Oriskany - post Gustav report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was one expanation, but the width that was used was incorrect. The actual width of the ship as she was sunk was about 10 feet less than the height (as best as I can remember).

remember they chopped off the top of the tower section (the radar arrays, the mast, etc) in order to make the ship shorter before sinking, otherwise they would have had to sunk it deeper, making the bridge level(s) and flight deck even deeper...

so the ship is no where as near as tall as it once was.... they chopped off a lot more than people would think.... but preserved the enclosed deck areas in the island.

The ship was sunk where she was because "someone" wanted the flight deck at 130' to keep divers out of the gallery decks and below. No allowance for subsidence was factored in.

yeah... they didn't want people swiming around in the engine room. but tech divers are already in the hanger decks and maybe below. (not me.... but some are...)

My prediction is She will change more as time goes on.

Yep... I'm betting we all agree with you on that.

From some reason I can't link the Wikipedia article here. Google CV 34 and click on USS Oriskany CV 34 - Wikipedia and scroll down to the paragraph I copied below.

1957 – 1969

Oriskany showing angled flight deck and hurricane bow.Oriskany returned to San Francisco 13 June and entered the shipyard to undergo the SCB-125A modernization program on 1 October. She decommissioned there 2 January 1957. Oriskany received a new angled flight deck, aft deck edge elevator, enlarged forward elevator, and enclosed hurricane bow. Powerful new steam catapults replaced the older hydraulic catapults. The wooden flight deck planking was also replaced with aluminum planking.

Wooden planking would not stand up to the weight of modern jet aircraft, especially the landing weight. The Essex class carriers that received the angled flight deck got the aluminum planking :palmtree: Bob

The aft 1/3 of Oriskany's flight deck was aluminum - the landing area as you pointed out. You can still see some of the original nonskid and markings on the aluminum.

The forward 2/3 of the flight deck (everything forward of the aft expansion joint) was wood.

The aft 1/3 of Oriskany's flight deck was aluminum - the landing area as you pointed out. You can still see some of the original nonskid and markings on the aluminum.

The forward 2/3 of the flight deck (everything forward of the aft expansion joint) was wood.

Roger that. That's kinda what said. :wink: :palmtree: Bob

FYI, I was one of the divers on the MBT/H2OBelow trip on 6-Sep-2008. The Flight deck just forward of the "Island" measured 45.1m (148ft) on my Nitek Duo set to "sea" and 44.8m (147ft) on my Suunto Mosquito (sitting a couple inches higher on my forearm).

Like seadoggirl said, the viz wasn't much on Saturday, but the dives were still great.

It will be interesting to know how the dive briefings change with respect to the flight deck. Our briefing called it 135' and the materials at MBT (More Bottom Time) Divers listed 137' -- a quick touch on the flight deck to say you'd "been there" was tacitly approved, but PPO2 starts to be an issue for Nitrox above 25% with the new depths. (I noticed that Rich, the Dive Master for our trip, was using 24%)

-Rob

P.S. For those on that trip, you'd remember me as the one who didn't keep anything down during the SI. :yuck:

Thanks Rob. I was the one who gave you the cold water bottles for your neck. Thanks for reporting the information. As you can confirm it is still an unbelievable dive - TONS OF FUN!

Yeah.... Evensplit is correct. they only planked part of the flight deck.

Wikipedia is not real clear on that.

I believe they also might have put metal/aluminum planking over the wooden deck instead of removing the wood deck in the rear also.

reference USS Oriskany as a Reef
and Last voyage of the Oriskany [Archive] - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

Hey - here's a great idea! Let's not talk about it - LET'S DIVE IT! YEAH :D

Who's with me? :eyebrow:

Gosh, you guys aren't getting any of the wind from Ike yet? We've go like 10' seas.

You are right the seas are a rockin! Don't know if we will get all the way to the Oriskany this weekend. We may all be diving the beach this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom