Onondaga Dive 5/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as always Ed, nice video!! Hydroids everywhere. Definitely looked like the current was moving pretty good, glad everything worked out. Too bad I missed out on the learning opportunity :(.

Now you can see why I was telling you to get a reel and SMB.

The current was maybe only about 0.5 kts but strengthening by the time I came up. It was probably a bit worse by the time Ed hit the surface. I came up early because I wanted to make sure the boat wasn't unmanned with the tide turning. Just in case we had to chase someone.... which as it happens we did....

I used Nobeltec's web site for a while, they had an accurate current prediction web page. They're no longer running it but I used it enough to know the best time to enter the water at the Daga is 1:45 mins after the predicted high or low tide for Watch Hill Pt. You might have seen me running in circles nearby in the white Seaswirl Striper playing with my transducer-on-a-stick sidescan.

Well, they knew when the best time was. They anchored in early and waited for slack tide while eating watermelon and chips & dip. They all dozed off swaying to the gentle rocking of the waves. Then a boat came by and yelled ODIN!!! And they all woke up (at least RIO did and warned the others the current is picking up). They all rushed in not realizing they were drifting like sea turtles in the Gulf Stream.. The rest we know.

Thats my gues LOL. Glad you all made it back to the boat.

When did SharkBait change to Sharkbite?

Thats my gues LOL. Glad you all made it back to the boat.

Your theory is more entertaining than the reality. :D

We knew when the tide was, we just were late getting off the boat ramp and therefore late getting to the dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom