Open or Full Foot Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You did notice the diving the OP does, didn't you?

The conversation sort of evolved, as do many forum threads, to a discussion of the various types of fins and the pros and cons of each.

I was contributing to that part of the conversation but I would agree with your point that the Op might best be served by closed fins.

However...one advantage of booties and open fins is that you've already got your footwear on when you're walking around the dive boat, switching out tanks and such.

With a closed fin you're either barefoot (leaving your feet exposed and vulnerable, and you don't have the same traction that you get with a good pair of booties with strong soles). Of course you can have a pair of boat shoes or sneakers nearby with all your dive gear but it's yet another step that has to be taken. Pun of course intended.

I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of recreational dives are made off boats in calm, clear, warm water.

It doesn't get any more typical than that!

The study you had a link to is the very one that got me to thinking about buying a pair of the superchannels. The only place I don't use them is when I go to Bonaire. Some of the shore dive sites they would be OK but for most sites I think the open heel booty combo works better.

However (AND THIS IS KEY), swap the Mares straps for spring straps. I have found spring-straps to be one of those golden items that, selling at less than $60, once you try them you can never figure out how you used to live without them.

:no:

Backtracking a little, even if one goes for open heel fins, not every open heel fin diver thinks spring straps are the way to go. Spring straps are way more expensive than the straps that come with the fins in the first place, many divers find them uncomfortable and they are negatively buoyant which is not always needed for warm water divers.

base solely on the OP's usage - "on a boat and in warm water."

full foot is the way. the only thing that suck about full foot fin is finding a fin with a foot pocket that fits properly - that in itself can be a challenge. As for everything else - full foot is superior.

I have been looking at new fins and have been tempted by the full foot fins. The only ones that I have used have been in swimming laps. I only dive from a boat in warm water, if this makes an difference. A little concerned about the fit of the full foot models? Any suggestions/ideas.
I used Blades and TUSA Imprex fins for years on trips to S.E. FL. In '05 I got a pair of Oceanic Caribes full foot. They fit perfectly, weigh less, pack smaller, are more comfortable, faster, cheaper and maneuverable than my cold water clunkers. I picked up another pair in '06 "just in case." Obviously I like these fins a lot. When on the boat I wear the same canvas boat shoes I wear going to and from the boat. One thing to keep in mind; your bare feet won't give you the same traction on some pitching boarding ladders during real rough seas. So far I haven't found this to be a serious issue, even in 3-5's+. HTH. YMMV.

See post #17 for a link to Scuba Diving mag evaluations.

I seem to experiencing cramping in my feet sometimes horribly so.

Rarely dive in the ocean or currents I want a fin that can get me through a current with gear should i find myself in that situation but be reasonaly suitable for putsing around.

Lord knows if I can push through the current in them cheap dive boat fins. Then most any fin would work.

idocsteve,
Maybe you're not all that fluent in English; it's a fin from a cheap dive boat - duh!

Of course.

What was I thinking?

I put my vote in for open fins with whatever strap you like more. The last couple of trips I have been on, we have gone out on a nearby island for breaks. No need for carrying an extra set of shoes on the boat; no need to be concerned about slipping bare foot, and you are still ready to go off boat to the island, pier, or wherever they take you in between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom