Our First Trip, So Many Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trip from Placencia to the reef is quite long and the surface interval is on a small island where they serve some kind of snacks or lunch (or it was last time I did that trip). You will want whatever you think necessary for an hour or so on the beach. Would not wear a wetsuit to the boat for this trip. As I recall the boats they use are a good size so a few extras will not be an issue.

I would wear a bathing suit to the boat, but have a change of clothes for the trip back. If it is cloudy and it rains it can be chilly after a couple of dives.

In addition to all the great comments and bits of advice everyone has offered, I would also add this:

Relax. Breathe. Let the divemaster know that you are newly certified, and listen and watch others. I learned a ton on my first two trips by watching the really good experienced divers on the boat and in the water. They were relaxed, but attentive. They were deliberate gearing up, they were slow under the water. If you aren't watchful, you may end of rushing to get geared up, and that makes for a stressful entry. When we got on a boat at the beginning of a trip, we tend to observe other divers. If someone is giddy, or eerily withdrawn from others, that signals they may feel stressed. If you are feeling stressed, tell the divemaster you are nervous so he/she can talk you through it.

The other thing I would add is hydrate. I you can and the boat is large enough, bring a waterbottle. I usually tuck on in an empty tank holder next to me or under my seat, depending on the boat, so long as it isn't rattling around. And don't be surprised if your wife has a hard time tinkling in her wetsuit. You boys seem to be...errr...more comfortable letting go than we are. I always have to ask if the restroom is open after getting back on the boat. :cool2:

in the daytime in the tropics, you usually don't want to put your wetsuit on all the way before getting on even a small boat, to avoid roasting. Just up to the waist will be plenty, the rest should be easy to slip on whenever it seems the time is right. (Long sleeves you can tie in a loose knot or tuck the ends in someplace if they're in the way.) Often you can tell the right time because other people will start getting ready, or the DM may suggest it. Or it may be cool enough once the boat is moving especially if it's cloudy or rainy or you're getting wet from spray anyway.

You've all been extremely helpful. Thank you so far!

I have no hesitation asking questions and am not too prideful to admit to anyone I'm brand new to this. But I also understand that I'm responsible for me, and need to use common sense when heeding advice.

Just returned from our trip and it was amazing. Thanks to a lot of suggestions from you guys things went smooth as butter. I was certainly saddened to see almost no one but us tipping out captain/dive master, and like suggested, we didn't do it very quietly.

We ended up diving at Laughing Bird Caye, Silk Caye, and Gladden Spit. I'll be frank, the diving in Gladden Spit was probably more intensive than Theresa and I were ready for. There were 8-10 foot swells out there, and entry/exit from the boat was dangerous and rough. Surprisingly no one got hurt aside from some bumps and bruises from bashing into fellow divers on the tow line.

Unfortunately, of the 6 dives in Gladden Spit, no whale sharks were spotted. We saw great life in the Silk Cayes though. Morays, HUGE rays, nurse sharks, sea turtles (a real treat), and all sorts of fish, and coral. The wall diving was absolutely beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom