Ontario Wreck Database (GPS Co-ord?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VERY CAREFULLY!! We have a 5000 lb lift bag. We find blocks around Coast Guard navigation bouys and steal them :D
The Coast Guard bouy tenders don't dive, so when they replace bouys in the spring they "try" to grapple the old block and if they don't get it in a couple of trys they just put down another block.

So we take the ones not being used. We hook up the lift bag, float them to the surface then tow them to the wreck with a dive boat {at about 2 knots} then slowly drop them to the wreck (hopefuly not hitting the wreck) It takes about 6-7 hours to do one block AND flat calm weather. We use the line that will be the mooring line as the tow rope, so when we lower the block beside the wreck the tow line becomes the new mooring line. All this is done by local sport divers, no commerical divers. But most of us have been diving for at least a couple of weeks :wink:

About 4 years ago the Canadian Coast Guard dropped 6 blocks for us out near some wrecks with their bouy tender ship the "Griffon" free of charge to help POW we then moved them close in to the wreck. About 12 years ago we had a bouy block dropped on the "Monarch" {Tug in Sarina 60'depth} and it ripped a huge hole in the deck and mangled the steering gear. So I didn't want them getting to close :eek:

and most of them within 1000 feet, not to shabby a couple of days searching and bingo your on a wreck.

Jim at Big Jim's charters in kingston is pretty much the best of the charters (IMHO). Plus his wife is president of Preserve Our Wrecks (POW) so I think he has a PRETTY good idea where the wrecks are.

And as a big bonus, he's a SCUBABOARD member!

:wink:

canuckdiver once bubbled...
Jim at Big Jim's charters in kingston is pretty much the best of the charters (IMHO). Plus his wife is president of Preserve Our Wrecks (POW) so I think he has a PRETTY good idea where the wrecks are.

And as a big bonus, he's a SCUBABOARD member!

:wink:

Did big Jim get married to big Wayne? :wink: Last I heard HE was the new president of POW.

Back
Top Bottom