Online computers heres the deal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
This is following another post I made awhile back. 10 days before my trip to Utila on a lake dive my Suunuto Cobra went bezerk it told me I was at 145ft sitting on my trucks tailgate putting my gear together.Took out the battery put in new etc.etc. It only showed psi which was correct all other info was insane,made the dive anyway. So I sent it back to LP and they did not know how long it would take to get it fixed. So I emailed Larry at ScubaToys.com and he said he would match LP price so I went to Dallas one day before my trip and bought a Aeris Elite with transmitter, wanted to try a less conservitive computer the Suunuto was like going on a date and taking my mom along.Ok on nitrox, but could not hang with other divers in Coz on air on the second dive had to switch to nitrox to keep up with the wisdoms-uwatecs-and pelagics.So off I go to Utila the Aeris lost the signal on all dives but one but it always came back one time after 10 minutes,not good after 30 minutes into a dive. Then got home tried to down load into computer had a software glich. Emailed Larry at scuba toys he said bring it back I will replace it,cool.So I went over to the shop and said hey I had a Suunuto take a sh#t on me the Aeris kinda worked but had problems and I know you will replace it BUT I am alittle nervous now with ALL computers period!! I asked if we could do a deal and let me pay the difference and try a Uwatec air z he said sure this guy justs want to make you happy. He took all the aeris stuff back gave me credit and off I went with the new uwatec, and some impulse purchases. Next day helping in a class I never lost the signal, this is a good thing. As for the Cobra emailed LP a month later and was told it was sent to be repaired I asked how long got email back 2 to 4 weeks. So it will take 2 months plus, Larry fixed the problem with one email. Scuba Toys.com are awesome you folks need to check them out these guys and Larry in peticular are stand up folks . I went back on a Saturday and the parking lot was 2/3 full and it is a good size lot they know all about customer service and it really shows try them.IMHO

Here are the facts of my dealings with LP. I invite Max, the store manager, to dispute any of them. (Hint: Max, I saved all of our emails about the following):

(1) I bought an aeris atmos elite from LP. I was weary of buying such an important item online, but was assured by the salesman (AND their website) that they would provide an equal or better warranty.

(2) I had signal problems (kept losing my signal).

(3) I called aeris, who acknowledged that the problem existed in some units. They told me to send it in to them and that it would take approx. 2 weeks to repair. I told them that I bought it through LP, and they insisted that I have LP send it to them.

(4) I call LP and they agree to send it back to Aeris for me. I asked how long it would take. They told me two MONTHS. I asked why it would take them 6 additional weeks while Aeris told me that they only needed 2 weeks. LP gave the following reasons:

(a) LP did not want to send my unit alone back to aeris. They wanted to wait (perhaps a week or two) until they had other units to send with it, presumably to save on some shipping.

(b) LP explained that manufacturers typically fix the units from warranty holders first, before turning to units sold by LP. So utimately, items purchased from LP take longer to repair.

(5) I was outraged and demanded to speak to the general manager, Max. I asked "how could this be an equal or better warranty if I have to go without my computer for 6 additional weeks just because I bought it through you?"

(6) After a great deal of protesting, Max agreed to send the computer out immediately. It wound up only sitting in the store for about 3 days.

(7) I explained my sitaution to Aeris and they were kind enough to rush the repair. It took 2 weeks.

(8) The unit was scheduled to be returned to me just before my dive trip and there was a chance it wouldn't arrive in time, so I asked Aeris and Max (LP) to have it shipped directly to me.

(9) Max refused, because it would "mess up his paperwork." I insisted and kept mentioning all of the business I had given them in this year alone. Ultimately, he made me sign a waiver releasing him from any liability should the unit not reach me.

(10) Happy ending: I got my atmos elite back in time for the trip; it works great now.

Morale of the story: I only saved a few bucks ($25?) buying the computer from LP. I would have been waiting 2 months for my computer to be repaired if I hadn't been so pushy with them. Their "service" is horrible. They care more about saving a few bucks on shipping or whether their paperwork would be more difficult than their customers, even the ones that spend thousands in their store. They are rude and have absolutely no business sense.

I will never spend another cent in their store. I've found that my LDS will come damn close to their prices, and other web sites will usually match them.

Advice to new divers: If you must, use them for the cheap prices and selection on cheaper items (e.g. a mask strap that you can't find anywhere). But be careful about buying large ticket items from them. Try to get your LDS to come close and spend the few extra dollars. Trust me, you won't regret it....

PS: All of LP's salespeople regularly post on this board. Take every post with a grain of salt!

Got Screwed:
PS: All of LP's salespeople regularly post on this board. Take every post with a grain of salt!

Really? What are their usernames?

I had my share of unpleasantry at LP and I second that some of their reps are quite rude. Pretty amusing thing to witness considering they know nothing about diving.

I am pretty much limiting my interaction with this shop to buying fins and masks only.

We all live and learn. Glad to here MORE about Scubatoys since I am looking at buying a BC through them.

Got Screwed:

I wonder how many other companies staff post on this board?

PonyBottle:
I wonder how many other companies staff post on this board?
Well, Larry from ScubaToys.com is "scubatoys". (But don't tell anyone that it was me who let his secret identity be known! LOL)

-Rob

Allison Finch:
Man, I thought "scubatoys" were, like, you know, adult stuff!
Hey these guys are great! Covered my Butt and great deals. And Larry stands behind what he sells. If I buy a big ticket item that may go bezerk I buy it from him he will make it right and save your dive trip. I will drive the many miles to his shop it is worth it. He is the real deal!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom