Order for buying your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what I did, and why:

1) Before I was certified:
--- Mask, snorkel, fins, gloves, and wetsuit booties, because I had them from previous snorkeling trips (although oftentimes you might choose different fins later, and/or for diving; so if I did not already own fins I might try to rent/borrow until a bit later).

2) On my first dive trip:
--- 3mm wetsuit, because I'm hard to fit, the rental suit was not too great, and there was a new suit at the shop there that fit me.

3) Before my second drive trip:
---BC, because rentals never fit me and were always different from dive-to-dive (this changed diving for me completely -- fantastic!)

--- Regs, because I figured out that between the BC and the regs, the rental fee would have been nearly the same as buying a good set of used regs (my buddy bought an on-sale new set at the same time for the same reason). I never had any real problem with rental regs, but.... I never liked the "ewww" factor of them (communal mouthpiece).

--- SPG

--- Computer (was a gift when buddy upgraded to an air-integrated computer :))

4) During that trip:

--- Compass (because we were going to take Navigation as part of AOW, and because it was not good to have to rely on my buddy's.

--- Reg hoses, because I wanted to try different lengths.

--- Better gloves (cable leading down to wreck is encrusted; plus I just like to wear gloves).

5) Before the third trip:

--- 5mm wetsuit, because it was a good deal on Craigslist, and because I was anticipating chillier water in winter (even in Florida).

6) During that trip:

--- Hood (brrr....)

7) Before trip #4:

--- Weight belt, because I got tired of the rigamarole of figuring out which one would fit in the morning at the dive shop before heading out on a dive, and/or ending up with one that was so small I could barely get it fastened, or, conversely, a mile and a half of extra belt flapping away. Also, the plastic buckles on most of them made me nervous.

--- Four 1# weights (because the boats I've been on either don't carry or quickly run out of this size; if I need more/larger weights, I use them from the boat's supply).

7) On my list:

--- Tank(s) (Not necessarily worth the expense/hassle right now for the type of boat diving I have been doing, but I would like to get steel tank(s) for possible shore diving/other places; and I really wish I had a tiny tank (Jax, I need that AL3!) to attach my regs to for soaking.

--- Drysuit/warmer wetsuit (Then I could try diving in new places!)

Note: #7 is not all-inclusive :wink:

Blue Sparkle

'Snorkel' gear is a must immediately... get the mask, snorkel, fins, boots, gloves, etc. that best suit your size and diving conditions.

A suit is likely best next ... again, sizing & conditions need to be considered.

Some say buying a computer isn't necessary right away, but I don't agree entirely. I've used a computer since my 10th dive, and purchased my own within 6 months of being certified.

Some divers purchase regs & BCD sooner rather than later, but I held off. I used rental gear for the longest time (heck, I couldn't afford my own), but this gave me the opportunity to try various makes/models/sizes.

If you have the $$, go have some fun in the shops, but if money is an issue, IMHO spend it on diving before gear. Most rental stuff is adequate ...

Did you get into the sport to dive OR buy dive gear?

When I first certified in 70, you had no choice but to buy everything. From catalogs, no less, as there were no LDS's available.

Later, when I got back into diving after a period away I rented all but mask, boots and fins for quite a while, before really knowing what sort of regs and BCD I wanted to invest in. And even then I changed my mind after a few years, as I learned more, and gained experience.

When my kids certified, I invested in good used rentals, figuring they too could upgrade later. That has worked out well.

Reactions: Jax
Good info all. Thanks for the insight! As a newb starting OW tonight, my assumption was that I'd buy the snorkel gear first (required for the class). "Personal fit" items would second (wetsuit, hood, gloves, etc.), as I'd need them to dive locally. I'd finish with "one-size-fits-all" (regs, BCD, tanks, computer), trip-specific (different exposure gear), or specialty items (compass), as I'd think you can usually rent these with little problem or simply won't need them. Looks like the general consensus seems to follow these lines.

#1: Mask - this is a personal fit item
#2: Nitrox wrist computer - portable, relatively cheap and will have a big impact on the amount of enjoyment you get out of your dives (actually that could apply to the mask as well)

I'd finish with "one-size-fits-all" (regs, BCD...)

Just a note (which I touched on above) to say that for some people (I'm one of them), the BC is definitely a personal fit item. I was pretty much put off diving for a few years after I was certified (the first time), and it was basically due to ill-fitting BC's. The day I first dived with my own, that fit, was a revelation.

That said, I realize that for some people/shapes, the BC fit will be less of a concern (I mean it's still important but that it will fit even with common/rental ones).

Sounds like you have great recommendations but to reiterate:

1. Mask, snorkel, fins and boots first for OW class of course and a lifetime of snorkeling. ($200 +/-)
2. Wetsuit that fits you well of the thickness for the diving you intend ($200+/-)
3. Wrist computer (nitrox but virtually all are now) so that you will always have a functional computer for every dive and eventually a backup computer which is valuable. I usually put my wrist computer in my BC pocket so that it dives with me in case my primary air-intergrated computer dies on me during or between dives (which it has more than once). ($300-400 +/-)
4. BC that fits and you know every part of it for safety purposes and comfort. ($500 +/-)
5. Along with the BC get a reg setup with or without air integrated computer but best for air integrated. (maybe $1000 but likely more depending on computer and regs)

AND - get them serviced annually to maintain warranties, for your own safety (it all is life support equipment) and to make sure they last for many years (15-20 years or more easily).

Here's my recommended order
1) Skin Gear: Mask, booties & fins, gloves, hood, weightbelt, cutting device.

2) Exposure protection: For the diving locale you'll most often attend to

3) BC, regs, computer

Skin Gear is very personable and practical. Having your own means you can practice the usual self help techniques and kicks that will make you comfortable in the water.
I think mask, booties & fins, weight belt and cutting device are high on the list.
Gloves and hood are dependent on your diving local. Weightbelts can be pretty personable too. If you have a small waist then most likely rental belts will leave you with a long trailing of excess webbing, which gets quite annoying.

Exposure protection include rash guards, wetsuits, drysuits, vests, and shorties. Pretty self explanatory. Buy something that fits you or go custom fitted if you're not up to the manufacturer's body type or size. (Most of us aren't)

BC, regs, and computer are a personal and practical choice as to which one you get first. If you can deal with the rental gear then I would recommend a wrist computer being first. I find wrist mounts to be more practical unless you're bug hunting. I would also recommend a wrist mounted compass as not all rental gear provides a working one or even one at all. Learning to navigate early on is a huge plus. Having a compass will allow you to practice in your house. :D(You can leave the compass at home if you're traveling from N. Hemisphere to S. Hemisphere, or vice versa)

Nothing to disagree with here. Just some additional things you should own, and decide when you think you should add it to your list.

Think about when you should add some safety gear to the list, I would recommend a whistle, an SMB (commonly called a safety sausage) and a finger spool for the SMB. DAN (Divers Alert Network) sells a nice one that also includes a mirror in the SMB pocket. None of these are expensive, but they certainly go on my dives with me. (You will notice your instructor carries these with him--ask your instructor's opinion regarding this.)

Have fun with your class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom