One day trip to Anilao from Manila ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regina55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I will be staying in Manila for 2 weeks next month for business purpose. I was thinking maybe I could go for diving on weekends when I am free. My initial idea was to stay for 3 nights in a resort and to do 5-6 dives in 2 days. Based on my quick research however it seemed accommodation rates in Batangas were above average than the places I have been in the philippines and there were not many options for a solo traveller. Then I was thinking of visiting the place just as a day trip. Head to Batangas in the early morning, do 2 or 3 dives and come back to Manila. What do you think? Would it be a big hassle to transfer from / to manila in a day?
Any advice will be appreciated :)

I am going to dive in Anilao for the first time in february next year. Transit takes roughly 2 hours and can be arranged vis most hotels/dive operators. Yes Anilao is a great place but because it is so closed to Manilla, people go there for the weekend and the place is more expensive than other locations. So avoid weekends if possible.

Private transfer is about US$100.00 one way!!!!
Bus is a lot cheaper but you have to start very early.
Weekend is the best time to dive Anilao as you get a lot divers from Manila to share the cost of the boat and dm.

You could join a group of locals going there and split gas/toll fees. But you are pretty much tied to what the group will be doing. When are you going?

I loved Anilao , I spent 5 days in Buceo and did two to three dives per day. The water was beautifully clear , the macro awesome with masses of nudis and a brilliant night dive under the pier. Buceo is not cheap but it's worth it and being by myself I always buddies the guide , which was fabulous.

You could check out the facebook pages of Manila Dive clubs and see if they are planning a trip at that time... The people in Buceo are really nice and they may be able to help with sharing transfer.

Just my personal advice , but I would just go for it personally.

Check out Planet Dive if you're traveling on your own. They will put you with a group so the diving is easier on the pocket, plus you get to make new friends! Great DM's, too!

I did 3 days at Arthurs Place in May. The thing to understand about Anilao is the pricing is for the boat and the DM. The costs are split among those on the boat. There is a variety of dive operations in Anilao. I did a web search and then just made inquiries and chose based on the responses I got. I went during the week with just my girlfriend so cost was a big factor for me. We were lucky in that 3 expats showed up on the last day and we were able to split costs with them. Weekend is the best time to go and try to join in with a group. In general I think as long as there's room, saving money is going to be a good thing :wink: Arthur's Place Dive Resort, Anilao Batangas - Anilao Diving, Scuba Diving, Macro & Muck Diving, Critter Diving

Another option you can consider is taking the ferry over to Puerto Galera. If you leave early in the morning on a Friday, you can be diving in Puerto Galera in the afternoon. I've caught the bus in Cubao at 8 AM (height of rush hour) and still made it to Batangas Pier in a little over 3 1/2 hours. The boat ride to Puerto Galera (Sabang is the ferry you want to where all the dive ops are) is roughly 1 hour 15 minutes to an 1 1/2 hours. Get up early would be my advice and shave as much as an hour off the bus ride. You can dive Friday afternoon, and all day Saturday and even get a dive in Sunday morning if you're organized. Catch the last ferry from Sabang back at 1PM. I'm in Puerto Galera now diving with Frontier. Dive Frontier Scuba: Great dive resort packages to Puerto Galera, Philippines

You're third option is to catch a bus to Olongapo City. Victory Liner has buses leaving throughout the day from Cubao to Olongapo. There are dive operations at SBMA and several in Barrio Baretto and Baloy Long Beach. I personally use Johans when I'm there. They normally make only 2 dives a day. Dive sites in Subic Bay can be spread out depending on which ones you are going too. Visibility in Subic Bay can be quite variable and weather dependent so be prepared for that. There is a tremendous amount of history in the waters there though and if you're into wreck diving it's a place you don't want to miss. I like the Olongapo area as there are plenty of things to do above water there too. Johan's Dive Resort - Johan's Beach and Dive Resort

Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help or point you in the right direction :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom