Review Orca torch D550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a copy of the review I just left on Amazon. This is a good, solid light that is now a permanent part of my dive bag.

I went on my annual trip to Mexico this year where I do a combination of ocean, night and cenote diving. I thought I’d get a newer back up light to my older corded Watershot Strykr that I’ve used for years as I have noticed other divers using smaller handhelds that seemed pretty bright. After getting the Orcatorch D550 all I can say is WOW! At 1000 lumen it’s brighter than my corded light – so much so that I ended up using it as my primary light for the rest of the trip saving the hassle of attaching the battery and dealing with a light head and cord. Battery life was fantastic – two 45-60 minute cenote dives didn’t faze it at all – the battery indicator still showed it was ready for more. The beam has a great spot with a lot of light spill that helped illuminate more open caverns. It has a bottom mounted button that easily cycles through 100%, 50% and strobe modes. The 50% mode is necessary as at 100% the light is blindingly bright to look at your computer or gauges. The lower power mode is also good when visibility is down as it reduces backscatter.

The light itself is very solidly made and is the right size to feel comfortable in your hand. It’s sized to fit into a pocket though I kept mine clipped to a D-ring when not in use. It comes with a soft Goodman glove that I found myself using when I had my cameras with me. I was also impressed to see that when the head was unscrewed to remove the 18650 battery for recharging it has 3 O-rings to ensure a good seal.

I also have to give a shout out to the all the extras that come with the light. I comes well packed in a hard case with foam cutouts. It includes 2 3400mAh 18650 rechargeable batteries and charger; wrist lanyard, soft Goodman glove; extra O-rings; and a documentation packet.

This is an excellent light at an excellent price point.
IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0449.jpg

This is a copy of the review I just left on Amazon. This is a good, solid light that is now a permanent part of my dive bag.

I went on my annual trip to Mexico this year where I do a combination of ocean, night and cenote diving. I thought I’d get a newer back up light to my older corded Watershot Strykr that I’ve used for years as I have noticed other divers using smaller handhelds that seemed pretty bright. After getting the Orcatorch D550 all I can say is WOW! At 1000 lumen it’s brighter than my corded light – so much so that I ended up using it as my primary light for the rest of the trip saving the hassle of attaching the battery and dealing with a light head and cord. Battery life was fantastic – two 45-60 minute cenote dives didn’t faze it at all – the battery indicator still showed it was ready for more. The beam has a great spot with a lot of light spill that helped illuminate more open caverns. It has a bottom mounted button that easily cycles through 100%, 50% and strobe modes. The 50% mode is necessary as at 100% the light is blindingly bright to look at your computer or gauges. The lower power mode is also good when visibility is down as it reduces backscatter.

The light itself is very solidly made and is the right size to feel comfortable in your hand. It’s sized to fit into a pocket though I kept mine clipped to a D-ring when not in use. It comes with a soft Goodman glove that I found myself using when I had my cameras with me. I was also impressed to see that when the head was unscrewed to remove the 18650 battery for recharging it has 3 O-rings to ensure a good seal.

I also have to give a shout out to the all the extras that come with the light. I comes well packed in a hard case with foam cutouts. It includes 2 3400mAh 18650 rechargeable batteries and charger; wrist lanyard, soft Goodman glove; extra O-rings; and a documentation packet.

This is an excellent light at an excellent price point.View attachment 777434View attachment 777435View attachment 777436View attachment 777437View attachment 777438
IMG_0484.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg

New here on this forum, but I have a D550 and love it. I've lived in Cabo San Lucas as a Divemaster and now Instructor for the past 15 months with probably 50 night dives during that time using the D550 as my primary light, and hundreds of day dives with the light. I love it although I did have one issue that could have rendered the light unusable and in need of replacement parts. The switch on the rear of the light is a perfect design and has no entry path for water, I can verify this because mine fell apart, luckily in my hands. Orcatorch supposedly glues this simple switch assembly into the rear of the light (likely using loctite on the threads). Mine came unscrewed after going on hundreds of dives with me and I would have lost the button, spring, and threaded part if I hadn't somehow caught it in my hands. Very lucky!

Anyway, I used red loctite 271 to hopefully eliminate this problem and permanently install the switch assembly. Probably another 150 dives since then with no issue. I love this light! For what it's worth there was no sign of loctite on the threads when it fell apart, maybe they just missed mine?

-Riley

IMG_0941.jpg

Great Review! We have been selling the D550 light for a few years now and have had very good feedback from customers.

We still sell this light and we have added another even brighter light as well. This one eliminates the push button switch - a simpler screw on design that some may prefer.

I have a D550 that I was able to use exactly once before it broke. after the first dive, while unscrewing it to charge the battery I dropped the light about 4', and it landed on the open side. it bent the cheap aluminum housing, and I could not get the battery out. I had to unbend the housing to retrieve the battery, and the light itself is no longer usable.

as far as I'm concerned, I will never buy their products again.

Attachments

• tempImagesQ1g4i.png
    tempImagesQ1g4i.png
    370 KB · Views: 26
I have a D550 that I was able to use exactly once before it broke. after the first dive, while unscrewing it to charge the battery I dropped the light about 4', and it landed on the open side. it bent the cheap aluminum housing, and I could not get the battery out. I had to unbend the housing to retrieve the battery, and the light itself is no longer usable.

as far as I'm concerned, I will never buy their products again.
If I understand correctly, you dropped it and bent it. I wonder if any light could withstand this abuse.

How ridiculous, I did the same thing dropped it while disassembled onto tile😀.

What a stupid clumsy thing to do. The light is very rugged when assembled. I would never dream of blaming the manufacturer for my ineptitude.

Take some device out of its protective housing, drop it and then blame it on somebody else??? Lol

"* Constructed from high-strength A6061-T6 aluminum"

The yield strength of A6061-T6 aluminum is around 35,000 to 40,000 psi (pounds per square inch). This means that a piece of this aluminum alloy can withstand a stress of 35,000 to 40,000 pounds per square inch before it starts to deform permanently.

To assess whether the aluminum can handle the drop, consider:

1. The area over which the force is distributed: If the impact is distributed over an area of more than 64.73 lbf35,000 psi≈0.00185 square inches35,000 psi64.73 lbf≈0.00185 square inches, the aluminum should withstand the drop without yielding.
  2. The nature of the impact: If the impact results in a force concentrated on a very small area, the local stress could exceed the yield strength, potentially causing deformation.
In practical terms, for most scenarios where the force is distributed over a reasonable area, A6061-T6 aluminum should be able to handle a drop from 4 feet without permanent deformation.

What is the area of impact when a circular cross section is dropped onto an extremely hard planar surface? The edges of the head and end of the tube are thin because these areas are very well protected when assembled, but it is not designed to be dropped in just the wrong way when disassembled. Perhaps you might want to remove the glass from a dive mask and drop it on the floor to determine if the mask construction is adequate?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom