Oriskany - post Gustav report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if it picks it up 20 feet or so, it'll likely topple over and be on it's side.

it moved/sunk due to currents moving the sand and then currents/waves from Custav hitting the side of the boat and digging her in deeper.

As a note, remember after hurricane a few years ago was when the Speigal Grove flipped. It was caused by sand being carved out around her by the currents and the last "push" was by the waves and storm surge from the hurricane. It's a whole different dive now.

I'd rather Ike just leave her alone. If he starts playing with her he might decide to do something else.

Lets hope that Ike pushes her back the other way :D. While I am wishing maybe Ike could pick it up maybe 20 feet or so :cool2:.

This was always my worry when they decided to sink her in such deep water that one day she would totally list and put her out of range of rec divers. I know that they were unsure how she would go down so they played it safe and put her in deep water. I just wish it would have been in shallower water.

She was placed where she is because the County wouldn't listen. She could have been placed a few miles closer and shallower and still would have met all of the requirements. We made the proposal but it fell on deaf ears because he knows a lot more than we do and we don't understand.

I had the chance to dive her on Sunday and things were different, but great. On the first dive, the visibility was in the 40-50' range, with a decent current down to 40' and only a slight current on the rest of the wreck (I could easily back fin through it). I reached the top of the wreck at 80', with the top most structure reaching up to 76'. The list of the ship was noticeable, but on the dive I completely forgot about it. Internal and external structures were damaged, but not extensively. Anything that was loose, Gustav just helped lay it down. I got to the flight deck at 142' with spots hitting 146'. On the flight deck, rust and small debris was pushed into fairly neat piles, with large areas of the deck looking like it did when the wreck first went down.

On the second dive, I noticed much greater visibility. I could just make out the bottom of the H2O Below from 92'. The most interesting thing that I saw was the reappearance of the "34" on the port side of the tower. Previously, only an outline was visible, as the Navy painted over the numbers. However, the numbers are clearly visible now, in bright white paint, which hasn't been seen for years!

As far as sea life goes, anything that may have evacuated the wreck for Gustav has definitely returned. Octopus, urchins, arrow crabs, wrasse, butterfly fish, and small grouper covered the top of the structure. Red and grey snapper and a handful of larger grouper were all over the flight deck, as well as some VERY large barracuda. Overall, dives 216 and 217 to the Oriskany were some of the best I've had in weeks, despite Gustav's best efforts.

You are right about that Josh! It was really really cool to do this dive and it be like a new dive. I found myself thinking I've got to get to every inch of this wreck. And when I got out of the water after the second dive - I can't wait to return again. It is funny that we all noticed different things - just like the first time I ever dove the Oriskany. "Did you see ....?" "No, did you notice ....?" It was a blast. Josh had a great point - Do we count the # of dives on the Oriskany - Pre-Gustav and then start over at #1 for the dives on the Oriskany - Post Gustav! COOL!

Does Padi have a hurricane diver certification?

The deck appearing warped is probably a result of the dive boat rising and falling on the long flat swells you mentioned.
:shakehead:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

From another post

IIRC, the O-boat has 2 sets of expansion joints. Back in 1971/72 I used to work in a space just below the flight deck about 30 frames forward of the forward expansion joint. I recall being in the 01? 02? level decks just below the flight deck and being able to see the various knee-knocker holes in the doorways move back and forth with each other as the different sections of the ship twisted differently while working in a heavy sea. Really heavy seas would cause the expansion joints to hit the limit of their movement with a deep resounding crash. IIRC, there was about 18" of lateral movement possible in the joints.

:shakehead:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

From another post

IIRC, the O-boat has 2 sets of expansion joints. Back in 1971/72 I used to work in a space just below the flight deck about 30 frames forward of the forward expansion joint. I recall being in the 01? 02? level decks just below the flight deck and being able to see the various knee-knocker holes in the doorways move back and forth with each other as the different sections of the ship twisted differently while working in a heavy sea. Really heavy seas would cause the expansion joints to hit the limit of their movement with a deep resounding crash. IIRC, there was about 18" of lateral movement possible in the joints.

Wow. I would have thought that they'd want the flight deck to be flat. Well, sorry about the silly remark about the depth recorder and groundswell. I guess it doesn't happen over there.

Wow. I would have thought that they'd want the flight deck to be flat. Well, sorry about the silly remark about the depth recorder and groundswell. I guess it doesn't happen over there.

It could have been the swells, or it could have been the fish that were all over the deck, or it could have been the ship got twisted. The expansion joints most likely didn't have anything to do with the deck getting "warped". The forward 2/3 of the flight deck only has 1/4" (+/-) thick steel plate on it, and it has apparently buckled in places. There were times when I was walking on it that it would pop and make me think I was going to fall through the rusted metal.

It could have been the swells, or it could have been the fish that were all over the deck, or it could have been the ship got twisted. The expansion joints most likely didn't have anything to do with the deck getting "warped". The forward 2/3 of the flight deck only has 1/4" (+/-) thick steel plate on it, and it has apparently buckled in places. There were times when I was walking on it that it would pop and make me think I was going to fall through the rusted metal.

Cool. I never would have guessed that the flight deck would have been so thin!
Is it really rusting through already?

I mean to dive it one of these days, but I was trying to wait until it had some growth on it. Is it getting any corals and sponges yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom