Oriskany Dive Video and Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I hear there's a $600 Riffe on that wreck too. Buddy of mine lost it last year and didn't get an opportunity to fetch it...I would have been sick for a week.

From what I hear there's a $600 Riffe on that wreck too.

OUCH!!!!!!!, I now instantly feel better about my fin. I bet for a DM working the Oriskany on an almost daily basis that the flight deck is becoming a virtual free dive store for all sorts of good gear. Maybe next year when I start doing my crew/DM work I can cash in on some of the bounty down their, heck maybe I could even find my fin, LOL :D.

FOR SALE: One Fin; [-]one $600 Riffe[/-]; one "Camera Part"...

Great report and great video, Glen. I'm looking forward to your next dive on the Oriskany.

(I decided to keep the Riffe)

Dude, I won't be diving the Oriskany enough to fill the deck up for you!

OUCH!!!!!!!, I now instantly feel better about my fin. I bet for a DM working the Oriskany on an almost daily basis that the flight deck is becoming a virtual free dive store for all sorts of good gear. Maybe next year when I start doing my crew/DM work I can cash in on some of the bounty down their, heck maybe I could even find my fin, LOL :D.

Great report. Now I am really stoked about my trip there in August.

This is in the Gulf of Mexico, it's not quite as clear as say the Atlantic :D

There's been a 10-15' thick layer on the surface that has been making everything look green down below. There's plenty of "blue days" out there too. YouTube - USS Oriskany 1 Year Anniversary

The H2O Below takes about 1:15 on average to get out to Oriskany.

There were a couple of issues that gave the water the green color. First, I have a cheap camera. Second, the viz. was good but there was a "slime" layer at around 30 feet. Once we got past that the viz. on the wreck was estimated by others to be around 60 feet. The sun was filtering through the green layer and we never really got that clear Gulf water. But, as someone said....clear Gulf water still has a green tint to it. Every now and then we get some blue water through here.

The camera also enhanced the green affect, because while we were diving, it did not appear that green to the naked eye.

quote=Tomeck;3610671]Thanks for the report! The color of water is green, but not blue?[/quote]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom