Question Outdated training manuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...what edition is that? The cover on mine is different, so I need to know whether there's a newer one. Gotta keep up to date, after all!
Yes, there are newer editions. I learned using the 6th Edition (copyright 1985). My course was in 1986, and this 6th Edition was out of print at that time--at least, my univ bookstore wasn't able to get new copies--and we all had to purchase used copies.

rx7diver

I contacted TDI support for a recommendation for more up to date software
I use Subsurface (Desktop version) for planning. It's multi-platform and open source / free.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
I just completed TDI AN/DP/Helitrox a few weeks ago and the out of date eLearning course material probably was my biggest annoyance with the TDI program. I was a STEM undergrad and I've been interested in decompression science for years. So I was a bit dismayed to find the outdated eLearning over emphasis on bubble models and VPM without much, if any, mention of the subsequent developments, in particular the 2011 NEDU deep stop study. V-Planner is the recommended dive planning software - huh?

I contacted TDI support for a recommendation for more up to date software and they suggested MultiDeco. At the time I didn't want to pay $ until I had taken the class to get more information. I was told diveplanner.net was a good free option for completing the eLearning. The rep said TDI is aware their material is out of date and in the process of updating its eLearning with no ETA. TDI really should at the very least provide some kind of disclosure that their material is at least 10 years out of date and recommend software that provides better alternatives than just VPM - after all, MultiDeco and V-Planner are both by the SAME company and MultiDeco has a VPM option.

In person classroom the instructor was much more up to date and did briefly reference the NEDU deep stop study and how bubble models are probably not consistent with modern decompression science. Although I did note a reluctance to engage in any debate or controversy re: gas content vs. bubble model. His response to my GF setting of 55/80 was, "I can live with that" without much further discussion. Dive Planning was taught using MultiDeco, although it was not required for students to use any particular brand of planner. I noted another student in the class was not familiar with recent decompression science outside of the TDI materials, and he seemed a bit lost during my questions of choices of GF and differences between ZHL-16, VPM, RGBM, DSAT etc..

Knowing what I know now, if I were to advise a friend about to embark on technical training I would tell them the TDI eLearning is about 10 years out of date and incomplete. And to get the most out of the courses I would recommend they supplement the eLearning on their own with things like:

Thoughtful management of decompression stress - Dr Neal Pollock at BSAC’s Diving Conference 2016

Under Pressure: Diving Deeper with Human Factors (2019) - Lock, Gareth

There's obviously a ton more scientific material out there. I really liked @boulderjohn's summary (reviewed by Dr Simon Mitchell) with links to most, if not all, the recent relevant scientific materials.

Padi/DSAT just released their updated Tec Rec Elearning !

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom