outstanding socal conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimber- You just don't remember the joys associated with diving a wetsuit. I'm still in my semi-shorty with the exceptional water-cooled crotch (thanks to the poor choice of fabric by Seaquest for that model X-Flex)!

What joys you ask? A hot shower feels soooooo much better after diving wet than diving dry (unless your dry suit leaks)!

Didn't dive today... too lazy. Conditions reported at 30-40 ft in the dive park but again overcast skies limited light underwater.

drbill:
Kimber- You just don't remember the joys associated with diving a wetsuit. I'm still in my semi-shorty with the exceptional water-cooled crotch (thanks to the poor choice of fabric by Seaquest for that model X-Flex)!

What joys you ask? A hot shower feels soooooo much better after diving wet than diving dry (unless your dry suit leaks)!

Didn't dive today... too lazy. Conditions reported at 30-40 ft in the dive park but again overcast skies limited light underwater.

Au contraire Sir Bill --- I know about diving wet --I still do it when I DM on the boat and when I am working with the sharks --- and i despise it!!!!!!! (the wet part that is - not the DMing or the sharks)!!!!! BLECH!!! I only do it because it is necessary. When I dive for fun --- I do it dry!

I didn't dive today either --- family obligations --- so I went to see my horse in the free time I had.

Kimber

Just teasing you Kimber. I am one of those looney wiedos who much prefers diving wet. But ten I've never had the misfortune of diving dry. Most of my professional dive buddies who went from wet to dry have returned to wet again.

I promise I will don a wetsuit (after some training) when I finally dive Antarctica!

I assume you are referring to a sea "horse!" You and Missy should ride together.

I dove the Ruby E and the Yukon Sat afternoon. Ruby was about (57-59)2 degrees colder than the Yukon and most of us in wetsuits did fine. Viz on the both the wrecks was about 50'. Was able to go to the crows nest and see most of the Yukon, very cool.

One new one for me, while looking in the portside porthole of the Ruby, a bird (black very common) came swimming out. This bird would periodically surface and return, and would pass with in easy reach. A bird at 80' just is not something I expected :)

awesome conditions this last saturday, heard La Jolla was similar.

scubanimal:
One new one for me, while looking in the portside porthole of the Ruby, a bird (black very common) came swimming out. This bird would periodically surface and return, and would pass with in easy reach. A bird at 80' just is not something I expected :)
ShakZulu and I saw a cormorant swimming (or maybe underwater flying would be more accurate) next to us in about 80' at La Jolla Shores one time. It was quite a surprise to me too.

Christian

drbill:
I promise I will don a wetsuit (after some training) when I finally dive Antarctica!

I hope you mean a dry suit Bill !! Brrrrr!!!!!!

Went on the three tank trip with DCI today. Scheduled was the Yukon, Ruby E., and the Kelp beds.

First dive on the Yukon vis was perhaps as good as 15 feet on the outside amidships, 5 feet or less at the bow. I keep telling myself, "I gotta get a drysuit", well today was no exception. I have not downloaded my computer but I would guess at depth it was in the high 40's since I usually don't feel the cold until I cross that magic 50 degree line.

The vis on the Yukon was so poor that we decided to skip the Ruby E. and head to the kelp, we figured that the vis in the kelp forest would be bad as well so we stayed shallow as the vis above 20' was in the 20 foot range, below that it turned to soup with perhaps 10' vis around 35'.

Our third dive was in the same spot on the kelp since there was nothing at depth to look at anyway, so a swim around the upper areas of the kelp would look the same even if we moved. By the tme we got in the water the murk was rising and at 20' vis was around 10 feet, you didn't have anything like good vis until you got to about 10'.

The visibility in the kelp did make a nice excuse to work on navigation, but since it was a half hearted effort at best we just bobbed the few feet up to the surface to locate the boat, we must have gone directly under it three times without realizing it since the vis was so poor and the sky was overcast the boat did not make much of a shadow.

Now off to eBay to look for that used TLS350 or CLX450 in an Extra Large. :)

Mark Vlahos

As usual, you correct me again Missy... yes, I meant drysuit. However one of my professors at Harvard (John Dearborn) dove Antarctica in a wetsuit (but that was in the 50's or early 60's).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom