Our first lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
It's so nice to have a bulletin board to bounce questions and thoughts off of. So, let me start with my first question.

My wife and I just took our first lesson. In a pool, in 12 feet of water. All went well. Until the next day. We both felt lousy. Bit of a headache and light headed. We wonder if this was a result of our lesson...the chlorine....???.

Are we paranoid or is this something that happens? If so, is it something one gets used to or adjusts to?

Would appreciate any feedback.

I've worked with a fair number of students and not aware of anyone feeling lousy the next day because of a pool dive. you might want to ask some of the other students, if it happened to them also then it may be something in the water or worse something in the air fills. I'm not sure but it sounds to me like it could be CO in the air tanks. Hopefully someone else can say if it could be CO.

TwoTanks:
or worse something in the air fills. I'm not sure but it sounds to me like it could be CO in the air tanks. Hopefully someone else can say if it could be CO.

I would agree, if more people also had a problem. Otherwise, it could be most anything, especially as it affected both of you.
Let your instructor know, and talk to other students. If they didn't have a problem, see how the next class goes and don't worry about it. Stress can do weird things.

Good luck with the classes

MD

We had a private lesson, so we can only go back to the intructors. And since they brag about how clean their filters are, I'm sure they'll say their air is fine. But I will ask. How about anxiety? That's what I'm wondering about.

what these guys said...

i would worry more about the posibility of air (tank) contamination than having to
do with the pool, and air contamination is pretty rare. see if someone else had
symptoms, talk to the instructor about your concerns.

del_mo:
My wife and I just took our first lesson. In a pool, in 12 feet of water. All went well. Until the next day. We both felt lousy. Bit of a headache and light headed. We wonder if this was a result of our lesson...the chlorine....???. .

I haven't checked an instructors manual for a while...but for your first lesson, you should have only been in like...chest deep water with swimming pool like conditions, so you could have stood up if there was a problem. This may have lead to your anxiety. Did you have problems equalizing, which you would have had to do at 12 feet?
If the others using tanks filled with the same compressor didn't experience what you did it must not have been the air. Hank

I'd rule out dehydration.....we had plenty of fluids before the dive. And no signs of some bug before or after. We had no problems with equalization. We spent the first half of the class in chest high water learning how to clear our masks and buoyancy issues. This might be a good time for the Twilite Zone theme music!

Did you rehydrate AFTER the class well ?? - A lot of poeple go back home with the A/C blasting more dry air at them go to bed to wake up feeling crappy - I`ve done it myself after teaching a class when I`ve fallen asleep as soon as I`ve sat down

We did to some degree...not thinking that we were hydrating but only because we were thirsty. That never occured to us. Hmmmmmm.

Back
Top Bottom