One of the few REAL new technology advances in Fins.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
[video]http://content.bitsontherun.com/previews/Snp3jfQ3-C3PNGnB0[/video]

I used these last weekend....I was amazed for freediving, and they were great for scuba--but not with my huge housed camera and lights-----the video solution for them is a go pro on each end of a wing, held in front of the diver while swimming--like a steady cam.

While you can swim alot faster with this wing fin than possible with traditional scuba fins, the real benefit is lack of effort or heart rate to go normal speeds...the ability to kick and glide for 20 feet like a dolphin....See the scuba diver doing this!!!

{ here is the link in a web page if you don't like the weird JWPlayer link...
http://www.sfdj.com/1/dolfin.htm )

Looks like fun. Now if they can figure out how to use it for back kicks, for helicopter turns, in tight places, etc. …

or modified dolphin kick? :)

Looks like fun. Now if they can figure out how to use it for back kicks, for helicopter turns, in tight places, etc. …

It is easy to do a 180 DEGREE reverse course type turn, or a 90....On the other hand, when I tried to shoot video of an octopus in a hole, I was wishing I had my DiveR freedive fins instead, with reverse or helicopter as an unthinking and instant solution to getting into position....with these, there may be a better way than I used, but I don't see this as the core use ( Ron Smith, the inventor of this, can maneuver pretty well with his version of a helicopter kick--but it was not intuitive enough for me to get this in 2 dives:) ....the core use is the scuba sight seeing or cruising Go Pro video...Or any freediving.

Now, if we could have streamlined scuba gear with faired tanks with internal compensation like we used to have. Then we might give the fish a race.

Maybe twin 30s side mounted to ride in the shoulder, arms slipstream. Mini-BC built into the wetsuit.

I do not think that will fit into my carry-on suitcase though.

N

This is kind of like a snowboard for divers?
In the good old days, skiers just had skis. Their 2 feet flapped about in an uncoordinated manner. Then came the snowboard. Both feet firmly strapped together.
seems the underwater world has made a new old discovery?

If you're going that fast across the reef, how are you going to see anything?

If you're going that fast across the reef, how are you going to see anything?

Are you saying that dolphins and sharks are defective, due to the speed they are capable of underwater? :)

This lets you go from patch reef, to the next patch reef, as fast as you want, and then when over the area of interest, you can hover, or go as slow as you want....

Are you saying that dolphins and sharks are defective, due to the speed they are capable of underwater? :)

I am surprised that you made such a silly comment. Sharks and other fish really don't need to see a thing because they have a great sense of small and a lateral line. I am sure dolphins have something similar.

I am surprised that you made such a silly comment. Sharks and other fish really don't need to see a thing because they have a great sense of small and a lateral line. I am sure dolphins have something similar.

Have you ever seen a blind fish on a reef? me either. I think vision is important for fish and by the way dolphins CAN use echolocation extremely effectively.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom