online scuba sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosco and BrassPro sells USD fins, mask and snorkel kits plus wet suits and boots much cheaper than any dive shop around the GTA for the casual diver who isn't to worried about quality when they have several children and a wife to outfit for a family trip every winter as they have a larger market and volume of customers these items are the bread and butter for dive shops not the high end gear. Some manufacturer of scuba gear are now on Ebay offering better prices than retailers with free shipping through out Canada and the US "There getting smart".

Nothing to fear, unless it is your job that is lost.
Simple fact is fewer LDS around less new people getting into activity as it will not be as visible to them.Less new people in activity means less demand for gear.Less demand for gear creates higher cost for gear that is available..

Actually, less demand for gear should, initially, create lower retail prices as the supply side should be overstocked and seeking reduce that stockage. Then it is a question of how much the market will have to readjust and how that process will settle. Since free market competitive pricing is not the current rule in scuba retail, it seems it might be hard to predict the outcome. But I would expect we would see a reduction in the number of brand names and I see no good reason why prices would necessarily jump. After all, the reduced market would have to compete with perfectly adequate used gear for quite some time.

Yes, some people would be forced to change their livelihoods. But do you really think divers should support the retail scuba industry just to keep all those scuba industry personnel employed???

In the last 10 years I have not purchased one thing from a Dive shops I can get all I need on line this is just the way things are today its a easier process for my busy schedule. I've always owned my compressors and serviced my own gear and that will not change as long as I'm diving. A word to dive shop owners in Ontario learn to smile and say hello to your customers when they walk in your door and work with other dive shops and clubs to generate enthusiasm in the sport because it seems to be on a decline. I stopped going to dive shops simply because I got tired of listening to dive shop owners bickering about what the other dive shops or individual instructors were doing that they didn't like.

If you add value then you will do well... And that doesn't mean just the price of products... I deal with my LDS because they are good people, they provide good service and give me a bit of a discount also... it's not just cost, it's the gesture, appreciation for my business... I have purchased things from LP also but only if it could not be found at my LDS and ordering it through them does not make sense from the time and cost perspective... There is a place for both online and local retailers, the local retailers that stick to the fundamentals e.g. good customer service, community involvement, good product mix will continue to do just fine...

Good customer service can't justify a $255 price difference on a $ $800 reg package... I will buy local only if its in the ballpark! Online sales are a competitive advantage that LDS's should monitor and compete with.
I believe most people considering a "major" purchase research on line. LP sells for $500 dollars... shipping to Ontario $35 extra dollars.... $10 brokerage fee... $545 Why would I pay $800 for exactly the same thing?
Just my opinion!

Well...

I just finished paying $60 for a new snorkel at my LDS. I got home and checked out what is would be an hour away in US - $33-40 :/. Most people would say that's my fault for not knowing. But if I research and purchase the snorkel about an hour down the road in the US (which I visit regularly) than I'm guilty on Canadian dive industry treason. This is the reality in Canada - it needs to change.

It's time for a new business model to emerge that acknowledges the realities of an on-line and global marketplace. Consumers should do what they are supposed to do - look for the better bargain. LDSs do what they are supposed to do and try to competitively offer a better bargain or leave the market. That should be done without relying on manufacturers and governments to carve out a segment of business through protective pricing/warranty nonsense and tariffs.

Perhaps there are simply too many dive shops (and perhaps instructors) in the area. Maybe focussing on equipment rental, servicing, and training is a better approach and leave equipment sales to one larger dive equipment retailer. Maybe it's time for a co-operative...

I don't have all the answers but I do know all of us can't be astronauts.

/rant

-SD

Well guys maybe insted of giving your hard earned dollar to US economy and create jobs for them not for us look for local diveshop who offer you better deal. I just did quick price check with big US onliner like LeasurePro and look at the price we offer at Learn to scuba dive at AquaSub Scuba Diving Centre located in Richmond Hill, Ontario PADI 5 Star IDC facility your one stop dive shop
lets look at couple of bigger ticket items
regulator Abyss 22
Aquasub price $499 assembled at the shop,lifetime warranty , free tuning between annual service
LeisurePro $498.95 sent in the box before you can look at it or try, not covered by Canadian warranty

Mares Hybrid BCD
Aquasub price $595, customer can try it for size, we explain how everything works,covered by 2 yrs warranty
LeisurePro price $594.95 wait for the box to arrive and hopefully it fits you,no Canadian warranty

You can go all day and compare prices.
you suggest we should do something else and leave sales to big onliners........why ? I think we do great job teaching people to dive and sell them equipment.

On the other hand I can buy my SUV for $10000 less in us then in Canada. If I buy it there no warranty. i don't here you complaining about this and telling car dealers to leave sales to big US company.All I hear om this board is complaining about dive industry in Canada, how bad we are and try to rip you off? Really ???

Well guys maybe insted of giving your hard earned dollar to US economy and create jobs for them not for us look for local diveshop who offer you better deal.

That's the point .. they don't offer a better deal. If you walk into the shops there are no prices on anything. It's as if the shops are run in such a manner as to inhibit the consumers ability to shop intelligently. There was one shop that briefly offered to match prices on their website (I subsequently purchase most stuff from them). That said I still paid about 5% more for stuff. I don't mind that - I don't mind supporting businesses trying to offer good value.

When I shop for diving equipment I don't want the same sales experience as dealing with a used car salesman. I think most people don't. If an LDS doesn't want to state a pricing policy or show prices upfront then I think we should turn around and walk out. Good retailers typically do this... if its a great deal why not be upfront about it.

I just did quick price check with big US onliner like LeasurePro and look at the price we offer at Learn to scuba dive at AquaSub Scuba Diving Centre located in Richmond Hill, Ontario PADI 5 Star IDC facility your one stop dive shop
lets look at couple of bigger ticket items
regulator Abyss 22
Aquasub price $499 assembled at the shop,lifetime warranty , free tuning between annual service
LeisurePro $498.95 sent in the box before you can look at it or try, not covered by Canadian warranty

Mares Hybrid BCD
Aquasub price $595, customer can try it for size, we explain how everything works,covered by 2 yrs warranty
LeisurePro price $594.95 wait for the box to arrive and hopefully it fits you,no Canadian warranty

You can go all day and compare prices.

I have looked all day at prices. To be fair I typically use a site that is slightly more expensive then LeisurePro simply to give LDS's a bit of margin. None of them have been able to match any price for stuff in my experience.

That said, how about this one - fins that retail at Leisure Pro about $50 on sale for about $25 are $80 at the LDS. Seriously - 60% over suggested retail. I'd show you links for both but as I said the LDS doesn't seem to like putting pricing information on the net. The only way to know is to walk in, point, ask, then enter into negotiations. What nonsense .. price match or advertise your prices.

Not all shops are price competitive in Canada. Maybe some are GTA because they have enough volume but not here. An LDS told me themselves they can't be competitive with US retailers. That is usually followed up with a quick launch into a into a brokerage/tariff discussion to justify the deal they offer :/.

you suggest we should do something else and leave sales to big onliners........why ? I think we do great job teaching people to dive and sell them equipment.

Do you think all dive shops are doing a great job of selling equipment? Maybe you are ... but that is not my experience. They may be great dive instructors but that doesn't mean they are good retailers. And if you look at the message - you'll find no assertion to leave retailing to big on-liners. Just a consolidation of smaller LDS retailers and/or a co-operative.

And by the way, on-line retailers are doing a great job helping people too. In fact they are becoming quite savvy at it.

On the other hand I can buy my SUV for $10000 less in us then in Canada. If I buy it there no warranty. ]i don't here you complaining about this and telling car dealers to leave sales to big US company.

You clearly know nothing about me :) I've had my kicks at the can with this topic over several years. But the fact that an automotive industry is trying to put us over a barrel is no justification for any other industry to do so. And by the way, many US auto purchases do have a warranty in Canada despite what tripe the local dealership tells you. And even if it wasn't valid .. is the warranty really worth that much? ( And don't even get me started on frieght charges that are higher for Canadians within 50 km of the Canadian manufacturing plant then 2000 km away in the southern US. Figure that one out.)

All I hear om this board is complaining about dive industry in Canada, how bad we are and try to rip you off? Really ???

Look at my message again... I said nothing about leaving equipment sales to a US company. I'm talking about a capitulation in the number of dive shops trying to offer a better deal to survive of the onslaught of big on-liners.

Lastly, and I have no idea about your shop, but any business that charges over suggested retail for equipment (like I recently was) really are ripping us off. If not, how exactly do you define "ripping people off"?

EDIT: I visited your site. Actually your stuff is reasonably priced, publicly available, and a price guarentee. There are quite a few shops around my parts that could learn something from your site.

-SD

I see a problem with the scuba gear distributers (I'm not a retailer so please feel free to correct me Norbert). Far too many times I have gone to my LBS and have been told, "I can order one for you, it should be here in a week or so". I understand that a dive shop has to purchase the gear it displays and sells and is on the hook if it doesn't sell. Perhaps the distributers could stock a store with product and only invoice the retailer when something actually is sold to a customer. The other problem I see with distribution (and once again Norbert can correct me if I am wrong) is that if you carry one distributers line you cannot carry certain other ones. For instance, if you carry Atomic regulators you cannot carry Apex (not sure if that's true I am just using it as an example). A fully stocked store would keep me from ever going on-line shopping.

Bob

My LDS is great - but can be pricey. I told them straight up on one of my first visits that I don't mind paying slightly more (in my case 9% sales tax more) to keep my business local if they cna match the online, free shipping prices on the same item. If it is a high $ item, then we work out a little wriggle room to cut down on the 9% some.

Some things they can work with me on, and I purchase. Some things they can't, and I order online. No hard feelings either way. I know the LDS owner/staff is working hard to make a profit, keep customers happy, train new divers, etc. but I work hard for my money as well and try to get the biggest bang for my $ that I can.

That means no impulse buys and research everything. Why would I pay $75 for a reel from the LDS when I can order the exact same one online, with free shipping, for $45?

Just my $.02.

Back
Top Bottom