Otter bay hood with/without neck skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say thanks again for all your quick responses to this thread. I do apologize if I went off topic slightly with my last post.

I will be at the Monterey Bay Aquarium at the end of the month with my diving buddy checking out the (reef checks) tour guides. At that time we will go in and get measured for my Otter bay helmets.

Mike, I've had an Otter Bay hood with the drysuit neck since my open water. I even dove it with a wet suit. The neck is long enough that I don't get a draft. The hood does sometimes fill with air from exhalation underwater though. I put a nail hole in it as a vent. I love my hood!

Mike, I've had an Otter Bay hood with the drysuit neck since my open water. I even dove it with a wet suit. The neck is long enough that I don't get a draft. The hood does sometimes fill with air from exhalation underwater though. I put a nail hole in it as a vent. I love my hood!

Carol,

Is your Otter hood have the neck skirt? Or is it regular cut down your neck? There are apparently two methods of ordering this hood, with skirt and without.

The DUI hoods come in neck skirt and without, I guess I'm asking which version you asked Cricket to make?

Thanks,

MG

Mike, those of us who've ordered the 12mm hood never get the neck skirt. I've seen 50+ divers with Crickets 12mm hoods and not one had a skirt. Its not required and just comes out like a huge wing anyway.

Mine doesn't have a skirt. It is an option, but I didn't get it. The straight neck even worked with my wetsuit, it was long enough that it sat right over the collar on the suit.

I picked up my Otter bay hood yesterday and am happy how it fits. I got it without the neck seal skirt.

My only question is how does the air bubbles vent out through the top? My other DUI hood has the holes built in, but I don't see them anywhere on my new hood.

Am I suppose to make the holes myself, and if so, with what and how big?

Do some divers leave the hood alone and don't have a problem with bubble buildup?

Thanks,

MG

I picked up my Otter bay hood yesterday and am happy how it fits. I got it without the neck seal skirt.

My only question is how does the air bubbles vent out through the top? My other DUI hood has the holes built in, but I don't see them anywhere on my new hood.

Am I suppose to make the holes myself, and if so, with what and how big?

Do some divers leave the hood alone and don't have a problem with bubble buildup?

Thanks,

MG

I just mash the top of the hood with my hand, every once in a while. Pushes the bubble out the face hole. No problems.

No holes in my 3mm hood here. If I start getting a "swelled head" :eyebrow::eyebrow: then I do the same thing Fisheater does and push down on the back of my head. Nice rush of warm air :D :D.

Kinda on topic: Does anyone ever punch ear holes in their thicker hoods? Last time I went in without mine I was freakin' amazed at how well I could hear everything under the water, whereas I'm nearly deaf with even my thin hood. I've read that freedivers like to punch ear holes in their hood to facilitate clearing as well as communication on the surface. That's all well and good, but I'm not sure how well I'd take to that cold Maryland water going into my ear canal...if it makes any difference at all then I personally would really notice it.

Peace,
Greg

I use the mash down on the top of the head method on hoods without holes, it works fine. OTOH, I put a hole in my Otter Bay 12ml hood. Right at where the highest point is when I'm in dive position. It works better than the hand mash method, since nothing builds up and become irritating. I just used a large nail, heated it up, and poked it through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom