On Maui, what is the significance of this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What are these?
Image351.jpg

The common "myth" is that they are Hawaiian prayer stacks. However as Halemano pointed out there really is no significance to them, but nevertheless it's a widespread occurance.

Aloha, Tim

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to top side topics in the Talk Story forum

I've seen tons stacked by crouching lion...and most recent out on Lizard rock

n610909705_342346_2005.jpg

it's way out there...

The eskimos in Canada do this to mark the trail for others. They call them Inukshuk, "The Image of Man".

Erected to make the way easier and safer for those who follow, an Inukshuk represents safety and nourishment, trust and reassurance. The Inukshuk guided people across the frozen tundra and gave them hope in barren places to handle hardships they encountered. These primitive, stone images showed the way ahead... pointing you in the direction you wanted to go. Had they been able to speak, I am certain they would have said... "Here is the road. It is safe. You can meet the demands that this path holds. You can reach your goals and attain your vision of where you want to be."

That's interesting Dennis - Kind of like trail markers. You know you're still on a marked trail when you see one.

Thanks, Tim

P.S I know ... different than our island "rock piles" but still interesting

Didn't they teach that in Girl/boy scouts too?

Dennis, do they have to be piled a certain way to show the direction?

That's interesting Dennis - Kind of like trail markers. You know you're still on a marked trail when you see one.
sure. you see stacked rocks used many places to mark trails when there's nothing else to use, like above treeline where there's no trees to put a paint blaze on. Called "cairns" around here and I'm sure the scouts hiking in those areas learn about them.

But if you can see 20 in all directions from where you're standing, certainly don't serve the purpose of marking a trail, unless you want to get everyone lost!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom