opinions on communication units?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe part of my reluctance to accept any communication unit in pleasure diving is due to ignorance of what available. So please continue to keep us updated on what's new, available and most important, what's affordable to 'regular' divers. I don't think anyone thought you were trying to sell us anything. Like you said, it's opinion like ours that may help you get the ball rolling.

I'll be the first to admit I always resist change so who knows? One of these days, someone may hear me say more than "Bmoogle" underwater! You have made me think of the uses beyond a purely recreational dive and I have to admit there definatly is a use for being able to communicate u/w. Maybe I'll see you some day at SeaSpace or DEMA abd you can really sell me on one!

Good luck in your ventures.
Dee

I for one love the idea of being able to communicate with other divers in the water more thouroughly. Keep in mind that this is a very useful peice of technology that doesn't have to necessarily be used 'all' the time. If you don't feel like talking then don't. But if we don't embrace it and encourage the further developement of such devices, how is the technology supposed to be improved. Two two big O.K. signs for the leaders in the field, they are doing us all a great service.

Mario >:)

:all: I use u/w communication often. I do lots of underwater video and find being able to talk to everyone and/or everyone talking to the video camera is rewarding. You would not believe how much more good stuff I get when others are scouting around finging things for me. I also find being able to talk to the boat is helpful. I have to admit, I don't use the u/w communications 100% (most of the time). It is also great to share the diving experience while the action is happening.

Mario, DEEP SEA is in Sunny Southern Ca. Have a 40' NEWTON Dive boat and Dive often. Where you?

You hit it on the head. The ability ro speak especially when filming is a huge plus. Now you wont miss those great shots. My unit uses no electronics, battries or listening devices so it cost a little over $100.00. Tell me about the one you use?

You have more than likely been diving alot longer than I since you ar retired. If you looked at the other replys from the other people you will see that this is not a cell phone, or a Yacking device. I know this is not for all people that is why we have invented several other type things, I just can't accept it when someone makes a undirected opinion. Once again I say thanks but at least look into it and think about if EVER you wanted or needed to say Anything while diving? ... That's what it is for!

Since I'm a Psychologist, my job is talking and listening. I personally would hate to use an underwater comm unit. I like the silence. If you have some sort of task to do, like assembling a flange or making a video, you can use one. Not me, though.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom