Orlando in Jan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't think of much within an hour of Orlando International. It sounds as though Blue Springs in Orange City would be about as far as you could stretch it.

Foo:
The group that my husband is in is supposed to arrive on Thurs the 20th, but we're trying to arrange flights for ourselves that will arrive on the night before (19th). Yes, we cruise out of Canaveral.
This to me says that you can find your own place to stay on 1/19 before the others come along - of course i could be reading this wrongly.
Foo:
The springs sound pretty cool, although my first thought was ocean, since we'll actually be near one! I've seen some pics of some of the springs, they look very beautiful. Cavern openings would be great, but I don't want to ruin someone elses good time because we're not cave divers. We don't have lights, but could probably scrounge some up.
We have plenty of ocean, the only problem around that time is if there is a weather system coming through. For that kind of safety the springs are a better option. All the state parks you cant carry lights into, but the commercial ones you can. At least you can sample the salt when you come back in august :wink: Blue Spring is a nice dive, a bit ruined by some graffiti and a chance of manatees being around might make the rangers stop you from diving there - then you have to look elsewhere and are probably going to do a 1-1.5 hour drive each way to the next nearest set of springs is in Ocala.
Foo:
Again, I do really thank you for taking an interest and trying to help us! I'm glad you asked all the questions, because I'm learning more about the type of diving that yall do. I'm thinking that the 2-3 hr away trips are going to be too far, an hour or so would be the max really.
This is the routine drive required to dive this state it seems. I am thankful i have all these great folks off SB around the rest of the state that i can crash with if the drives look too far for a day trip.

simbrooks:
This to me says that you can find your own place to stay on 1/19 before the others come along - of course i could be reading this wrongly.

Naw, we need to stay where Big Brother will be- the powers that be will already be there before my husband's main group. So Orlando Airport it is.

We'll figure it out before arrival (still playing dueling emails with the travel agent so in limbo another day or so about arrival date.)

Looked at the Blue Springs website. It looks really pretty. I enlarged one of the pics and a sign in the water said "Manatee reserve, no swimming past this point," and there were bouys probably holding a net to divide the swimmers from the manatees. I bet divers can hover by the net and see the manatees, though? Looks like a cool place to dive.

Foo

No net that I have ever seen, but the rangers seem ready to call all of the swimmers out of the water when they see manatees approaching. As far as diving with the manatees, if you see one in the spring or the spring run, just do your best to keep your distance & observe from afar. If one gets close to you, attempt to get away. Not that they will attack you ( OK, so they have been known to inflict MINOR flesh wounds), but really, the rangers just want to make sure that you are not harassing the manatees.

Believe it or not, I still don't know when we're flying out but now it's looking more and more like we'll have to come in on Thursday and have to skip diving. We'll still get to dive while on the cruise, but I wanted to meet you, Simon, and anyone else who would have come to that area. We are coming back to Florida the first part of June, this time for a week in Key West, so I guess that will probably be the first time I actually get to dive in Florida and meet new friends. Kinda bummed but I know it will happen someday.

Foo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom