ORing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm sure I should know this but what size orings are needed for a common tank. I don't own a tank but last time I went diving I had an issue with my rental ring. I'd rather just have them handy

Don't worry about the size specs. Go to a LDS or mail order site, and order "tank O-rings". They're almost all the same so you'll get the right ones without needing to know the technical spec. (I've seen some older valves that use a slightly smaller o-ring, but you're not likely to run into them)

Most yoke valves use a #14 O-ring. Some Sherwood valves use a #13. I'd keep a supply of mostly 14s and a few 13s if I were you. I'd also keep a dental pick or an awl or some other sharp object to pick the bad o-ring out of the valve. Be quite careful picking o-rings with a steel pick that you don't gouge the valve's sealing surface with the pick. The pick is harder than the metal the valve is made from.

Most DIN o-rings are 111s with the occasional 110 or 112. Poseidon o-rings are, of course, different from all others.

A handy reference table can be found here.

Pete

If you're talking about the neck O-ring between the valve and cylinder, it is really important to use the correct one. You need the correct durometer or hardness and size. If it's a standard 3/4 tank, you need a 214 durometer of 90.

Do not lube it when you install it.

Here are some common sizes with durometer
003/75 Pressure Gauge - HP Hose
-010/75 LP Hose/2nd Stage Interface - Cylinder Valve Stem
-011/90 Standard Low Pressure Port/Hose
-012/90 High Pressure Port/Hose - Manifold & Manifold Port Plugs
-013/90 Large LP Port/Hose
-014/90 Standard Yoke Regulator
-015/90 Cylinder Valve Bonnet Neck
-111/90 Small DIN Regulator/Valve
-112/90 Din Regulator - Standard DIN Regulator
-214/90 ¾" Tank Neck - Cylinder w/ large neck/valve

When you return the rental tank, or next time you go get one, just ask for a couple of spare yoke o-rings.

They might point you to a blister pack of 10 o-rings for a few dollars, but more likely they'll just reach into a bin in the backroom and hand you a couple. They'll be 014's.

I'm sure I should know this but what size orings are needed for a common tank.

Just buy the box of o-rings. Every dive shop has kits of asorted rings for about $2. That way you will have a supply of all different sizes. You can't know what you might need if you are renting gear. Plus it is good to have some that you can give out to other divers. I think I've given more away than used myself. Everyone needs an o-ring kit. Trident sells kits of about 50 rings of all sizes for $2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom