onboard compressor??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surface I myself have no financial backing whatsoever. My folks are in a different position.

CPT Hook they are actually looking for a full time captain and mate to start around 1st of Feb. Their broker set them up with one couple (interviewed with them on friday) but still looking. Guess this would be the wrong forum to advertise for that, or not?

Im typing to upload a pic of Carma (the name until my folks change it) but the only pics I have are in adobe reader and it wont let me copy the pics!!! Its a Hatteras, 2003 or 2004 (not sure) and is a nice boat!! I cant wait to spend some time on this with my friends, i mean some "quality family time" lol.

Yes im sure they are happy to spend whats right for the compressor, although i dont think they will buy used (bad past experiences).

J

sbrooks:
Not that I'm superstitious..

me neither, but so far i've had great luck with boats

(knock wood)

Make sure they have a good tender, at least a 14' RIB or so. A big boat like that will have to anchor off the wreck/reef and will not be really able to run after a drifting diver unless the Capt. is real good and knows divers.

I agree, dive off a tender. Avoids anchoring on the reef. In some cases the dive site might be a 100+ft site and you don't want to be anchoring in water that deep anyway.

A boat that big can easily have nitrox too!

Caught this thread as I am looking at a compressor as well.

Though in short, can I disown my parents for yours.

Surface Tension:
I would consider a diesel powered Bauer Capitano since the power for your boat will probably be diesel as well.

While I've heard great things about the Bauer's and the boat is most likely Diesel, why add another combustible engine under the decks. My suggestion would be if the GENSET has enough AC power to run it, then get an electric one instead of combustible fuel. Electric motor require less mantenance also. To me this is a simple choice if the Genset can handle it.

Might I suggest adding some air ducting to ventilate the compartment. Compressors put offf heat and a cooler compressor runs better.

Rubber vibration dampeners will make everyone on board happier also.

Also get some roll up rubber matting to assemble your scuba gear/tanks/weights on so it doesn't mark up the while finish. your folks will be very thankfull and so will the crew who had to clean up and repair any scuff marks.

CAPT HOOK:
Let's see 75 foot boat - needs USCG licensed Captain = I'm available!

What are the limits on that. As long as it was under 100 tons I didn't think you needed a license to pilot your own boat. (just curious).

If the compressor is not going to get used that much, why bother with one? They are enough of a pain to maintain on land - in the marine environment and in a small space, it makes for lots of fun, even with a rigorous maintenance program.
And they don't dive these suckers away.
Get your parents to buy you a rebreather like a Meg, a booster, some LP120s to decant from, and a booster. Probably cheaper and way cooler. You could power that from a non-breathing compressor that could run pneumatic tools to keep the boat running since repairs on a 75-footer never end.

I agree with Mike S that an electric is the way to go, and looking at that rig I'd say you'd have the juice to power it.

And compressors aren’t that hard to maintain, at least a small one. If I'm not using mine very often, I fire it up every couple weeks to turn it over. Oil doesn't need to be changed that often and the only other expendable is filters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom