One more basic question: split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharky1948

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why are split fins (e.g., Split Jet) a problem? Not arguing the point...just don't understand.

Thanks in advance!

Try frog kicking for 30-40mins in the Twin Jets. Then switch to Jets, do the same. You'll never wear splits again.

I've been told split fins are great untill you encounter any kind of current when they become pretty much useless.

Yes.In open water their fine for flutter kicks,but areas where silt may be a factor the standard frog kick[in and out verses up and down]is tuff in splits as well as the hastle of the line,in cavern or caves getting caught in the groove.

Deleted inappropriate post for this forum - came to this thread through "New Posts" and didn't notice which forum. Sorry for the mixup!

I've got a pair of the Oceanic Vortex splits. After diving Dacor Tigers until I broke a pivot hinge it was an adjustment. I did a 2oo foot swim into the current on Stetson bank at the Flower Gardens. It wasn't any different. They work great with my dive style. I tend to stay pretty static and don't move around a lot. For instance when out at the "Gardens" I tend to spend most of my bottom time in the sand flats looking under the coral heads. I've found that small, slight flutters of my ankles don't mess up the vis and propel me enough not to scare anything off, while still getting me where I'm going. I'm still learning to fine tune my movements with them and can now go backwards when needed. Stopping is still a problem though.

Sharky1948:
Why are split fins (e.g., Split Jet) a problem? Not arguing the point...just don't understand.

Thanks in advance!
Sharky,

A stiff, unitary fin like a Jet is better suited for back and helicopter kicks. It's possible to do these kicks in split fins, but it's good bit harder. You can frog kick in splits, but their floppiness makes it harder to be precise with them.

I borrowed a pair of split fins this last weekend (Oceanic somethings, didn't pay TOO much attention to them, just couldn't fit my new fat boots into my fins, doh!) and overall they were pretty nice, but I managed to get a line from my reel caught in them numerous times when the reel came unclipped from my BCD and left about 20' of line behind me before I noticed it.

Another thing I didn't like, but isn't really a major issue, the "arms" or whatever of them would slap together once in a while and feel like I was hitting the bottom or another diver. I didn't figure out what I was running into until about my fourth dive with them, because every time I looked back there was nothing there to be hit.

divingjd:
In general, split fins require less effort than blade/paddle fins and therefore are less tiring and more efficient.
They require less effort because they're easier to kick with, and they don't produce as much thrust with each kick. They're easier to kick with due to the scuba industry trying to make up for people's shortcomings in technique with equipment.

SparticleBrane:
They require less effort because they're easier to kick with, and they don't produce as much thrust with each kick. They're easier to kick with due to the scuba industry trying to make up for people's shortcomings in technique with equipment.

... and poor fitness, and lack of stamina and all that rot.

"Blades give me cramps...." "my ankles hurt..."

Whatever. Put down the QPC, I can't understand you with your mouth full...

You can buy two and a half pairs of Jets for what you'd pay for a set of Atomic splits, and they'll last longer and deliver greater precision to your finning.

However, if you're not into precision finning or if you're only doing 50 dives a year or less (like most of the divers on the planet), then rock on with your bad splits. They'll be fine.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom