opinions on communication units?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSea,
Some of the tedious work I worked on with the units were in fact configuring issues like the ones you talked about. We used a 4ft primary and a 7ft secondary that seemed to work o.k., in fact we've even tested them with two riders and it worked just fine. Most of the work was actually done on changing the bladder dump spots and configuring the locations of the weight plates. Otherwise, the craft usually ran out of juice before the pilot ran out of air. One other concern I had was that the craft was configured with a 6 cu/ft bailout cylinder, where I personally opted for a 13. Since it was capable of deeper wall buzing and wreck exploration the comfort of a 13 for a longer deco stop just made me feel better.

The loading and unloading of the craft was done via a boat specially configured with a hydraulic swim step. So what we had to do is place the stripped down Hydrospeeder on the step, load it with batteries, cylinder etc and then lower it via the hydraulics. It was fun, but a little too much maintenance for the 'average' diver.

Mario

Deep sea, J.P. here. I just got back from training the US Space & Rocket center, on using the Scuba Voice. If you heard someone and it was not clear at 30 feet he or she was using it wrong. In open water I can communicate with my buddies in the water 30 feet and in great conditions 40 yards. When we demonstrate it we chat but in real world diving we only say maby 25 words on the whole dive to each other but who ever has the camera is narraiting the whole time and you MUST speek softly or it over powers the camera.I used the Buddy phone for over a year and tried the Dive Link, but for us this was not what we wanted. We wanted something that was no electronics and no listening devices. We have it. I totally understand people not wanting to hear chit chat and that is not what we have, but the ability to speak is there if you need it. Since you film we would like to talk to you about doing a show...we have the attention of several LARGE companies and they have talked of us doing a show using our two devices. I would like you to e-mail me so we can talk and maby we can get together to go over this. To all those who have ever needed to say anything in the water we hve a special up close device that has a Princeton Tec light, depth gauge, brass tank banger, and optical piece. This is called the Scuba Voice Ranger. This is the device for all those who want the ability to speak 3-6 words and have great back up light, banger, and depth gauge. Thanks J.P.

J.P.,
Just curious as to who you are and what you needed underwater comes for. Why did you choose something non-electronic and with far less range? A little background would surely help us understand the basis for your choices.

Mario

I now work for this company,called Scuba Voice. There is a huge mass of divers who kinda like the idea of communicating sometimes and for them the electronic units ar too much money and maintance...so we developed a device that now you can speak to any diver up to 30 feet away...We have been as far as 40 yards and perfectly heard each other...but we try to teach people to call out, get attention to the person you want to talk to , then come together to talk so you won't disturb any other divers. Now since we started this thread I have gotten huge response and now have a new product called the Scuba Voice Ranger. This device has a wrist mount strap or d-ring for a clip. As I said we wanted something cheap simple and that will work all the time. Some people think com units are not needed but as I know this when used properley it make diving more fun, and can save a life! I have over 25 Search & Recovery teams using it along with a electronic unit, because most dive teams can't afford to outfit the entire team with high dollar stuff. So now the whole team can talk to each other in black water. I just trained monday & tuesday the UNDERWATER AUSTRONAUTS TRAINING TEAM with them. We could talk to each other and also to anyone walking by the tank! Yes outside the tank perfectialy. If you want more info go to our site. http://www.scubavoice.com
Thanks, J.P.

As Daryl Carson from skindiver sept 2000 said this device is for the masses and for those who want to say a few words and not carry on a long speach. Yes like all com units the device takes practice talking & especially listening. If you are on a dive and two other divers are 50 feet from you talking with Scuba Voice you may not notice at all. The pro unit that goes on your regulator is 130.00 and the hand held ranger with the extra back up stuff retails for under 80.00. I have been in all types water except below 50 deg., and it always works. Jon Hardy from Scuba Lab has tested it with us in Catalina Island. They wore hoods and still we had total communication. One of his testers a lady sang "row row your boat" and loved it. Like she said it took alittle getting used to and boom she was talking. Listening is the most important. Look for us in Rodale's soon for the Scuba Lab test reports. Also the space center loved it and said it works better than any high dollar unit they have and for the trainers and support divers they all will use the scuba voice. Since the first time I used this in the Keys I have been hooked, I sold my business and bought in on this. For around 100.00 anyone can talk to there buddy. With 4 tanks of practice they are a pro at using it. No parts to break, no battries, no fuss. Rodale's said "...cheap, simple, & suprisingly effective..." Thanks for your response and I hope to show you at DEMA this year.
J.P.

Couldn't say it would be feasable for Mario & myself as buddies, with all the laughing we would use our air up in about 15 min., we'd get narced at 10'.

BTW how do you ROFLMAO under water?
Maybe this could be a new PADI Speciality course!

You just never know

Don

Don,
It would be more like Rolling On the 'Bottom'.... but Project Aware might not be too enthused at the idea... you know, the whole thing about not damaging aquatic life and all... LOL

Mario

I'm with Dee on the tranquility of being underwater. But there are many times that I wish I could talk to a diver that I'm guiding.Even something as simple as asking "are you
OK?" can be a struggle. But I can say that I'll stick with plain old hand signals when I'm diving recreational with my boyfriend...and even some of those hand signals can be too much communication!

Just getting caught up here, but a lot of posts ago someone said "Look at the eel" would be a good use for com. Other than the obvious safety factors, that would be what I would use them for. My wife and I were (still are) bird watchers before we found scuba. Now we do the same thing underwater. We spend more time with the lists of critters we've found than with the actual dive logs. It's kind of tough to spend a trip looking for something, not finding it, and after the last dive she says "Well, I saw one!". Hand signals are great if you are looking at each other, but we spend most of our time with our faces in holes and don't always see the signal 'til we've drifted to far to go back. More than just cool, for us it could make things more enjoyable.

Tom

Great point Tom,
I for one know that diving is an equipement extensive activity, I know that and don't question it, I also know that substandard gear could get you killed. If price is an issue, I understand that, because it certainly is for me. But I'm for the more costly, better working, more practicle gear that's made by OTS. I for one will do without, until I can afford the best. It's not that I'm closed minded, I just beleive in owning and using the best in an environment that is as hostile as the underwater realm. Can anyone out there blame me for demanding anything else? As far as I am concerned, OTS is currently the King of the Hill and I don't question that, and neither do the armies of 'true' professionals that believe in it either... One can't deny the benefits of the best gear out there... Your only point is price point... In my opinion your point is nul and void, you can't rely on substandard technology that doesn't work in a variety of environments to keep you afloat. Believing or advertising anything else is foolish and transparent. Too bad you work for the company you are posting about:rolleyes:, to me it looks like you're just using this site to advertise for your own personal gain.:upset: I for one just call it like I see it. Long live OTS, the company that will have my business in the future...

Mario :D

Back
Top Bottom