One Cam Band or Two

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plus 1 for the two tank bands.......

Two bands move them further up and down the tank.....

More options for trim weight placement and if one band slips there is a second to hold the tank......

So for me two bands seems better than one.......:wink:

Hope this helps........M

For typical jacket BC's I prefer a scuba Pro type latch which will not pop loose accidentally. For a few single tank backplates I have which use a wing that is supposed to have an integrated STA, i found it essential to have two cam straps or the tank would wobble. On another BP I made a homemade STA that is larger and more functional and a single tank band works fine.

I'm sorry but I do not buy into the whole wetting the tank strap thing. I do agree that the nylon will stretch when it absorbs water, but this takes time. When ever I see a bunch of nubes down at the water dipping there b/c's in the water I have to laugh. There is no way the nylon is going to absorb enough water to cause it to stretch in the two minutes between dunking the b/c and tightening the strap. I think buy tightening the strap properly (IE. Remove the strap from the 3rd slot then pulling on the tag end while ratcheting the buckle back and fourth then reinstalling the tag end into the 3rd slot and then tightening down the buckle.) you should have no problem with tank slippage.

I'm sorry but I do not buy into the whole wetting the tank strap thing. I do agree that the nylon will stretch when it absorbs water, but this takes time. When ever I see a bunch of nubes down at the water dipping there b/c's in the water I have to laugh. There is no way the nylon is going to absorb enough water to cause it to stretch in the two minutes between dunking the b/c and tightening the strap. I think buy tightening the strap properly (IE. Remove the strap from the 3rd slot then pulling on the tag end while ratcheting the buckle back and fourth then reinstalling the tag end into the 3rd slot and then tightening down the buckle.) you should have no problem with tank slippage.

Thats all I'm sayin

When some of you get on hear and say ..ahh you need 2 cam bands cause I don't know how many times I've had to help/ seen peoples tanks come loose to...its crazy

It came loose cause it WASN'T TIGHTENED TO START WITH....jeeshhh

follow the above procedure and it won't come loose....period

I have seen very accomplished and experienced divers wetting the bands before diving.

Regarding the tank band issue, of course someone should secure it properly to begin with but because lots of people don't doesn't it make sense to have a second band just in case? And, even if both bands are incorrectly secured to begin with, there is less likelihood of the tank coming loose and dropping if there are 2 bands instead of 1.

Last edited:
I have seen very accomplished and experienced divers wetting the bands before diving.

Regarding the tank band issue, of course someone should secure it properly to begin with but because lots of people don't doesn't it make sense to have a second band just in case? And, even if both bands are incorrectly secured to begin with, there is less likelihood of the tank coming loose and dropping if there are 2 bands instead of 1.

just because alot of people are ( insert word here) doesn't mean we should have to idiot proof the world.

Not sure that 2 tank bands is really idiot proofing the world.......

Halcyon gear which seems to be the industry standard for DIR uses 2 tank bands as their standard.......

DIR is arguably the most gear specific and gear detailed diving philosophy out there.....:wink:

DSS, Dive Rite, Hollis and OMS also go with two tank straps as their standard.....

It seems to me that if 2 tank straps were not a better solution then why would all these suppliers go that route.......:confused:

I can also say that if I wet the bands on my rigs it is much easier to tighten them down....can I do them dry, yes, but it takes much more effort......so I will continue to wet the bands.....as it simply works better for me.......

M

The Apollo clamps gripping power isn't just a 'claim'......I've been diving them for years now (and actually have 8 of them installed across 4 different BC's) and they have VASTLY more gripping power than any other product on the market...plus I've gone further and custom modified/enhanced mime such that I doubt Godzilla himself could exert enough force to loosen my tanks once I've locked 'em down! :)
I have one of the Apollo bands and love it. I would be interested in knowing more about your modifications.

-Thomjinx

I prefer the two band system as I've seen tanks slip out with single bands. With single band you need to wet the band and tighten it really securely. There is also an Apollo clamp that claims to be more secure than the usual plastic cams.

With the double bands I don't bother wetting them and just keep them snug and the tank sits in solid.

The one draw back of the double bands is the occasional boat tank racks, where the lower band interferes with the rack.

Adam

I find that using the sccubapro tank band, regardless of the device (jacket or back-plate) there is no need to wet the band or do anything special, just set it correctly for the diameter of your tank once and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom