Oregon divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks very much for the info. I am very excited to get started with my wife on this new experience. Well what a way to see Crater Lake if you have never been there. Take the gear and jump in! Again thank you for your input, every little bit helps.
If your ever in the Coos Bay area and are looking to go diving let me know.
Jer

Donnie:
Coastkid,

Howdy from "Rocky Pont", Oregon. I dive all over the place here in Oregon. (Mostly "Rivers & Lakes") I really cant think of too many places that you wont have an absolutle "Blast"! On of my favorite places on the coast is down in "Port Orford".

As far as diving "Crater Lake"... "Yes"... you can dive Crater Lake... but you have to be trained in "Altitude Diving". (This is a "Required" by the park.) The surface of the Lake is approximately 6000 feet, and once you drive to the rim, (which is a little over 7000 feet...) you have a (2) two hour "Off Gas" time before you can dive.

To dive "Crater Lake" there are a lot of permits and paper work that must be completed. (to satisfy the park) OR.... you can call "Southern Oregon Divers" (located in Klamath Falls) and speak with "Joe". He has already done the necessary paper work.

I spoke to Joe last week and he told me the following...

Your gear is packed down to the waters edge... you just have to be able to get yourself to the water. (Its approximately a 1 mile walk down to the water's edge, and is equivalent to a 74 story building.)

They like to dive "The Wall" which basically drops off to "infinity!" (Crater Lake is only a few feet shy of being 2000 feet deep.) The visibility is usually about 140 feet, and the view of the wall is literally "breath taking". (Oh &Yea!... its about 46 degrees... just about as cold as the Puget Sound.)

They were going to do their first "Crater Lake" dive of the year, tomorrow (07/12/04) but they got word from the park that the snow is still too deep to get down to the water's edge. (I know the "Rim Drive" has only been open for less than a month, due to the snow.)

Even though Crater Lake is only about 20 minutes from my house... I have yet too dive in Crater lake. But... I hope to do it this summer.

"Clear Lake" which is up on the "Santiam Pass" (Hyw. 126) is another great dive! Its a mountain valley that was flooded by spring water, when the volcanoes erupted. When you dive there... most of the trees are still standing! You will be swimming through a forest! (Lots of Eagles to see!... when at the surface of course! :eyebrow: ) It is "VERY" cold!... makes the Oregon Coast fell like warm water!

I hope this helps!!!

Donnie

Donnie:
Butte Falls???!!! Heck!... I could almost throw a rock over to ya from my house here in "Rocky Point". (Howdy Neighbor!) :wink:

What about "Fish Lake" or "Lake of the Woods"? They would still qualify... (Although "Crater Lake" would be a killer dive!)

\
Donnie
I've dove both Fish Lake and Lake of the Woods which are ok. If I'm diving in that general area I prefer to go up to 4 mile lake as the vis is amazing in there usually. We've seen vis over 100 feet in there. Then again it's like diving over a moonscape, nothing to see except each other.

I prefer diving the Illinois river for fresh water in our general area. I've also dove the nudie hole up off of copco. Don't look up.

But today the only diving I'm doing is in a public swimning pool. You don't want to know what I see in there :)

I finally get my chance to dive Crater Lake on the 29th of this month. It will be a "fun" walk, but worth every sore muscle. We will dive Waldo the day before. I'm not sure I'll want to dive anywhere with less than 100 feet of vis after that weekend!

Later, Hawk.

Hawk:
I finally get my chance to dive Crater Lake on the 29th of this month. It will be a "fun" walk, but worth every sore muscle. We will dive Waldo the day before. I'm not sure I'll want to dive anywhere with less than 100 feet of vis after that weekend!

Later, Hawk.

Be sure to take some photos for everyone to see. I am really wanting to do that same dive. Maybe someday. I have just been certified so it may be a while.
Have a blast.
Jer

coastkid:
Be sure to take some photos for everyone to see. I am really wanting to do that same dive. Maybe someday. I have just been certified so it may be a while.
Have a blast.
Jer

I'd love to, but I don't have a camera that works under water. I will try to get someone else to let me download theirs. Even if I did have the right camera, you wouldn't want to see the picture. I can't take a decent picture above the surface! I take them in my mind and keep them forever.

Later, Hawk.

I got my dive in Crater Lake that I wanted today. They do not take your gear down for you, you have to pack it in and back out by yourself. One very challenging hike with a pack that weighs 120 lbs on your back. (Didn't I read somewhere to limit physical exertion after diving? LOL!)

I didn't take any pictures, in fact I don't think anybody took any under the surface. I will see if I can get a copy of the surface pictures.

The water was extremely warm for Crater, about 53 degrees. Nice dive to 70 feet, I didn't feel like going any deeper due to the altitude. A few people went to 90 feet, but only for a couple of minutes.

The wall is great, straight down. There is somewhat of a ledge at 90 feet, then straight down to the bottom almost 2000 feet.

It was great to do for a one time thing, I'd have to have something go really wrong in my head to ever do it again. Not many people can claim that they packed down into Crater, dove it, and packed back out.

Gotta go, too tired to go any further.

Later, Hawk.

Hawk:
I got my dive in Crater Lake that I wanted today. They do not take your gear down for you, you have to pack it in and back out by yourself. One very challenging hike with a pack that weighs 120 lbs on your back. (Didn't I read somewhere to limit physical exertion after diving? LOL!)

I didn't take any pictures, in fact I don't think anybody took any under the surface. I will see if I can get a copy of the surface pictures.

The water was extremely warm for Crater, about 53 degrees. Nice dive to 70 feet, I didn't feel like going any deeper due to the altitude. A few people went to 90 feet, but only for a couple of minutes.

The wall is great, straight down. There is somewhat of a ledge at 90 feet, then straight down to the bottom almost 2000 feet.

It was great to do for a one time thing, I'd have to have something go really wrong in my head to ever do it again. Not many people can claim that they packed down into Crater, dove it, and packed back out.

Gotta go, too tired to go any further.

Later, Hawk.
Thanks for the report. Tell us about the wall... what kind of growth did you see? What kind of fishes? What was the visibility?

Jerry

Hawk:
I got my dive in Crater Lake that I wanted today.
Hi, Hawk. Thanks for the report.

Do you know how the dive was arranged with the park service? As in who to talk to? I'd like to try to get a few people from Medford together and tackle it. I'd welcome any advice from you or others who've done it, especially on preparation before the hike in.

Thanks,
Bryan

coastkid:
Where have you been diving and whats the best?

I'm in Portland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom