online scuba sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did I miss this thread?

My not-so local dive shop, let's call them "A" that we use charges the same net prices that lesuirepro charges. And that doesn't even take into account the horrendous fedex charges which are usually $50+ and currency fluctuations. In the past when we were just snorkeling I got fins, masks etc from LP. The LDS -(B)where we did our classroom has some crazy pricing that comes down by 5% (or is it 10%?) when you've done a course with them. Still ends up too high (Cobalt -$1400) and we made the mistake of taking the equipment course with this outfit and ended up paying through the ass when the $100 each (x3 of us) was added to the course fee for "joining" that would get us discounts for further courses. It got better, the course was taught by the owner who thought that spending over half the course showing how he built a regulator from common household parts (including a home made video of same) was a good idea, 30 minutes would have sufficed. Thankfully a fellow classmate asked at the end how to take care of a BCD or else he wouldn't have bothered teaching it. We soon signed up with A

With A we went all out at this store with 3 whole sets of regs, bcd's, suits, comps, fins etc. All prices matching lesuirepro and 3 Atomic Cobalts for an even $1k each. We've also had our share of equipment problems and while one took a while to resolve (the owner went away for a few weeks) all was resolved with a new bcd from a different company. I have the say the staff here are simply amazing and the dm who has taught us so far is a gem. I didn't get into what happened with my young son with B during our pool work for our OPW.... some guys just don't work well with kids. There was also another LDS we've dealt with which was OK but emails have simply gone unanswered.

It took us a while but we finally found the best of both worlds, great service and prices! Can't wait until next summer when our son turns 12 and we can finish our master scuba diver.

Well guys maybe insted of giving your hard earned dollar to US economy and create jobs for them not for us look for local diveshop who offer you better deal. I just did quick price check with big US onliner like LeasurePro and look at the price we offer at Learn to scuba dive at AquaSub Scuba Diving Centre located in Richmond Hill, Ontario PADI 5 Star IDC facility your one stop dive shop
lets look at couple of bigger ticket items
regulator Abyss 22
Aquasub price $499 assembled at the shop,lifetime warranty , free tuning between annual service
LeisurePro $498.95 sent in the box before you can look at it or try, not covered by Canadian warranty

Mares Hybrid BCD
Aquasub price $595, customer can try it for size, we explain how everything works,covered by 2 yrs warranty
LeisurePro price $594.95 wait for the box to arrive and hopefully it fits you,no Canadian warranty

You can go all day and compare prices.
you suggest we should do something else and leave sales to big onliners........why ? I think we do great job teaching people to dive and sell them equipment.

On the other hand I can buy my SUV for $10000 less in us then in Canada. If I buy it there no warranty. i don't here you complaining about this and telling car dealers to leave sales to big US company.All I hear om this board is complaining about dive industry in Canada, how bad we are and try to rip you off? Really ???

is it just me? the prices im getting on leisure pro are much lower.. for instance i got the abyss 22 for 374 and i'm seeing the hybrid for 400...

for me online shopping is a way of life because where i live people tend to mark stuff up significantly because there are limited options... however my LDS did offer me this:

price it online... and i will give you it @ a competitive price... that model i can work with...

I believe in supporting LDS's where fiscally possible but...

Can anyone in the dive retail industry explain the warranty side of scuba equipment?

Regulator "A" comes off of the assembly line and ships north to Canada to an authorized dealer. Identicle regulator "B" comes off of the line and ships to U.S. authorized dealer.
Both of these regs have a manufacturers warranty coming off of the line.
If I live in Canada and I purchased the U.S. regulator when on vacation in the US... no warranty! I purchase the reg here in Canada full warranty.
Am I over-simplifying or missing something?

With A we went all out at this store with 3 whole sets of regs, bcd's, suits, comps, fins etc. All prices matching lesuirepro

Don't get too excited, you're only matching them online. If you CALL them, you will get SIGNIFICANTLY discounted prices on many items. They're not allowed to advertise those prices but when you call, it's a whole new ballgame. If your local store can match THOSE prices, then you're doing really well.

is it just me? the prices im getting on leisure pro are much lower.. for instance i got the abyss 22 for 374 and i'm seeing the hybrid for 400...

for me online shopping is a way of life because where i live people tend to mark stuff up significantly because there are limited options... however my LDS did offer me this:

price it online... and i will give you it @ a competitive price... that model i can work with...

Maybe you are looking at used stuff, this is what I see

Mares Hybrid BC with MRS Plus System

And

Mares Abyss 22 Regulator

Anyway in my opinion customer should look for
equipment the same way as we look for supplier. There are many different manufacture I can deal with as a dive shop but for me the most important factor is service. If company cannot provide me with good service, it's very hard for me to give the best service to the customer. When customer look for example to buy lets say high performance cold water regulator , what should he buy ? Sherwood regulator, Aqualung, Atomic, Mares, Poseidon. Every company I mentioned has good regulators and there are few more you can choose from. The best regulator is the one you can service without trouble of sending it away. No matter how good regulator is, if you don't have proper service you have no safe equipment to dive with.
We match American prices from American suppliers although it costs us more to get their products. We work hard like our American colleagues but for less financial rewards.

maybe its my browser lol... because when i click your links i get:

Reg:
List Price: $620.00
Our Price: $498.95
Your price: $374.95

BCD:
List Price: $660.00
Our Price: $594.95 - $599.00
Your price: $399.95

i agree with you on the service bit though.. thats why i only order stuff online that my LDS services and what they assure me they can service

I have about 15-20 Local Dive Stores within 20 miles of my house but I prefer to service my regs (Atomics, Mares, Poseidon) at:

AirTech Scuba Services; Raleigh, NC Toll Free: 866-287-0850

They're the best and most reliable. (I'm pretty sure that when guys say "local", you mean you need service in your own country).

I believe in supporting LDS's where fiscally possible but...

Can anyone in the dive retail industry explain the warranty side of scuba equipment?

Regulator "A" comes off of the assembly line and ships north to Canada to an authorized dealer. Identicle regulator "B" comes off of the line and ships to U.S. authorized dealer.
Both of these regs have a manufacturers warranty coming off of the line.
If I live in Canada and I purchased the U.S. regulator when on vacation in the US... no warranty! I purchase the reg here in Canada full warranty.
Am I over-simplifying or missing something?

Something about having different suppliers .. one Canadian the other American. We are told that the warranty resides with the supplier and does not extend outside of our border.

Personally I think it has more to do with respecting each other's sales turf and associated pricing policies.

---------- Post Merged at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:31 PM ----------

How did I miss this thread?

My not-so local dive shop, let's call them "A" that we use charges the same net prices that lesuirepro charges. And that doesn't even take into account the horrendous fedex charges which are usually $50+ and currency fluctuations. In the past when we were just snorkeling I got fins, masks etc from LP. The LDS -(B)where we did our classroom has some crazy pricing that comes down by 5% (or is it 10%?) when you've done a course with them. Still ends up too high (Cobalt -$1400) and we made the mistake of taking the equipment course with this outfit and ended up paying through the ass when the $100 each (x3 of us) was added to the course fee for "joining" that would get us discounts for further courses. It got better, the course was taught by the owner who thought that spending over half the course showing how he built a regulator from common household parts (including a home made video of same) was a good idea, 30 minutes would have sufficed. Thankfully a fellow classmate asked at the end how to take care of a BCD or else he wouldn't have bothered teaching it. We soon signed up with A

With A we went all out at this store with 3 whole sets of regs, bcd's, suits, comps, fins etc. All prices matching lesuirepro and 3 Atomic Cobalts for an even $1k each. We've also had our share of equipment problems and while one took a while to resolve (the owner went away for a few weeks) all was resolved with a new bcd from a different company. I have the say the staff here are simply amazing and the dm who has taught us so far is a gem. I didn't get into what happened with my young son with B during our pool work for our OPW.... some guys just don't work well with kids. There was also another LDS we've dealt with which was OK but emails have simply gone unanswered.

It took us a while but we finally found the best of both worlds, great service and prices! Can't wait until next summer when our son turns 12 and we can finish our master scuba diver.

I always insist on USPS for shipping. No brokerage fees and great service.

UPS (or at least the last time I used them) are stone-cold nutcases. I was charged $45 brokerage fee for a $55 part a few years ago. Never again.

---------- Post Merged at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:31 PM ----------

I see a problem with the scuba gear distributers (I'm not a retailer so please feel free to correct me Norbert). Far too many times I have gone to my LBS and have been told, "I can order one for you, it should be here in a week or so". I understand that a dive shop has to purchase the gear it displays and sells and is on the hook if it doesn't sell. Perhaps the distributers could stock a store with product and only invoice the retailer when something actually is sold to a customer. The other problem I see with distribution (and once again Norbert can correct me if I am wrong) is that if you carry one distributers line you cannot carry certain other ones. For instance, if you carry Atomic regulators you cannot carry Apex (not sure if that's true I am just using it as an example). A fully stocked store would keep me from ever going on-line shopping.

Bob

Yes.. that stuff goes on all over the place. It sounds like anti-competitive behavior to me. Who monitors that in Canada? The Competition Bureau. The government department that allows auto manufacturers to hose us and has concluded several times that there is no gas price fixing in Canada. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to do anything about it...

UPS are still insane.... Even on my commercial invoices they are obsessed with charging me with duty when it's NAFTA made products. Hence I've got my supplier to switch me to FedEx. Never thought of calling LP but I'm loaded with gear.

As for warranty that is the last redoubt of many products against online sales. I just bought a Panerai watch from a grey market dealer in the US. No 2yr warranty if you don't buy from an authorized dealer. HA! I'm not paying full retail (one 1 store in the GTA) and not going into a jewelery store is a bonus (I always get the "look"). The grey market dealer gives a 2yr warranty anyway so it's win win and a lot of $ saved, not to mention I got above par.

Personally though the reg and bcd I would probably still buy locally just for the service and warranty. I have to admit I got gopro's and lights inbound that were 20% off us retail with minimal shipping. Just too good to pass up.

The internet is just something that retail stores will either have to adapt to or die, I know in the UK something like 1 out of 6 purchases are online. Time to really concentrate on customer service? -in this regard I see a lot of casualties.

Last edited:
Your always going to be charged those taxes and if you qualify as a retailer you can reclaim them later if you have a import number. UPS and FEDEX will charge you tax on there services and Customs
will on any imported product taxes do. There is a LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT import code that must be indicated on the import documentation of such equipment if if follows under that code. a BCD is not concidered life support but a emergency 02 systems is. Its a complicated clssification system to follow.

Back
Top Bottom