Openwater Diver... The Movie

Are you going to see Openwater the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianwl:
I just saw the preview of the movie today while at the theater to watch I-Robot. Won't waste my money on Open Water. It was very obvious that it was sensationalized garbage just made to make money. Preview said it is supposed be a true story. My question is, how many true stories did they have to put together to get that one true story?

I think, primarily, just one..

Thomas and Eileen Lonergan were left ~6km from land in the Great Barrier Reef in 1998. They never really found much of their remains, so I figure that Open Water is going to be 2 hours of them stranded on the surface, followed by some gruesome death, followed by credits. I don't know if I'd see it even if it were free. I would hope that any survivors of the Lonergans get something from the film. Accidents happen (as the PDF says), but you shouldn't have to worry about the boat operator leaving you to die.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/articles/lonergan.htm

I watched the movie trailer at 3 am (couldn't sleep) on my computer and had difficulty going back to sleep. I am a new diver, and everytime I see the movie advertised with the trailer on Discovery Channel I get goosebumps. Literally. I wonder if seeing the movie will get the fear out of my head. Like maybe, I should just see it so I'm not scared of it anymore. I'm just a big chicken!
-By the way, my mom can hardly handle the fact that me, her little girl, is now a diver. When she saw the movie previews she almost had a heart attack!

I plan on going. Part of it is personal curiosity, part of it is as a divemaster I know that this movie is going to come up in conversation, and I want to be able to speak from the position of having seen it and being able to counter it from personal experience.

Hard to put something in its place if you haven't seen it. Debraw, if I'm still in the D/FW area I'll be down for it (will try to get back to you as soon as I know).

I'm gonna go see it. I too, will be asked a lot of questions about the movie. I intend to have an opinion based, at least, on having seen the movie. Besides, this couple were not an exception to being left behind. Considering dive operations in the Caribbean, Central and South America, I'm surprised it is not reported more frequently.

Regards,

I don't plan on having anything to do that night, so I'll be there. :)

I'm confused. This movie is supposed to be based on true events. Yet, how is that possible? There were no survivors to tell the story.

I watched the movie The Perfect Storm. Before I went to the movie I was told it was based on true events. Then at the end of the movie I found out there were no survivors. Again, nobody to tell the story.

So, how can these movies be based on true events? The only thing true in both cases is that the people the movies were about disappeared. Nobody knows for sure what happened to them.

In my book, these movies are pure fiction based on a real event. If there were no survivors from the Titanic we could make a movie about it blowing up instead of hitting an Iceburg and call it a true story. Nobody would question it.

Just my 2 cents worth. Personally, I don't plan to waste my money on this movie.

brianwl:
I'm confused. This movie is supposed to be based on true events. Yet, how is that possible? There were no survivors to tell the story.

I watched the movie The Perfect Storm. Before I went to the movie I was told it was based on true events. Then at the end of the movie I found out there were no survivors. Again, nobody to tell the story.

So, how can these movies be based on true events? The only thing true in both cases is that the people the movies were about disappeared. Nobody knows for sure what happened to them.

In my book, these movies are pure fiction based on a real event. If there were no survivors from the Titanic we could make a movie about it blowing up instead of hitting an Iceburg and call it a true story. Nobody would question it.

Just my 2 cents worth. Personally, I don't plan to waste my money on this movie.

"based on true events" means there was an event, and the Hollywood writers dreamed up a story based upon that event.

As I don't anticipate this being a blockbuster movie, it will be on DVD in short order, and that's when I will get a look at it.

We want to attend, would like to meet yall AND see the movie. Lately I'll watch anything about diving/ocean/fish/etc. We watched Jaws 1 & 2 back to back the other night. I find myself watching the divers more than anything, though. Looking at their gear, etc. LOL. Has anyone watched 10 Best Places to Dive with Sharks? It was on last week, very interesting. There was also a show about Bull Sharks last week.

brianwl:
It was very obvious that it was sensationalized garbage just made to make money.

Were they supposed to try and not make any money? :06: Have you ever been to any movie based on a real event? Very rarely is it accurate and I've never heard of anyone purposely trying to not make money when they make a movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom