Oriskany Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

genenaples

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Four of us drove from Naples to P'Cola two weeks back and dove Oriskany. We dove with MBT Divers http://www.mbtdivers.com/ on the chartered H2O Below dive boat. We had a great time and everyone involved was very nice and professional as well. Good clean cheap rooms at the Suburban Lodge http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-us/html/HotelInfo?hotel=FL964&promo=gglocal, very close to the dive shop. The dive was excellent, about 60' feet of vis in 84 degree water. The ship was of course still in excellent shape with very little marine growth for a month under water. The Navy did a good job of prep on the ship; removing windows, doors and other entanglements. We went down on air to the flight deck at 135' on the first dive and entered the tower at the bottom and swam up through the stairs and rooms to the top. The flight deck is made of wood and is still in decent shape. On the second dive we dove 30% Nitrox and went to about 85' and penetrated all of the different bridges. Lots of cool stuff that has not been taken yet, valves, first aid boxes, all sorts of electronic gear mounted to the walls. Unfortunately, this wont last long as the dive boat had no problem encouraging people to use lift bags to send their "booty" to the surface. IMO it would be nice if the dive boats policed this rather than encouraged it, but they are only destroying their own resource. If you go, don't miss the escalator that runs from the flight deck to the top of the tower, a very cool swim up the escalator!! Our dive boat had lots of food, water and other drinks provided as well as hot dogs on the BBQ on the ride back in! Of course with every great dive there are some downers. The boats are way too crowded. And most of the people on our boat were diving no deco but had tech set ups. Alum 100's etc and there just was no room for the tanks in the holders. I don't understand the need for these tanks as we all had the same bottom time limits. The boat trip from P'Cola to the Oriskany is 2.5 hours!! This is a very long boat ride when there is no place to sit. Thankfully the conditions were excellent so we had a smooth ride. We had planned to dive again the next day but cancelled that and went home early because the 2.5 hours was too much to bear again since the boat was oversold for the next day as well. The other issue has to do with mooring, there are no mooring balls and when we arrived it took at least 45 minutes to fit our way in amongst the 6 boats already tied off to the tower. It was a bit hairy for a few minutes and the lines kind of intermingle with the other boats lines. You can imagine the fun on the way back up! The LDS will have to figure out a way to maintain some buoys or some bad things could happen during rough weather. This is defiantly an advanced dive; you should have plenty of deep dives under your belt and a deep or penetration specialty. Overall it was worth the 12 hour drive (we stopped at Ginnie on the way up to split up the trip and dive the springs) and the 2.5 hour trip out but... been there done that. I will take the Spiegel Grove any day! Not a lot to see on the small tower of Oriskany and the deck may be 800 feet long but this is mostly off limits except for a touch and go. This will be one of the great tech dives. Getting into the hangar decks below 135 will be awesome.

The H20 is a slow cattle boat, there are faster 6packs that run out to the Oriskany as well. Its always been known there wouldn't be mooring bouys, its not a common feature in this area's dive sites.

Sounds like a great set of dives though.

2.5 hours?? Did you row out?

Matt, no word yet on a seat for you. I haven't even gotten MY particulars yet.

It sure felt like we were rowing, 10 knots was all this boat could muster. Next time it will be on a different boat!

LOL!

Note to self: Bring kayak oars if taking the H2O!

We went out on the H20 last Friday and Saturday. It was like night and day. Friday we had 9 divers total and the boat cruised at 16 knots, ride time was a little under 1:45. We had ample room to spread out and walk around.

Saturday we had 18 divers and a watcher, and the boat cruised at 11 knots, ride time was a little about 2:15. It was too crowded and moving around was a pain.

I would consider them again for a weekday trip but would probably go for a smaller boat on a weekend trip.

I did not see anyone remove any "booty" and the DMs did not mention it. You should bring your concern to MBT management.

Scuba Shack runs a bigger boat with more room. We were told that the Oriskany is a protected monument and you're not allowed to take anything.

PerroneFord:
2.5 hours?? Did you row out?

Matt, no word yet on a seat for you. I haven't even gotten MY particulars yet.

Its cool PF, I've made some plans to do some beach dives in the area, I'm broke as hell this weekend.

ReefHound:
We went out on the H20 last Friday and Saturday. It was like night and day. Friday we had 9 divers total and the boat cruised at 16 knots, ride time was a little under 1:45. We had ample room to spread out and walk around.

Saturday we had 18 divers and a watcher, and the boat cruised at 11 knots, ride time was a little about 2:15. It was too crowded and moving around was a pain.

I would consider them again for a weekday trip but would probably go for a smaller boat on a weekend trip.

I did not see anyone remove any "booty" and the DMs did not mention it. You should bring your concern to MBT management.

Now that sounds more like it! At least for the first dive, your second dive sounded more like ours but we had s full 2.5 hour trip. Great crew on the H2O in any case, would love to do it again with less divers.

Down Under 251-968-DIVE runs a cattle boat out of Orange Beach. Good weather 1.5, bad 2.5. Dive Pros runs a six pack out of Pensacola - 1.5 trip. GREAT GUYS. Underwater Works 251-928-5550 runs out of Orange Beach - six pack. The captain is gorgeous which makes you want to take 2.5 hours to get out there! I've drove the "O" with all of them and they all do a good job. Personally, I prefer the six pack boats.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom