Opinion on Uwatec Aladin Air Z Hoseless Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For IR you have to go with the newer Smart series, as scubaguy said these need an adapter. However, you don't have to have a Memo Mouse, i don't anyway. The Memo Mouse basically stores the data for you that you can then download to your computer via a serial port.

I use a different approach. I use a custom made interface directly into a Palm. Then i HotSync the Palm to the computer via USB. This does everything the Memo Mouse does and much more and definitely costs less as well. Also, the MM is basically a little black box that does nothing more than store and transfer data; with the Palm you don't even have to download to the computer at all, you can view the data straight from the Palm. I'm not entirely sure but this approach should work the same way with a Treo. If you want i can point you in the right direction.

As for your considerations, the AirZ Nitrox fits all of those criteria. Another feature to think about is that the AirZs have no buttons at all. I find that great underwater; all the info is on one legible screen. On the other hand, turning it on and operating it above water requires a wet contact so you have to keep licking your fingers to do stuff with it (plan a dive, sync it, etc). It's not a really big deal, just kind of annoying.

On the other hand, one of its biggest drawback (depending on the diving you do) is its lack of a gauge mode. You basically are forced to use it as an air/nitrox computer. I didn't even consider that when buying but after learning more about different models i would have preferred a computer that works also as a gauge and won't lock me out if i don't follow its conditions precisely. But again, this may not even be an issue for you.

The last thing that i would think about is the use of different algorithms. Again, maybe you don't care about this and just want a computer to do its job and be done with it but IMO it's a good idea to learn about the calculations even at the superficial level at least in terms of relative conservatism.

theatis:
I use a different approach. I use a custom made interface directly into a Palm. Then i HotSync the Palm to the computer via USB. This does everything the Memo Mouse does and much more and definitely costs less as well. Also, the MM is basically a little black box that does nothing more than store and transfer data; with the Palm you don't even have to download to the computer at all, you can view the data straight from the Palm. I'm not entirely sure but this approach should work the same way with a Treo. If you want i can point you in the right direction.

That would be helpful. Do you mean to say that you can interface it directly into your palm?

alam555:
That would be helpful. Do you mean to say that you can interface it directly into your palm?

Yes, that's exactly what i do. There are two contacts on the computer that you are supposed to connect directly to the Memo Mouse. Instead, they are terminated into a universal Palm connector, so i connect my computer directly into the Palm.

The process is that i download the data onto the Palm and it's viewable using a piece of software called Paladin (check it out here: http://pakuro.is.sci.toho-u.ac.jp/aladin/paladin-e.html). From there i also download it to my laptop just so i have everything in two places.

Back
Top Bottom