Only AL80's allowed for Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have other size tanks for those qualified to use them such as doubles, Al 40's stage bottles, steel and Al 100's, and steel 85's. We even rent CCR bottles.

Granted a lot of the time's these dives aren't planned as deco dives so more gas is not needed. Some shops, such as ours, schedule double dips on these wrecks which lend itself to planned deco dives. As long as you have the cert's and experience then these extended dives are not an issue.

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,
what makes one qualified to use them? what are you looking for there?

Recently I organized a series of wreck dives in Key Largo, including a night dive on the Duane with Conch Republic (thanks so much Gary) and a double dip wreck dive.

In each case, with an experience crew of divers that either have prior experience with the dive operation (or were vouched for and verified by the group leader), large steel tanks (with pony/bail out bottles) or doubles were utilized. The trips were not "mixed" in with more standard wreck dives trips although we all commonly utilize larger tanks on regular wreck trips as well. For standard trips we limit our practical total dive time (including all safety/deco stops) to the 45 minute range. This means worst case the other less experienced divers are not waiting unreasonable long on the surface.

In conclusion, I am surprised that your Op does not allow a bit more flexibility, but I am sure it is more based on the lack of familiarity with you and your group than any standard policy. While many ops don't offer the variety of tanks that Conch or other full service operations do, I personally have never been on a Upper Keys boat that would not allow larger steel personal tanks. In nearly every case doubles use is only limited by the ability to store/rack the rig.

We have other size tanks for those qualified to use them such as doubles, Al 40's stage bottles, steel and Al 100's, and steel 85's. We even rent CCR bottles.

Granted a lot of the time's these dives aren't planned as deco dives so more gas is not needed. Some shops, such as ours, schedule double dips on these wrecks which lend itself to planned deco dives. As long as you have the cert's and experience then these extended dives are not an issue.

Good Diving,

It seems that's all the charter will supply me with for a dive.

Are there not charters that set divers up with a something for a little longer BT?

most of our wreck dives are double dips these days, allowing the recreational diver 2 dives and anyone else to do a longer dive within their level of qualification, experience and personal comfort, up to a max of about 2.5hrs on a regular 'double dip' trip.

As for tanks, I allow anything you care to use as long as you dont use an additional bottle (pony, stage, deco, sidemount, etc) as back gas to extend your bottom time if you are not qualified to do so. This means rec divers are welcome to take as much redundancy as they like and tech divers can take whatever back, stage & deco gas they require for their profile, level of training and comfort.

I rent double AL80's with Halcyon DIN manifolds and Highland Mill bands, AL40 & 80 stage and deco bottles with Halcyon rigged stage kits, and HP worthington steel 130's again with Halcyon manifold and highland mill bands.

For the recreational diver, I also have steel 100's and 120's.

Check out our WreckFest event, the biggest ocean tech dive event in the country, where there will be dozens of all types and sizes of OC and RB tanks being used on the boats, with every type of profile, deco model, computers, tables etc being run.

Silent World: Wreckfest

Good Diving,

Conch Republic is the solution to your problem!

A group of us dove with them last month and we were all on rebreathers. They were able to schedule double dips on the SG and the Eagle for us, and therefore able to satisfy the needs of both the recreational divers and the rebreather/technical divers on the trip.

If it's at all possible, Conch Republic will bend over backwards to ensure that you have a great day of diving!!

Adrian

I had asked them for doubles and a pony. They said that they will only supply me with an AL80. That if I insist on diving doubles, I will have to pay a guide to dive with me.
I decided to rent larger capacity tanks elswhere and hope I don't get yelled at. I'd rather not name them. They're located in Key Largo though.

Not all charters are doing a Spiegel trip in the afternoon during the week. That was my first challenge.

I realize you talking the Keys but Jupiter dive center rents larger tanks and so does a few dive ops in NC i would think any place that has deeper or wreck dives would give you that option

I dove with Blue Water Divers in Key Largo. They had no problems with me bringing doubles. I believe they will also do afternoon wreck dives as long as there are enough divers signed up for the trip.

They have a shop with tanks. It's not a reef dive at 30 ft. I thought maybe they would have something a little different to choose from. I'm not even allowed to bring doubles for that dive.

Call Brent at Bluewater, I dive my doubles off his boat. Capt Gary at Conch Republic shares the philosophy. Oh, ask Gary about his double 1000's!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom