Our new babies!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They dont allow you to ding/chip the tank. I NEVER had a tank slip in the bcd or BP strap with them on. I have since learned to get them good and tight the first time. They are still great for stacking tanks in the back without chipping them.

I never understood the point of the nets... 100's are great tanks though, have fun!

Because you can overfill LP 85s and get a lot more gas than an HP100.

At 3500psi, an HP100 has, well, 100 cubic' of gas while the LP85 has 113, although at 4000psi, the LP85 will have 129 cubes. Most dive shops won't jack up LP tanks much beyond 3000 (97) or 3200psi (103 cubic feet). I have a bunch of LP85's, and I never quite know what the the shop will settle them out at.

As for the net stuff, after a while, they start getting a little ragged and banged up. Enjoy them while they're so purty and perfect.

they are lighter than hp100's, lp85's are 31#
you hardly never get a short fill ( 3000# hot fill when cooled is only 100-200 psi overfill on a tank with valid + rating.) ,
they are probably much cheaper (guessing)
there are no exemptions or special permnits on a lp 85
unless you are diving doubles the extra capacity is not a benefit if you have an avg air consumption,
your buddy using an al 80 at 500# will call the dive when you have 1000 in your hp100.

Why do you wish you gut the 85 vs hp100

they are lighter than hp100's, lp85's are 31#
you hardly never get a short fill ( 3000# hot fill when cooled is only 100-200 psi overfill on a tank with valid + rating.)
Yes, but the same 3lb is difference buoyancy than empty, so you will need add 3lb on your belt.
So maybe tank itself more easy to move, but your total weight before dive is the same.
Regarding overfill after allowed overfilled (ORIGINAL pressure of LP tanks is 2400 with 10% option to overfill = 2640).
Of cause you can do it and maybe some bold dive shop will do it for you, but agree that it means using tank over allowed limit, which I personally will never do.
At 3500psi, an HP100 has, well, 100 cubic' of gas while the LP85 has 113
According to Faber specification real (water) size : L85DVB - 13 liter and FX100DVB - 12.9 liter. So at 3500 psi the difference should be much smaller.

Sweet mikey, did Norbert/Jessica sell you those? Looks like their shop. :)

To the people recommending LP85s, what works for you wouldn't for mikey. You aren't going to find a shop in his area that will overfill a LP. So your LP will only give you 83 cu.ft. Even if a shop hot fills you on an HP100, you'll have a little more gas than an LP85 with a proper fill.

Additionally, most the people around here own HP100, HP119 and HP130. The only people I know diving AL80s are sidemount with double AL80s. The shop I'm thinking of rents AL80 but they also rent HP100 or HP119 for a few bucks more.

Roman

The issue about short fills is that many shops have co mpuressors that shut off at 32-3400. My last lds shut off at 3200. So you are 250-300 short on the fill before the tank cools.
The lp85 they can pump to 3000 adn then let cool and you end up with slightly over the 2640, depending on the compressor. You have 15 cuft difference and a lot of dollars. Yes it is nice to have a neutral tank when it has 500 psi in it. However 3# is not that much to deal with. Its just a steel vs al plate.

Yes, but the same 3lb is difference buoyancy than empty, so you will need add 3lb on your belt.
So maybe tank itself more easy to move, but your total weight before dive is the same.
Regarding overfill after allowed overfilled (ORIGINAL pressure of LP tanks is 2400 with 10% option to overfill = 2640).
Of cause you can do it and maybe some bold dive shop will do it for you, but agree that it means using tank over allowed limit, which I personally will never do.

According to Faber specification real (water) size : L85DVB - 13 liter and FX100DVB - 12.9 liter. So at 3500 psi the difference should be much smaller.

Thats funny. Don't come down to dive any of the springs in cave country. Nobody asks what fill you want. You just get overfilled. Anything less than 3600 in a cooled tank is a short fill here. If you talk to a good hydro guy(one with overfilled tanks like ours in this area), he'll tell you that overfilling may shorten the life of a tank, but by so little no one will ever notice. And it definitely doesn't make your tanks go pop

KWS and rddvet I am not understand much in hydro tank area, looks you trying to say that LP can be fill exactly like HP : 3200 or even 3600 (instead of recommended 2400 and 10% overfilling than it is hot). It actually mean the all LP and HP classification is bull....
I still believe that different permissions are mean something.
Overfilling probably also depends of area, scubadiver888: ---You aren't going to find a shop in his area that will overfill a LP ---
I personally prefer to follow recommendations and use HP tank if I need more than 2640 psi and I will never ask to fill my HP120 more than 3442 psi as written on it.
If nobody ask how to fill your LP private tank, for me it just pointed to low service level in the shop or low understanding, but it may be personal feeling also.
Common excuse : all people do it.

KWS and rddvet I am not understand much in hydro tank area, looks you trying to say that LP can be fill exactly like HP : 3200 or even 3600 (instead of recommended 2400 and 10% overfilling than it is hot). It actually mean the all LP and HP classification is bull....
I still believe that different permissions are mean something.
Overfilling probably also depends of area, scubadiver888: ---You aren't going to find a shop in his area that will overfill a LP ---
I personally prefer to follow recommendations and use HP tank if I need more than 2640 psi and I will never ask to fill my HP120 more than 3442 psi as written on it.
If nobody ask how to fill your LP private tank, for me it just pointed to low service level in the shop or low understanding, but it may be personal feeling also.
Common excuse : all people do it.

In general, yes it's BS. There are thousands and thousands of LP and HP tanks overfilled on a regular basis. The hydro guys that are used to tanks that are overfilled often will tell you that they can pick out the tanks that are overfilled while they're hydro'ing based on some stretch characteristics, but will tell you that they rarely ever see overfilling as a common reason for decreased tank life. Secondly, it's my understanding that there have been very few if any tank injuries from an in-hydro, oxygen clean tank being overfilled. I believe in all cases it's been proven that other factors other than overfilling of steel tanks led to explosions. Of course I don't have hard data.

The excuse isn't all people do it. The excuse is that it's done so often, that overfilling has been proven to be generally safe.

They're your tanks so if you want them filled to service pressure then go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom