Operator that allow Sidemount diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all that posted their opinions and information. Especially, those that took the extra time to send me a pm.

John

Thanks all that posted their opinions and information. Especially, those that took the extra time to send me a pm.

John

Make sure to report back who you dive with- that way anyone searching the forum in the future has the information on how it worked out for you.

I don't think most dive ops would have a problem with sidemount; I have started to see it a lot more here.

For what it's worth, I know Aldora allows it. Lots of gas when sidemounting two HP100s. Probably a bit of heavy side but have seen people do it.

Why limit your choices with DIN cylinders? Just set up your rig for yoke al80's and have at it.

I agree. While you're at it, you should use an old 2-hose reg, a horse collar instead of a wing, unbalanced regulators, a round single glass Mike Nelson mask, and fins that weigh a ton.

Gear has progressed a lot over the years. Why would you recommend a horse & buggy approach when convertible valves or adapters are available?

That's really one of the stupidest things I've read. Every dive operator in coz has al80's. That's why use them. Really ? Although maybe a tic less efficient than my own manifold valve setup, I don't even know the difference.

If the dive operators had horse collar bc's, double hose regs, and Mike Nelson masks, I would dive it, no problem, just point me to the water. Try to keep up.

It's about getting in the water to see pretty things and hanging out. Too many people get stuck on fancy thing-of-a-bobs. They are nice to have and sometimes mandatory, don't get me wrong, but I would never not go diving because "if you don't do it my way your gonna die."

I dont think kwinter should get in 60' Caribbean water again without two predators on his wrist like me. That would just be old school since they are the latest and greatest. How stupid ! Sorry for the rant !

I dont think kwinter should get in 60' Caribbean water again without two predators on his wrist like me. That would just be old school since they are the latest and greatest. How stupid ! Sorry for the rant !

He is usually too busy decoing on his rebreather after completeing dives on deep wrecks in the Atlantic that 99% of divers will never develop enough skills and knowledge to reach and complete safely.

Actually, the predator is not the latest and greatest. The Shearwater Petrel has been out for sometime and you might want to check out the HUD if you really want to update yourself.

John

I use my Petrel for a backup, and yoke regs in the Caribbean. Sorry, guess that makes me out of date and a poor diver then. To each his own.

And because I'm not too busy doing deco while diving in the Atlantic on my rebreather, I'm going to go diving next week where it's warm and have fun on my outdated sidemount rig, with yoke regs, since they don't have DIN cylinders, and on tables, oh no ! Hope I survive ! And my Sea Hunt mask.

Last edited:
Hi,
Is there anyone in Cozumel and not any other island that teaches Sidemount and TEC 40 and 45?

The Dive Cooperative has the PADI sidemount course and some IANTD courses.

As previously posted, there should not be an issue with sidemount in Cozumel. I have been diving with Blue Dream Cozumel, the resident shop at Playa Azul, and they are fine with it. One of the owners dives sidemount exclusively.

It's possible some of the large resorts with big boats adhering to strict schedules could be balky about accommodating sidemount. If I were planning on diving with a new-to-me operator, I would inquire beforehand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom