Oriskany: best dive boat for chop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vicente

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to get out on the Oriskany sometime in the next few weeks.

I am mainly curious if there are better boats as far as getting out there in rougher seas. I realize it's a longish drive, and things can get bumpy this time of year. So I would think some boats will have a better odds than others eh? Charter a 6-pack or look for largest boat possible?

I've been on plenty of wrecks in chop, and enough current to pull your mask off hanging on the ascent line. Not that I wouldn't call a dive if things got tough, I have. Just I may have different standards for that point than a cattleboat full of OW students would.

Just hate to fly to Florida from NorCal then get blown out because I picked a lightweight dive operation.

I dive single-tank DIN would have to rent tanks but nothing else. I dive DIR style but not doing Tech diving here, just want to check out the wreck and have fun. I suppose I might sling a pony if the op indicated they would prefer it and would rent me one. Here I am just trying to specify what kind of diving I am interested in, not start an argument about technique.

Suggestions?

P.S. Prefer ops with Nitrox fills.

I've been out twice, both time in sea that I thought weren't well suited to me.

The first time was with Viking Divers and their sixpack. It was OK.

The second time I went with Down Under in Orange Beach, AL. They have a 48' Newton. It SUCKED. It's a nice boat, but you get hammered in rough seas. The folks who went with me were sore for a week after.

I'd talk to the folks a MBT Divers -- MBT Divers Dive shop Pensacola, FL They have lots of experience with the Mighty O and do A LOT of technical diving. They're highly recommended by everyone I've spoken to.

I'd also talk to the folks at Scuba Shack -- Scuba Shack They have a very good staff and a nice big boat. They should have DIN tanks, I'm guessing most of the ops have them available. Their boat was down for service or I definitely would have dived with them.

You want one of the Cat boats....they are smooth....right now I think there are about four Cats that run to the "O"...the Wildcat...the Cat n Around.. the Daisy D and the Y Not....their may be more....all these boats are fast and extremly stable..all six packs.....call MBT they can get you started....
Yarg

Read and check out the all inclusive Oriskany thread located at the top of the the thread forums in deep dixie.

My favorite is the Cat-n-Around, Gary's Gulf Diver, out of the few I've been on(there are plenty I haven't tried, but Gary's boat hasn't left me wanting anything better). There's been times when he's run in less than ideal seas if whoever's chartered the boat was ready for it(experience wise) and agreed to rough it out.

I wouldn't expect the boat(any of em) to run if the majority of whoever's chartered it, isn't experienced or willing to dive in rough water.

Thanks gang, I will check out the Cat options.

I've been out twice, both time in sea that I thought weren't well suited to me.

The first time was with Viking Divers and their sixpack. It was OK.

The second time I went with Down Under in Orange Beach, AL. They have a 48' Newton. It SUCKED. It's a nice boat, but you get hammered in rough seas. The folks who went with me were sore for a week after.

To say that the Down Under "sucks" in rough seas is a bit of an overstatement. I have been on this boat many times in rough seas, and while it doesn't ride like a cat, it takes the seas relatively well.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Dive. Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS OriskanyI was aboard the other day during six footers, and while we were catching air between swells, we weren't being pounded. But make no mistake, he'd scrub a trip rather than put paying clients through the kind of hell he put me through the other day. (I'm still wondering what I did to piss him off.) But he does have the right balance calling the dive due to rough weather and safely pushing it when someone has traveled great distances to dive the Oriskany.

Hope that helps.

The Newton H2OBelow which MBT books for makes it out to the O more often than a lot of the six packs and you did ask about rough water. All the local shops are great. I've dove with almost all of them and know the captains that I haven't dove with. They are all great guys, but the services and boats are very different. The best thing to do is go to the sticky thread mentioned above and make your decision based on what you value in a dive boat. If your looking for opinions we all have at least one.

My favorite big boat is H2O below but my favorite PADI dive instructor works on the DownUnder - Marcie. My favorite six pack is Cat-n-Around with Captain Gary. If you are into free diving you'll really really need to go with Captain Dave on the YKnot. If you want to laugh the funniest boat captain is on the Wild Cat - ask to see his thong! If you want an early boat - both the YKnot and the Daisy Dee leave at 6:00 a.m. and get out and back fast. If you need the special service of a hands on Dive Master - Oriskany Divemaster who posted above is a great guy, who will take care of everything you need. We are really lucky down here, they are all great guys! What we need is a GIRL CAPTAIN! GIRL PIRATES ROCK!

Come see us, it doesn't matter who you come to play with, just come play!

The Newton H2OBelow which MBT books for makes it out to the O more often than a lot of the six packs and you did ask about rough water. All the local shops are great. I've dove with almost all of them and know the captains that I haven't dove with. They are all great guys, but the services and boats are very different. The best thing to do is go to the sticky thread mentioned above and make your decision based on what you value in a dive boat. If your looking for opinions we all have at least one.

My favorite big boat is H2O below but my favorite PADI dive instructor works on the DownUnder - Marcie. My favorite six pack is Cat-n-Around with Captain Gary. If you are into free diving you'll really really need to go with Captain Dave on the YKnot. If you want to laugh the funniest boat captain is on the Wild Cat - ask to see his thong! If you want an early boat - both the YKnot and the Daisy Dee leave at 6:00 a.m. and get out and back fast. If you need the special service of a hands on Dive Master - Oriskany Divemaster who posted above is a great guy, who will take care of everything you need. We are really lucky down here, they are all great guys! What we need is a GIRL CAPTAIN! GIRL PIRATES ROCK!

Come see us, it doesn't matter who you come to play with, just come play!
There is a female captain who runs out of PCDC. Katie does a great job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom