Openwater Diver... The Movie

Are you going to see Openwater the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait:
Considering dive operations in the Caribbean, Central and South America, I'm surprised it is not reported more frequently.

I'm sure it happens often enough. The difference in this particular case was that the operators waiting something like 51 hours before informing authorities, ignored an extra dive bag (containing keys, wallet, etc.) and the absence of 2 tanks and weight belts, etc. The series of events is what is so unbelievable about their story. If, at any point, someone had concluded from any of these clues that they were missing in, say, the first 4 hours, they might have found them. I imagine that the chances of being found (alive or other) in the open ocean decrease quite rapidly the longer you're out there...

It's a frightening pattern of reckless behavior, which, IMHO, justifies the charge of manslaughter that was leveled at members of the dive boat staff. You'd have thought natural selection would have taken care of people that stupid long before they got jobs on a dive boat.

Hockeynut:
Were they supposed to try and not make any money? :06: Have you ever been to any movie based on a real event? Very rarely is it accurate and I've never heard of anyone purposely trying to not make money when they make a movie.
My point is the only truth to this movie is the fact that two people were left in the water and never seen again. Everything else is pure fiction.

I don't mind the fiction, but it needs to be stated that the movie is fiction and not true.

brianwl:
I don't mind the fiction, but it needs to be stated that the movie is fiction and not true.

While you're at it, lets make sure everyone gets a full NAUI/PADI approved safety and basic skills course prior to attending the movie.

Just enjoy the movie for what it is...a movie. All you alarmists are making a HUGE deal over nothing.

The number three rule drilled into me during cert was "Don't panic." Funny how that makes just as much sense OUT of the water.

Hockeynut:
Were they supposed to try and not make any money? :06: Have you ever been to any movie based on a real event? Very rarely is it accurate and I've never heard of anyone purposely trying to not make money when they make a movie.
I think the point is just where 'making money' occurs in your list of important things when making the movie. I think you'd agree if your main goal is to tell a good story, your movie might be more entertaining than if your main goal in making a movie is to make money. The two things aren't mutually exclusive, obviously.

Clearly, no one makes movies with the express purpose of not making money. No one implied that they did.

Jedi:
While you're at it, lets make sure everyone gets a full NAUI/PADI approved safety and basic skills course prior to attending the movie.

Just enjoy the movie for what it is...a movie. All you alarmists are making a HUGE deal over nothing.

The number three rule drilled into me during cert was "Don't panic." Funny how that makes just as much sense OUT of the water.
Actually, I'm not raising any kind of alarms about the content or points the movie may or may not be making. What I am trying to point out is the fact the makers are saying it is a true movie and it is fiction. That is my only point. I personally could care less about the plot or whether they make money.

I object to any movie being listed or advertised as true when it is a work of fiction.

Jedi:

Where's the alarmists? Who's in a panic? I've seen enough dark movies where everyone's dead at the end lately. I choose not to see another. Others have said the movie looks scary. It seems to be marketed that way, so it's hardly surprising that they'd have that opinion. I haven't seen anyone freaking out about how this movie is going to ruin diving as we know it, but if there's some posts that only you can see, let me know.

If you want to see it, fine. If you don't, that's fine too. I gave my reasons, others have given theirs. We all are entitled to opinions here.

Thanks for posting that story again "Detonate". I had read part one but not two. Sea and dive stories are always better read than seen. I will not see this movie. I wonder how it scares people that are thinking or just starting our beloved sport? Oh well.......

PurduEE:
If you want to see it, fine. If you don't, that's fine too. I gave my reasons, others have given theirs. We all are entitled to opinions here.

Relax. I'm not out to steal your 1st amendment rights.

As for your demand for posts, start with this thread, Post #6 and read forward. there's plently of the "This will cause people to have a bad image of diving." type posts, heck there's even an official how to react bit from PADI. :rolleyes:

EVERY sport that I have been involved with has had some form of TV/movie/Magazine exposure done about it at one point or another. And every time there is a section of people that toss reason out the window and start down the path of how people are going to get the wrong idea about "us".

THAT is what I was referring to.

Jedi:
Relax. I'm not out to steal your 1st amendment rights.
Private forum, so I wasn't too worried, since there is no right. My comment was more about sarcasm and a belittling attitude to your post. I get just about as much as I can handle in other forums.. We don't need or want it here. If I'm incorrect and read it wrong, I apologize.

As for your demand for posts, start with this thread, Post #6 and read forward. there's plently of the "This will cause people to have a bad image of diving." type posts, heck there's even an official how to react bit from PADI. :rolleyes:

THAT is what I was referring to.
I'd say it's more prep than panic. It's assumed that people will see the movie, it's assumed that people who interact with dive shops will have questions as to 'how could this happen, etc'. My LDS has free 'open water' promo crap on the counter. Better to have a ready answer than a 'yeah, that was scary - you should buy a safety sausage' response.

It's easy to discount reaction and say 'it's just a movie', but if scuba is your livelihood, you might need something better to placate customers. People freak out about stupid things that are completely unlikely to ever effect them, like anthrax...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom