One of the Best Snorkeling Spots i have ever been to. GoPro video included BVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrew161

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
HD Snorkeling heaven Norman Island Caves - YouTube

Hello Guys, new to the forum here i thought i'd introduce myself with this video.

A very beautiful marine reserve in the British Virgin Islands called Norman Island Caves.

Saw a number of big Mutton and Dog Snappers and very big Parrot fish. Those fish would not let me get close enough with the GoPro and they looked small in the footage so I did not include them in the Video.

You will see a beautiful eagle ray that greeted us once we entered the water and yellowtails swarming as if they were piranha.

Tell me what you guys think
smile.gif
and feel free to criticize the edit i'd love to hear your feedback

HD Snorkeling heaven Norman Island Caves - YouTube

Incredibly...BAD FORM! Dude, you're feeding the fish. shm...

I guess i should have added that they tell you to take bread or dog treats in the water when in this spot. It is a protected spot no fishing allowed. The fish here are already "trained" to associate humans with food, its a tourist attraction.

Incredibly...BAD FORM! Dude, you're feeding the fish. shm...
Bad form and unimpressive fish life in the first place..

I guess i should have added that they tell you to take bread or dog treats in the water when in this spot. It is a protected spot no fishing allowed. The fish here are already "trained" to associate humans with food, its a tourist attraction.
Been to the Caves and the Indian's many times, never was told to take food to feed the fish. If I was, I'd know better.

Andrew, in case you're surprised by the negative response to something you perceived as a unique, exceptional experience, ... next time you go on a trip, try doing a simple shore entry stint with a friend or two, and take it all in once you're out there, the serenity of the UW landscape, the creatures you see, everything ... You may come to understand why most, if not all(too presumptuous??) of the folks in here will avoid the type of stuff shown in that clip like the plague ... Just some friendly advice:)

I thought it was a decent video (good quality) and that some of the other comments were a little harsh. Feeding some fish is not the end of world and is no where near as bad as standing on coral or crashing into it, which many novice snorkelers do. I suspect that many snorkeling tour boats in third world places still feed fish, as appears happened on the boat you were on. This has been illegal in places such as the Florida Keys and Hawaii for quite a while, although I remember when it was a common practice there. Strangely, it's illegal for divers/snorkelers to feed fish, while it's ok for fishermen to toss chum in the water to catch fish. Chumming is just another form of feeding fish. I do agree with ArubaAndi's previous comment that it would have been much more interesting if you video'd the natural things you found in the water rather than a bunch of sergeant majors dashing around for fish food. You say that this was "one of the best snorkeling spots you have ever been to", but video did not convey this and merely showed hoards of chubs and sergeants, which are the Caribbean species you always see in locations where people feed fish.

Andrew, in case you're surprised by the negative response to something you perceived as a unique, exceptional experience, ... next time you go on a trip, try doing a simple shore entry stint with a friend or two, and take it all in once you're out there, the serenity of the UW landscape, the creatures you see, everything ... You may come to understand why most, if not all(too presumptuous??) of the folks in here will avoid the type of stuff shown in that clip like the plague ... Just some friendly advice:)

I thought it was a decent video (good quality) and that some of the other comments were a little harsh. Feeding some fish is not the end of world and is no where near as bad as standing on coral or crashing into it, which many novice snorkelers do. I suspect that many snorkeling tour boats in third world places still feed fish, as appears happened on the boat you were on. This has been illegal in places such as the Florida Keys and Hawaii for quite a while, although I remember when it was a common practice there. Strangely, it's illegal for divers/snorkelers to feed fish, while it's ok for fishermen to toss chum in the water to catch fish. Chumming is just another form of feeding fish. I do agree with ArubaAndi's previous comment that it would have been much more interesting if you video'd the natural things you found in the water rather than a bunch of sergeant majors dashing around for fish food. You say that this was "one of the best snorkeling spots you have ever been to", but video did not convey this and merely showed hoards of chubs and sergeants, which are the Caribbean species you always see in locations where people feed fish.

I have never fed fish before and to be honest before this the thought hadn't even crossed my mind when i went snorkeling. But the place i went provided the bread and made it sound like it was "the thing" that people come to do at the caves.

My snorkeling adventures always go something like this other video:

Andrew Engel - YouTube
snorkeling part starts at 55sec

And I guess i'm sorry if the other video made anyone upset.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom