Orlando Area Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a small group heading down to Orlando for a long weekend dive trip. We have two days planned at the West Palm Beach area (boat dives), a day at Crystal River (manatees and diving) and we have an extra day to kill.

What are the best areas in and around Orlando to dive for a day? I know Ginnie Springs and Blue Grotto look cool but are also 2 hours away. We heard Blue Springs State Park is good and close.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

P.S. None of our group has dove any springs.

Alexandar Springs in the Ocala National Forest is one that people reccomend. It's like, $5 to dive, and it's a pretty nifty dive. Not too deep, about 27 feet? Still, I'd dive it again! I think it's an hour or so from Orlando but not sure, I've only driven there from Gainesville.

As an Instructor I'm at Alexander Springs and Blue Springs all of the time. Recently, I think because of the rain, Blue Springs vis was bad - about 5ft. (it's 60 ft before the cave system), funnels down to get pretty small at the bottom, lots of ledges and a fallen tree in the way. About 1 hour away from Orlando.

Alexander Springs nice and wide open, clear dive, 27 ft. deep OK to dive a few times (gets tiresom if dove too many times). It has an alagator - Alex who occasionally makes an appearance (prob. about 8 ft or so), an otter, a few fish and blue clawed crabs. They started a new policy there the last few weeks, if your "C" card dsen't have a picture you must show picture ID along with your diving credentials. If you dive this area during the weekend it can be packed. Saturdays are more crowded than Sundays. A/S is about 1 1/2 hour away from Orlando in the Ocala National Forrest.

Seeing that you are from PA you should be fine with either one of these dives with a 3mm wet suit and about 6 to 8 lbs of weight. The water temp is 72 degrees. Nothing near the temp of Dutch in November :)

Louma.....We have an excuse for Dutch in November, what's your excuse....?

We are dry suit divers so we do hit the quarries all year long.

I guess you paid your dues.....then got smart. I have an instructor friend who lived in Florida, then moved up to Central PA. It didn't take him long to get a dry suit. Obviously we question his sense of direction. But he moved back for his wife to be closer to her family, so he has a decent excuse.

I'll second Crystal River. You'll need to take a boat to the main spring, King's Spring, though. You can rent a kayak for $20 or so, or pay $40-60 to go out with American Pro dive shop. Very cool dive, I think it's about 40-50 feet deep actually, and it's a cavern. Vis on surface is maybe 5 feet, but as soon as you are about 6 feet down, it's more like 30-40 feet of vis, and it's a very cool dive. You'll pretty much need a light....you can get away without it but you can see so much more with even a small light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom