Our Sabang Canyons Salmon Run (aka the Dive of Death)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!!!! One of the best threads ever! Jason, great report dude. My heart was pumping.. had to read it 3 times.

Great advice from all the experts as well! There were a lot of life-saving tips. Many, many thanks to you all!

Been to PG just once on my OW. Dove Hole in the Wall. Now that I had my AOW and 100 logged dives, hope I'm ready for the Canyons next time.

Love PPD,
Gi

It's jellyfish and fish egg season in PG at the moment - you can really see the down currents near the surface when you do your safety stop! It's like jellyfish snow! Luckily they aren't stinging yet :)

I did the fishbowl to canyons last week and the current was ripping, and that was close to slack water (I'm not sure how accurate those tide tables were though!) - I can confirm the fish bowl is much deeper too, my point and shoot camera flooded around 40m but luckily it didn't seem too serious thanks to my good friend nitrogen - Although I seem to remember becoming a bit more concerned on the way up to the canyons :)

i still keep on reading this post :D it's sooo educational ... and cool

just curious...

correct me if i'm wrong but you guys are wearing bp/w's right? can jacket-type-bc divers dive canyons? a friend of mine was just asking after i let him read your post :)

Yes, definetly! Back plates and wings are not better or safer than jacket style BCDs (OK, I'm going to get flamed for this...:mooner:). They are different. Much better at some things... Not as good at others... It's just personal preference. I didn,t like my experience with a BP/Wing and single tank. Much prefer my BCD. But with double tanks, I loved the BP/W!

What you do need is to have good buyancy control though and some experience in current. Canyons is by no means an easy dive, even when the tides are good...

:coffee:

just curious...

correct me if i'm wrong but you guys are wearing bp/w's right? can jacket-type-bc divers dive canyons? a friend of mine was just asking after i let him read your post :)

When it comes to diving at canyons and/or fishbowl, an experienced guide is priceless. As a general rule, the shops I've dived with in PG over the years make it a rule to not dive canyons during an ebb. Unfortunately, the available tide charts that are published on the web are mostly timed for places as far away as Calapan. There can often be quite a discrepency between the times posted on the chart and the reality of the situation in Sabang. Personally, I also find it sooo much easier to navigate to Canyons from Hole in the Wall during a flood as opposed to trying to find it from the other direction in an ebb.

I dived with Capt'n Gregg's a lot and if the DM/instructor was not sure about the conditions, we would make a quick glance at the boat captain, BigBoy, and the look on his face would often make up our minds. :confused4: Kilima Drift is just as good of an option to dive during an ebb.

Heading back to Sabang in about 10 days. The anticipation is almost unbearable. :dance:

awesome story

Dove canyons pbb 10 times. Had one wild ride as well

Had to spiderman over the bottom all dive but made it to the bowl. Had to stay there for like 5~10 minutes cause there was a whirlpool above us and downcurrents in front of us. Dont think we ever saw the canyons, just blew straight over it. We had this real experienced but total garbage diver with a new rebreather with us who just kept stressing. Good he had a rebreather cause otherwise he was out-of-air in 5 minutes lol

We split in 2 groups of two and hit the surface like 200meter further. Sick downcurrent as well. Saw fish getting blow away and rocks break when we held on to them. We dove 2 days after full moon or so

Good thing was I dove with trendy and her bf Ian from divedojo. Wasnt experienced at all (50 dives or so) and just thought it was all exciting while they were scared ****tless cause I was there.

Ignorance is a bliss but a good instructor is better :D

loved the canyons though

def. my favorite site

i'm arranging my leaves for summer and included pg in my list :D ... followed by carabao island and panglao (homeland :D) although the pg stories are scary, i find them interesting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom