Opinions needed: New diver in a pool without a buddy at the bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right after my checkout, I went to my LDS and bought the rest of my gear, with the express purpose of doing as much pool diving as I could fit in over at my parents' pool. Obviously, I didn't fill my logbook that way, but I did become quite noticeably more skilled. I wore full kit, fine-tuned my trim, and calculated my air consumption rates for each dive.

A few weeks later, my significant buddy and I took our own long weekend dive vacation to some Florida springs and jetties. The... um... many fills I'd burned through in the pool proved their worth. Buoyancy, trim, kicks*... no problem at all.

Turning into and out of my LDS' lot is much more exciting and potentially hazardous than any of my pool time, and being completely familiar with myself and all my gear is exceedingly valuable. Then again, hopping into a pool does have some potential for danger, and that little nagging voice that says "something's amiss" quite often knows what he's talking about. (Of course, when I added a 19cf pony, my former instructor actually said that it would be good to have when I take up solo diving. Not "if", "when"... Apparently, I look the part?)

*: Except the back kick. I look like a kid learning to drive stick -- back a bit, back a bit more, wobble-wobble, backish-upish a bit...

ChrisA:
OH My God! No, not air in tires! No if you care about safty. Air has 21% O2. Think this the PP of O2 in a tire at 32PSI. What a fire hazrd that would be! I can't imagine a guy who thinks a plastic buckle would kill him using AIR in his tires. No, No, No, he would certainly pump only 100% pure nitrogen in to his tires. Everyone who cares about safty (airplanes race cars,....) would not think about putting presurized oxigen in a flamable rubber container.

I'm pretty sure the DIR (Drive It Right) folks would never put air in their tires because of what you've pointed out. :)

Just one thing noone else mentioned...

Treat your gear like any other dive after you get out.

Soak it in FRESH water. The pool water looks clean but chlorine can really do a number on your gear if you let stay on there.

In fact, it's a good idea to pretend you were diving in "dirty" warter after every dive. Keep this in mind and if you bought quality gear, it will last a lifetime.

Other than my snorkel which is a really scary, mottled, yellow now (it was clear when new in 1994), lots of people think I'm a new diver when they first dive with me cause most of my gear looks new. The newest piece of gear I have is about 2 years old. :wink:

-dc4bs

good point, chlorine is worse for gear than salt is... Especially if youre in any kind of a public pool.

Last summer before my trip to Cozumel and Belize I wanted to practice my skills and tune my trim. I went by the LDS and they were having a rescue class that night. I asked the DM/Instructor if he had any problem if I got wet. While the class was going on I was in the deep end of the pool having a blast. I practiced all my skills, removed 2 pounds of weight, practiced bouyancy skills, finning techniques, and taught my self how to deploy my SMB effectively. Before you know it I was down to 500 psi and decided to surface. I had been down about an hour and a half. Later the DM complemented me on how I had improved my skills in that session. Until I read this thread I had never considered myself in any danger nor felt uncomfortable what so ever.

When I went diving in Cozumel and Belize I felt the pool time was well spent.

I wouldn't hesitate going to the pool alone.

I usually don't have a buddy in the bathtub which according to "CSI" is the most dangerous place in the house.

PADI rule one: never, ever, do anything that is not directly affiliated with your local PADI dive center, also, never do anything that is free, or even cheap, it might be dangerous.
Now I think to repent, we all need to run out to our local PADI dive centers and sign up for a class.

(sorry, I just finished watching their latest "Discover Diving" video....)

ForTheFight:
PADI rule one: never, ever, do anything that is not directly affiliated with your local PADI dive center, also, never do anything that is free, or even cheap, it might be dangerous.

ROFLH They do push their own agenda don't they!

ForTheFight:
Now I think to repent, we all need to run out to our local PADI dive centers and sign up for a class.

Hahaha! Thats awesome :)

--Ice9

The main rule of diving other than "don't hold you breath" is "always dive with a buddy!" Even though its just a pool and there will be others there are several things that could go wrong, and if they all happen at the same time you might not be diving anymore, seeing as you could be dead. Despite what some people say you really should be with a buddy, they should be fimiliar with your gear as you should be with theirs. Thousands die in private pools every year and even thought not many are on SCUBA it is possible. Don't risk it!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom