Over The Counter Sudafed Sends Utah Woman To Jail In Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something that strikes me as interesting and not congruent about the story is the whole "You can go to the pharmacy around the corner and get some more" aspect. They could have just been giving her the business, but pseudoephedrine is actually outlawed in Mexico and can't be sold at all.
It sounds like maybe they carry the fake Sudafed - same name as the original product without pseudoephedrine, like they sell in the US to those who don't read labels or know the difference. They also offered to give hers back tho. Again, we have only the one sided story.

I dunno. It's weird. Stick them in an aspirin or Tylenol bottle. :idk:

Would getting your doctor to write a prescription or a letter prevent this problem if you carry only enough for personal use? This kind of freaks me out. I've been coming to Cozumel for years, and my husband and I often really need the Sudafed to prevent equalization problems. I dang sure don't want to have to pay a big "fine", land in jail OR have difficulty diving on my dive vacation.
I asked that same question since in fact I already have it as prescription but I doubt anyone can answer that since no one can really answer why she was singled out of the masses.

My other question is if they would recognize it if it was a combination pill like Claritin D or Mucinex D

My other question is if they would recognize it if it was a combination pill like Claritin D or Mucinex D
Maybe it's like here where it's only the pure stuff that is restricted.

Something that strikes me as interesting and not congruent about the story is the whole "You can go to the pharmacy around the corner and get some more" aspect. They could have just been giving her the business, but pseudoephedrine is actually outlawed in Mexico and can't be sold at all.
Maybe they meant that she could do that when she got home.

Maybe they meant that she could do that when she got home.

Not so sure.

At the end of the process, the Carvers said an official asked them if they’d like the Sudafed back, and then were told they could buy more at the pharmacy on the corner.
Even bigger mystery is why would they get an illegal substance back?

""Even bigger mystery is why would they get an illegal substance back?""

Probably to bust her again on the way home?...........hahha

Get a prescription. I've flown all over the world with it and no problem if it's in the original container with a doctor's prescription. Went through the United Arab Emirates and Maldives last October and no problem. However, I thought the UAE "tsa" was gonna come unglued over my tiny roll of gorilla tape in my carryon. ( don't travel anywhere without gorilla tape and zip ties)

Not so sure.

At the end of the process, the Carvers said an official asked them if they’d like the Sudafed back, and then were told they could buy more at the pharmacy on the corner.
Even bigger mystery is why would they get an illegal substance back?
Whatever. This story is long on sensationalism and short on veracity, IMO. The headline would have you believe that she is still languishing in a Mexican prison. She was detained for a little while, $haken down, and released.

I think the whole "get a prescription and you'll be fine" or "just carry enough for your trip" is specious. Granted, she's not still in jail over this. But none of the above strategies will prevent a traveler from getting shaken down for what is actually a bona fide legal violation. I've traveled to Mexico with Sudafed in my carry-on plenty of times without incident, but I don't presume to tell someone they're immune from such a shakedown if they simply follow my strategy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom