Our Sabang Canyons Salmon Run (aka the Dive of Death)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Rick,

I've been in Hong Kong for the last 2 years after 4 in China. I get to PG occasionally but not often enough and don't make it down your way very often; I spend most of my time playing with Dave and Sam.

Drew

yikes! sounds all to familiar... it's good that Jason and his buddies are ok.. had a similar near miss in Verde Island just last April. Pinoy Pasaway's can read my story here. (It's in tagalog, but hopefully everyone else will get the picture :wink:)

Dive safe!
Jao

So when they joined us, we decided to do our favorite dive, Sabang Canyons -> Fish Bowl. As most of you know, the currents are usually strong, and fishbowl is at 90 ft, so the divemasters only take very experienced divers.

That's where i was taken to do my first drift dive for the Advanced PADI....had a total of 10 logged dives at that point... mmmm.... thankfully the current was nothing like what is described here! it was actually a beautiful dive... but in hindsight, probably not such a safe dive for average divers.

all my dives after getting certified was at PG. Did Canyon thrice.
Once, doing 'Superman' w/ Ethei! EXHILARATING!!!
Reading d posts of d other divers is really scary!
I wouldnt know what 2 do, if I encountered d same.. :(
Lucky 4 me, almost all my dives r w/ Ethei. & I know im in competent if not d best of hands!

Happy divings people! & be safe always!! :))

Ethei is one of the ones at the top of the game.....I trust him very much and have always said he is one of the best (several times)

I'm a little late to this party, but...

I've dived Canyons a few times, great dive but yes, a little windy at times

Fishbowl goes down to 48m, as someone else said - only done it once, current was ok, loved it (getting narced didn't hurt that :) )

DSMB is a must for dives like that IMHO - as well as boat staff that know what the current is doing (hi Big Boy!)

Jason, it sunds like you had a pretty hariy dive. From your description you actually dove the Canyons and 2nd Canyon on the ebb tide. The Canyons has a max depth of about 100ft, the second canyon is at 90ft (in fact the Fishbowl is a deeper site - 130ft to the edge of the bowl and 148ft feet inside).

Two things happen on the ebb tide - the current starts to rip as it passes by escarceo point - a down current can be formed over the deep fishbowl - this is what dragged you down.
I think you are correct. I was in PG again a few weeks ago and did Canyons 2x. I can't get over what a great dive it is. :)

The first time was my tuneup dive the morning after I arrived LOL. We swam through hole in the wall then did the Canyons. The thing that struck me on this dive was that the current was going sideways, and then as we went from one "canyon" to the next, the current would turn to the opposite direction. Can anyone explain how this happens? After this first dive, which was with a bunch of Koreans, it turned out they were a bunch of experienced tech instructors and divers, and one of them asked what my cert level was. He told me that at the beginning of the dive they were watching me to see if I could handle the dive and the currents, and then complimented my "skill" lol. I explained that I had >220 dives.

2 days later I did it again, and this was by far the best Canyon dive I've ever done. Visibility felt like 90 ft, and the view was SPECTACULAR, with so many fish all swimming around, feeding, and fighting the turbulent currents, in the rugged terrain. It was with Mark @ Sea Rider, and he explained that the right way to do it was with the tide flooding, so you can hit all 3 canyons. In our group were 2 other divers, a young Scottish instructor who works in Malaysia, and his sister.

We did 1 canyon first and then we swam through the hole in the wall - no, make that we were *spit* through the hold *weeeeee!*. We then did the other 2 canyons. The currents seemed stronger and more turbulent than 2 days earlier, and I even got myself bitten by a black and white fish while hanging onto the anchor near the 2nd canyon. Cheeky little bugger!

At the end of the dive was the usual blue water ascent (during which I ALWAYS watch my depth gauge like a hawk, if only to keep my ascent rate nice and slow). At 49 feet, I felt a mild downcurrent, and had to inflate extra and fin some, and I only got dragged down to about 55 ft. The other 2 didn't notice it. Mark signalled me to stay within visual contact while he went down to fetch the other 2, who had gone down probably another 15-20 ft.

Anyway it's funny how so many divers don't watch their depth gauge when in blue water. I think this is the most common oversight, which probably explains how hammerhead got swept down without knowing:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3725520-post23.html
and his scary experience:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3725361-post19.html

I have been on that same anchor and I felt as if I were a flag in high winds. Many dive guides get wrapped up in their own dives sometimes and realize it a bit too late that the area around the anchor is full of down current patches. They never get covered in the dive brief (the ones I have attended) and I always "remind" them. It can be a tough ascent sometimes.....pay attention and be prepared to fight a bit of current. If you do not pay attention you can wind up in the shipping lanes!

what an experience!!!

for us seasoned mountaineers, mindoro is known for the killer mountain mt halcon and i never thought there'd also be a killer drift canyon in the same area. (side note: i've heard stories about the romblon "whirlpool" but would like to go there probably after my pg dive).

i plan to dive pg this april (yey for replenished vl's!!!) and not sure though if my dive experience is already enough to test the canyons so definitely i have to rely big time on the dive master. i got offers from badladz and discovery during my stay at pg last month (i intended not to bring my gear yet just to get to know both centers) and am not sure yet whom to dive with :( in any case, i guess there will also be much preparation on my part.

FWIW in blue water ascents I ascend with one hand on my BC fill and dump buttons, and the other hand holding my computer/depth gauge up to my face.

Back
Top Bottom