Our Little Cayman Experience: Jan 31-Feb 06 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca_007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
January 30th - February 6th, 2010
Little Cayman Beach Resort
Reef Divers

Getting There (Jan 30):
We arrived on Grand Cayman expecting a layover but not expecting such a small airport. We rushed through customs, all the security checkpoints, and then got to sit in the crowded waiting area. Actually, we first got to stand while waiting for seats to become available. There was only one small bar which didn't have much food but we knew we'd get dinner soon anyway. I guess more disappointing was seeing all the duty-free alcohol which we weren't allowed to buy for consumption on any of the islands. Doh! So much for planning ahead and taking a bit with us for the resort. Our plane eventually arrived and off we went for the true beginning of our journey.

Arrival (Jan 30):
We landed in Little Cayman, gathered our carry-ons, and hopped into the awaiting van. They told us our luggage would follow. Check-in was a bit chaotic but there was our group of 15 and another group who came in behind us. After dropping the carry-ons off in our rooms we gathered for our first meal and were told luggage would be waiting by our doors after dinner. At this time we also wondered if there had been a room mix up because we have 2 double beds instead of 1 queen/king. We asked around our table but no one else seemed to have a room issue. Oh well. This we can deal with. Dinner done, head back to the room... I swore we saw at least one of our bags when getting off the plane but there is nothing waiting for us. Odd. By this time it's dark so we know no more planes will be arriving (no runway lights). While heading to the front desk to ask about our luggage we saw one of our bags being rolled along. It was the bag we had seen getting off the plane but it was mistakenly placed in front of someone else's room. Whew. At least I have a swimsuit and shorts now! My carry-on full of camera gear did not allow me to pack how I wanted so that bag showing up was a huge relief. Our dive gear was still missing however.

Day One (Jan 31):
Breakfast at 7:00am, dive shop opens at 7:00am... we planned to hit the shop first to secure rental gear for the day. Our alarm was set for 6:00am. Shortly before the alarm went off (luckily we set the alarm on our cell phone!) I woke up. Looking at the ceiling I noticed the fan wasn't really spinning right. Then I noticed the air conditioner wasn't running. Didn't think much of that since it had been cycling throughout the night but it seemed too quiet. I leaned over and looked at the digital clock... no numbers. Seriously? Power outage? I used my phone screen to illuminate my way to the bathroom, did my business, then realized no power meant no water. Ugh. At this point I collapsed on the bed in a giggling fit. Double beds. No dive gear. No power. No water. Mark says to me, "Well at least we know the sun will come up." I quickly shot back, "We don't know that for sure!" This was followed by more hysterical laughter. Had we received our dive gear we would have at least had flashlights. Lol.

Power was restored around 7:00am and we made our way to the dive shop to check out rental gear. What an impressive operation. Turns out only a few people had their gear arrive the night before so there were at least 20 divers trying to get outfitted and the 2 staff in the store were very quick, attentive, and thorough in setting everyone up. We had plenty of time to eat our breakfast (after getting full gear) and word was boats were going to wait for the first plane to come in with more bags. We did our boat briefing, had everything set up, and then the luggage started arriving. Yay! Only 3 suitcases didn't make it they said. Guess who owned 2 of those 3 items? Haha. So rental gear it was...

4409793808_13c1462acc.jpg

The gear we used on the first two dives wasn't junk, but it wasn't ours. We decided to leave the expensive camera gear on land since we didn't completely trust our diving ability in the unfamiliar equipment. I'm pretty proud of us for making that decision. The regulators breathed a lot harder than we were used to, the fins gave us blisters while not providing much propulsion, and my mask was a leaky/foggy disaster. But we were diving and that's what we came to do. If it hadn't been for the awesome Reef Divers staff we cold have found ourselves sitting by the pool and missing dives. When we came in for lunch we found our dive bags by our room door and that's where the trials of this trip ended :). Man I love my gear. Dive 3 of the day was much more comfortable, enjoyable, and relaxed.

Days 2-6 (Feb 01-Feb 05):
From here on out I was so overstimulated that much of the diving became a blur. I love being underwater. I was fascinated by the coral and critters. I was awed by the vast walls. I got my picture taken with big Russian guns. I learned a lot about the new camera gear. I saw my first reef shark. I became a Lionfish hunter. I watched an octopus do some hunting. I viewed a school of squid in a completely different light. I was actually tired of purple fans. I ran out of time. I know I have to go back.

4409804346_9c78ffbf5b.jpg

4409037641_5e0c1d677b.jpg

4409027907_5940534cd3.jpg

4409800778_c95f5a9a49.jpg

4409805658_ab91844e8a.jpg

4409040523_e8fb0b6cc5.jpg

4409034317_6a1147d621.jpg

Here are all the spots we visited:
Jan31; Sarah's Set, Marilyn's Cut, Bush Gardens
Feb01; Mixing Bowl, Great Wall West, Coconut Walk
Feb02; Russian Frigate 356 (Tibbetts), Blacktip Blvd., Donna's Delight
Feb03; Randy's Gazebo, Bell Ringer, Joy's Joy
Feb04; Lea Lea's Lookout, Baracuda Bight, Marilyn's Cut, Joy's Joy (night dive)
Feb05; Bus Stop, Mixing Bowl
18 dives, 16 hours 42 minutes underwater, water a constant 80.2F
5 hours of video, 1500 pictures

I put together a slideshow of the pictures but with youtube's 10 min limit I broke it down to 3 parts.
YouTube - Cayman01.wmv
YouTube - Cayman02.wmv
YouTube - Cayman03.wmv

The same pictures can also be seen in my 2010 Little Cayman Flickr album.

Mark put together some really excellent HD videos of the trip and they are on youtube too.
YouTube - Little Cayman 2010
YouTube - Diving the Tibbetts

Plus he chose some of his favorite pictures from the trip for his Little Cayman Underwater and his Little Cayman Surface Flickr albums. A couple are repeats, but there are different ones too.

Oh. We did manage to arrive home with all our bags :p!

Very nice report. Thank you! I need to go back to Little Cayman, and soon!

As always, Little Cayman and Little Cayman Beach Resort never disappoint. June can't get here soon enough!

Nice photos! The delayed/missing dive gear would really freak me out though....I've spend a lot of time and $ on dive gear, and I'm VERY picky about my gear, so that would have really bothered me, the dives would suck for me and I'd be very worried about by missing (or stolen) gear so glad it finally turned up. I know LC is famous for delayed gear due the the tiny planes used, that would likely be enough of an issue to keep me from going to LC as the stress about that would really mess up my vacation, sorry to say. Do love those wall dives though, my favorite!

The earlier pictures were with our trusty Canon SD550 in a Canon housing. It's just a little point and shoot but we have really gotten our money out of that thing. The later stuff is from a Canon 40D in the brand new Ikelite housing. This trip was it's first outing and our first time working with a strobe. I think we learned a lot and I just hope we don't forget it before the next warm water adventure!

The gear thing definitely had me worried. We had our camera gear and our dive computers with us in the carry-ons but everything else was in that luggage that didn't show up right away. I just about sprinted up to the room when I spotted bags sitting out there the next afternoon. I suppose another thing would be to make sure the flight from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman was earlier so more flights could bring luggage our arrival. Perhaps our group size, 15 people, also contributed to the late luggage.

At any rate, Reef Divers was incredibly accommodating and I would not hesitate to dive with them, or stay at Little Cayman Beach Resort. It was a great vacation.

As a group we have accepted the fact that all/none of our luggage will arrive with us. I always tell the group to be sure and have whatever you need to get thru a night in that carry on. In the past, we have be able to re-arrange the first day dive schedule and do 1 dive in the morning after the gear has arrived and 2 in the afternoon. And, everyone begins their diving experience happy!

As a group we have accepted the fact that all/none of our luggage will arrive with us. I always tell the group to be sure and have whatever you need to get thru a night in that carry on. In the past, we have be able to re-arrange the first day dive schedule and do 1 dive in the morning after the gear has arrived and 2 in the afternoon. And, everyone begins their diving experience happy!

I'm taking a group of 16 in May and I've already given them the heads up about the luggage issue and not get stressed about it. That's just part of the adventure in traveling to LC. Last May my bags were the only ones that didn't make it until the next morning. But we just waited until it arrived (scuba geat was in it also) the next morning and did one morning dive and two afternoon dives. It all worked out just fine.

We enjoyed the trip and diving so much that we may very well make it an annual trip from now on.

I'm taking a group of 16 in May and I've already given them the heads up about the luggage issue and not get stressed about it. That's just part of the adventure in traveling to LC. Last May my bags were the only ones that didn't make it until the next morning. But we just waited until it arrived (scuba geat was in it also) the next morning and did one morning dive and two afternoon dives. It all worked out just fine.

We enjoyed the trip and diving so much that we may very well make it an annual trip from now on.

Our first trip to Little Cayman was 1996. We have made it an annual trip since 2000.
IMO, you just can't beat Little Cayman!
Whenever/where ever I travel, my mantra is "It's all part of the adventure!" Lightens the mood a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom