Review OrcaTorch D530 and D550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I recently posted this review on Amazon. I cannot attest to the actual brightness of the lights, but they are both clearly brighter than my "500 lumen" lights, Over the course of a one-hour dive, I did not notice any appreciable dimming; it may well have happened, but not so much that it was noticeable.
My bottom line is they are both good lights, differing mainly in the switch location.

Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2023​
I have a D530 and a D550. The only substantive difference is the on-off switch is a button on the side of the D530, but on the tail of the D550. I prefer the side-button of the D530 if the light is hanging rom a chest d-ring and just turned on occasionally in the daytime to look into a hole or under a ledge; and in prefer the tail-button if the light is "always on" as during a night dive, or if worn in a hand sock. Both lights will work in day or night, of course, and both last easily for a full dive if kept on. If I were only going to have one of these lights, it would be the D550, because the side button does not work well in a sock.​
I am truly impressed with the build quality of both lights, the beam patterns (which are almost identical), and the brightness. I just returned from two weeks in Indonesia, and had both lights with me on all dives. No issues.​

I have both of those lights and love them both..although I love the 530 a bit more because of the side button. I don’t wear them in a soft handle.

Same, I have both. I think I like the side button better but for "always on" use could see the tailcap button being better with the soft handle. I used the 530 in the cathedral at Lanai last week and I know I saw a lot of stuff the folks without lights missed; if you're not bringing a light on every dive, you're missing out.

Our customers have been very happy with them as well. If you desire, you can slightly unscrew the head and leave the rear (tail) switch in the on position, and then turn on with a quick twist of the head (and this prevents it from accidentally turning on in your gear bag too).

Our customers have been very happy with them as well. If you desire, you can slightly unscrew the head and leave the rear (tail) switch in the on position, and then turn on with a quick twist of the head (and this prevents it from accidentally turning on in your gear bag too).

That’s the same light just branded different, correct?

I recently posted this review on Amazon. I cannot attest to the actual brightness of the lights, but they are both clearly brighter than my "500 lumen" lights, Over the course of a one-hour dive, I did not notice any appreciable dimming; it may well have happened, but not so much that it was noticeable.
My bottom line is they are both good lights, differing mainly in the switch location.

Reviewed in the United States on March 28, 2023​
I have a D530 and a D550. The only substantive difference is the on-off switch is a button on the side of the D530, but on the tail of the D550. I prefer the side-button of the D530 if the light is hanging rom a chest d-ring and just turned on occasionally in the daytime to look into a hole or under a ledge; and in prefer the tail-button if the light is "always on" as during a night dive, or if worn in a hand sock. Both lights will work in day or night, of course, and both last easily for a full dive if kept on. If I were only going to have one of these lights, it would be the D550, because the side button does not work well in a sock.​
I am truly impressed with the build quality of both lights, the beam patterns (which are almost identical), and the brightness. I just returned from two weeks in Indonesia, and had both lights with me on all dives. No issues.​
Hello Tursiops;

I'm in the market for a helmet mounted button activated (v. twist on) back-up light for SM cave. I read another review on SB that said the D530 side switch worked "intermittently" at depth (>120'). Can you comment on the function of the D530 or D550 switches at deeper depths? Were you able to test operation of the switches in the 150-200' range?

Many thanks,

No, I have only used them at recreational; depths..not sure what the deepest was, but I did not notice any button issues. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom