Opnion on Salt-X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, it isn't commonly used as a gear rinse. For Scuba, it's usually used when servicing regulators in a ultrasonic cleaner.

Just use fresh water to rinse your regs and save Salt-X for servicing them.

Does anyone know if Salt-X

I don't think I'd use the same rinse for soft parts as I'd use for the hard parts ...?

As for Salt-X I've used it for a short while on recommendation of Bryan from Vintage Double Hose:

Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Regulator Cleaner!!!

Works very well and when used without an ultrasonic cleaner gave me a bit more of a "window" for soaking reg parts without taking the chrome off.

Henrik

I don't think I'd use the same rinse for soft parts as I'd use for the hard parts ...?

As for Salt-X I've used it for a short while on recommendation of Bryan from Vintage Double Hose:

Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Regulator Cleaner!!!

Works very well and when used without an ultrasonic cleaner gave me a bit more of a "window" for soaking reg parts without taking the chrome off.

Henrik

I gather it's not something to use for rinsing the regulator and other scuba gear in the rinse tank. Right?

Adam

I used to use it to refurbish ebay reg's. It's works well to get rid of verdigris. It's also hard to get rid of the smell it imparts to said parts. It is not merely for a rinse. It's for a rebuild. I now use vinegar and water 50/50 and follow up with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. SaltX is easier on painted surfuces but isn't worth the trouble IMHO. SaltX is more work and harder to get. YRMV.

I used to use it to refurbish ebay reg's. It's works well to get rid of verdigris. It's also hard to get rid of the smell it imparts to said parts. It is not merely for a rinse. It's for a rebuild. I now use vinegar and water 50/50 and follow up with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. SaltX is easier on painted surfuces but isn't worth the trouble IMHO. SaltX is more work and harder to get. YRMV.

Smell ...??

You sure we're talking about the same product? I've never noticed a smell even from the concentrated stuff. Maybe you're thinking of Salt-Away or something?

The few rebuilds I've done I start by washing the parts in a Simple Green solution. Then a Salt-X soak, and then another wash with Simple Green.

No smell - before, during or after :)

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom