OOA question. Who is teaching to give your main unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
falling off a motorbike is 100% avoidable...

going OOA IS avoidable but it happens - wasn't it some other guy talking about burst disks and popped o-rings?

Burst disks and o-rings are unlikely to go during a dive unless they're already defective ... in which case you should have caught it during a routine bubble check.

Think about it ... as you continue the dive, the pressure in your cylinder is putting less and less stress on those parts. A burst disk will typically blow during the fill process, or if you leave your cylinder in a place where it heats up (even in warm water, it'll cool down once you submerge it). And an o-ring will typically blow when you initially apply pressure to your regulator ... or at a minimum, it'll allow a tiny stream of air to release, which is easily detectable either by listening or by checking the tank valve before starting the dive.

Same logic applies to hoses ... they don't just blow, they will give you some amount of "warning" first.

That why bubble checks are a standard part of our pre-dive routine.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

with a total of 60 dives, and no rescue training ... Being able to say ... I, or my wife, or my two daughters .. "will never panic" must give you great comfort to believe that ... not that there is anything wrong with that .. or is there?

Odds of anyone overpowering me in any situation are highly unlikely... Now on to the OOA scenario.. Part of my training was how to maintain the control of my main reg..
And to understand that my knife was a tool used to keep people from stealing my reg...
I would much rather have 1 person float than 2..

As for my attitude, its spot on.. IMO I am way more important than you. I always will be. My first thought if someone is OOA isnt compassionate... I really dont care if that upsets you.. My first thought is this person needs to quit diving. I am 100% certain given a crisis situation, those that understand the value of their own lives are the ones that will come out ahead. My wife and kids are the benefactors of my thinking.

Certainly "me first, then I help you" is a valid position to take, but it really applies more to not chasing a paniced diver to the surface at an unsafe rate or not following a "buddy" as they they decide to do something stupid like wreck penetration without appropriate gear, and not to annoyances, like having someone grab your primary regulator when you have a secondary in easy reach. Do you defend from having your mask kicked off with your knife too?

Some people dont need to have compassion.. and trust me, I wont be going for YOUR air.. I only dive with my wife and dont ever see that changing.. I also know enough to have earned my AOW from NAUI and I dont freak out in the deep dark abyss..

minor nit: I assume you mean Advanced Scuba Diver, since I don't believe NAUI uses the phrase "Open Water" or "Advanced Open Water."

Perhaps I am just meaner than you? I know CPR but know with 100% certainty that I would not use it on anyone other than my wife or kids.. Can you say the same? Doubtful. You have something in you that makes you want to help. I do not have that in my character at all. You may find that a flaw. I do not feel the same. Either way. It matters not to me.

people, i have a feeling he means it. **without trying to diagnose over the internet from one isolated thread**, this is just what someone with borderline personality disorder or a sociopath would say. unless someone like this gets massive psychiatric help (and they won't - since there's nothing wrong with *them*, everyone else is in the wrong), there is no changing or convincing.

so, y'all, walk away from the thread and bear it in mind in any other threads.

Odds of anyone overpowering me in any situation are highly unlikely...

You've obviously never run into a truly panicked diver. In that situation, my money would be on the 100lb, 60yr old woman who's out of air. When she grabs you're primary out of your mouth, I'm guessing YOU'RE the one who's ****ed.

Wow. This has all been a lesson for me.

I'm moving over to donating my primary (long hose primary) because my local tech dive community use this technique and its required by my local NAUI instructors and the tech courses.

Attached is the equipment list for NAUI technical dive courses:

http://socaltecdivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=68

I have to wonder what the difference in good instruction would have made to this thread. As the individual said at the beginning of the thread, he was taught the knife technique from an instructor. There are numerous threads on this board documenting instructors partake in "risky" activities or poor instruction. Likewise, plenty of threads which document students blindly following their instructors into whatever dangerous situation.

So Mr Cabbage, who was your instructor?

He doesn't need instruction, remember? Just had to get certified to get air fills. Those darn pesky fill station people.

of the agencies (SDI or SSI) teach primary donation, others you can teach if you want (padi its up to the instructor).

In our SSI class we were taught primary donation, but not sure if that's because it's their standard way, or if it's because our classroom gear was configured with combo octo/inflators. Either way, it makes sense to me that the known working one is going to the diver who has NOT been breathing the longest... at least initially. Once things are under control you can negotiate comfort items like who's hose is longer :D

people, i have a feeling he means it. **without trying to diagnose over the internet from one isolated thread**, this is just what someone with borderline personality disorder or a sociopath would say. unless someone like this gets massive psychiatric help (and they won't - since there's nothing wrong with *them*, everyone else is in the wrong), there is no changing or convincing.

so, y'all, walk away from the thread and bear it in mind in any other threads.
I agree - again without making an on line diagnosis. (Although if I ever teach another abnormal psych or DSM-IV class I am going to construct a scenario for students to use with quotes from this thread as they are ideally suited for comparision with DSM-IV TR criteria for several disorders to find the best fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom