Overfilling Scuba Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i regularly fill my alum 80s to 4000 psi.

It turns them into a 106 cuft tank. Much longer dives.

Just dont forget to double disk or put in plugs!

thats crazy!

What about this question. At what pressure do tanks (lets look at the white painted faber 95's rated at 2400+) rupture? Is the metal in the tank overly stressed when exposed to pressures in the 3600-4200 (keeping with multiples of three to ease in calculating thirds)? at what pressure do today's popular regulators (diverite/salvo, SP, Atomic) begin to fail. Do you run a higher risk of damaging the first stage, or of the tank exploding and causing damage.

The pressure stamped on the tank, is the legal limit, kind of like speed limit on highways. The DOT, department of transportation, can be involved, if you cross state lines. And like speeding cars, when an accident happens, law breakers, get very close attention from the courts. If you or anyone else over fills a tank, the injured parties will speak of "reckless" "criminal" and other things that lawyers like to use.

Do whatever you like, just accept the consequences.

The problem is that, sooner or later, these overstresed tanks are sold to unsuspecting divers. Probably, the tank doesn't fracture but one has to wonder how many hydros it will pass.

Richard

I know someone who has been diving a set thats been done that way since I believe 1977, might be 75 and they are still passing hydro and being dived several times a month. My tanks are high pressure so I am not real concerned with it but if I found a good deal on LP'S that were overfilled I would buy them and not be concerned with it.

I just love this cave-country quip. "The best part about scuba tanks is that they have the turnaround pressure stamped right on their necks."

Turn around pressure on the tank? :confused: Or did you mean fill pressure?

I just love this cave-country quip. "The best part about scuba tanks is that they have the turnaround pressure stamped right on their necks."

Turn around pressure on the tank? :confused: Or did you mean fill pressure?

Same thing for a cave diver. They use the overpressure on the way out and the working pressure on the way back.

Richard

Is it ok to fill scuba cylinders, specifically steel cylinders, I have heard of people filling LP cylinders (service pressure 2400) to 3600 and sometimes even 4200. Is this safe?

If you do that you will surely die!!!!

I know someone who has been diving a set thats been done that way since I believe 1977, might be 75 and they are still passing hydro and being dived several times a month. My tanks are high pressure so I am not real concerned with it but if I found a good deal on LP'S that were overfilled I would buy them and not be concerned with it.

People do all kinds of crazy things and get away with it, but it does not mean it's safe.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom