OW/AOD/DM/AI/Instructor Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I to design it from scratch, it would go something like this:

.5 Beginner Diver

-- what the PADI open water is today, with slightly less book knowledge. Basically a 2 day intro course. This person would be certified to dive under the supervision of a DM.

1. OW Diver (to be competent to dive with a buddy in the environment for which s/he was trained without supervision

Dive Skills:

The student would be able to demonstrate essential skills (mask clearing, regulator recovery, self-rescue techniques, etc.) without any outwardly apparent diffuculty from a stationary hover in OW without changing depth by more than 5'. These demonstrations should take place on at least 4 different dives and be rated by at least two different instructors. The dive skills would be filmed and the video footage made part of a permanent student file as well as be used to judge the adequacy of an instructor. Independent reviewers would pull footage randomly and without knowing the instructor's name, and if they decided the diver showed any difficulty, the instructor would basically be given a check mark by their name. An instructor would have a limited number of check marks they could accumulate in a lifetime, once that limit would be reached, they would no longer be able to teach.

Knowledge:

Be able to explain the reasoning behind the various safety rules in scuba, the practical application of rudimentary physics and physiology as it relates to scuba, etc. Pretty much the way it is now for PADI would, in my mind be just fine. I would add in dive planning and dive management using dive computers.

2. Advanced Openwater (what should this diver be able to do?)
Meaningless

3. Divemaster (what skills should a DM possess?)

4. Assistant Instructor
A true assistant to an instructor. This person would typically start out merely leading divers around sites, and would with experience progress to running an entire course themselves under the direct supervision of an instructor. A person would be certified as an assistant instructor when an instructor asked an OW diver to become one. The instructor would be personally legally liable for the actions of that person during their tenure as an AI. The training of the AI to perform their duties would be a mentoring responsibility of the instructor.

Instructor
At least 5 years experience as an AI with written recommendations from at least 2 different and independent instructors. A "year" would require a minimum of 50 weeks of active training in no less than one calendar year, where one week of active training means at least 7 calendar days at at least a full course: classroom, pool and OW (So the fastest this could be met is in 5 years, but a DM who assisted with one class a month would require 20 years to become an instructor).

For an instructor to maintain their status, they would be required to provide proof of having at least one AI over any given 5 year period. Failure to actively mentor would disqualify an instructor to teach for failing to meet a primary responsibility.

Basically, I would build a guild system.

My thinking is that OW and AOW should be combined as the basic certification to allow a diver to dive with another certified buddy. This would give the diver more experience in varied conditions before they are turned out on their own.

Make the Master Scuba diver cert more meaningful by requiring the most useful specialties be taken. Nav, Deep, Buoyancy, Altitude and Search & Recovery. Also make it a prerequisite to Rescue. IMHO these are skills that all Rescue Divers should have. It would put more skills and more dives in each divers background as a requirement to move to more advanced certs.
I don't feel that the number of dives tells the story of a person background or readiness to move on but training that requires an assortment of dive types does set a level of readiness.

As others have stated DM & AI should also be combined. With the prior training from MSD and Rescue I propose, this would already raise the minimum number of dives and the skillset just to begin a the pro level training. To finish with a new combined DM/AI should require both simulated scenarios and internships, further developing skills and experience.

Then a minimum number of actual working dives and classes to hone and practice before moving on to instructor level. Maybe something like 10 Discovery scuba sessions, 10 refresher classes and 10 OW classes assisting a instructor and 2 of each of the proposed MSD specialties classes assisting a instructor.

As you can see this would push up the minimum dive count but more importantly set a minimum skills and experience level.

1. OW Diver (to be competent to dive with a buddy in the environment for which s/he was trained without supervision

Minimum 8 class & pool sessions, no maximum. 2 OW dives with an instructor gets a "Learners Permit" Another 30 with assorted competent divers in various conditions gets an OW card.

Should be able to plan and execute a dive and come back with buddy, a big smile and a non-empty tank.

Ditch it.

Should have passed a psychological test to see if the little voice in his head that say "Somebody's going to get hurt or killed here" is accurate and still works, and if he actually listens to it.

Needs the b**** to be able to tell someone they're not qualified for a particular dive and the wisdom to pick an appropriate site so the above isn't necessary.

4. Assistant Instructor / Instructor

Needs the above, plus enough financial stability and personal integrity to not be pushed into certifying someone who shouldn't be.

Terry

RAWalker, For the MSD I did Nav,Deep, PPB, Night, Wreck & Nitrox (separately). I agree with you that the first 3 should be required, but I'll probably never dive at altitude and other than having an interest, the only reason to include Search & Recovery would be in tandem with the Rescue course (which may be a good idea).

RAWalker, For the MSD I did Nav,Deep, PPB, Night, Wreck & Nitrox (separately). I agree with you that the first 3 should be required, but I'll probably never dive at altitude and other than having an interest, the only reason to include Search & Recovery would be in tandem with the Rescue course (which may be a good idea).

I'm not saying that other people wouldn't find other specialties useful.
What I am saying is we need a baseline of experience as we progress towards higher certification levels particularly those that imply responsibility.

Atitude althought not needed by many divers it is used extensively on inland bodies of water and introduces divers to theory that will be expanded upon at during DM training. Search and Recovery is often used to find lost equipment and contains skills that are immediately useful and will become more useful at the Rescue level. Keep in mind this is for persons heading towards the professional level. At MSD people would already be considering if they were on a pro track or simply interested in other specialties. Also after the enhanced OW/AOW combination proposed they would be free to pursue other specialties. Yes, some would want the added knowledge and skills that rescue would offer and it is fine or them to not progress beyond that.
It is my feeling that the title "Rescue Diver" although simply a recreational diver with more training geared towards rescue, seems to imply responsibility. For this reason I'd reposition rescue to the highest non professional cert. level.

In other words, how competent should a person be before they are certified to each level (minimum requirements regardless of affiliation):

4. Assistant Instructor / Instructor

I would like to see a distinction between cold water and tropical diving.
In other words diver certification reflecting conditions as well as skill and development level.

I do not feel "time" should enter into competency based learning, so I see no reason to increase
certification using time frame based criteria. The prerequisites that exist are sufficient Imo.

I would like to see a distinction between cold water and tropical diving. In other words diver certification reflecting conditions as well as skill and development level.

Thanks for your comments; I think that this is a beneficial observation.

I do not feel "time" should enter into competency based learning, so I see no reason to increase certification using time frame based criteria. The prerequisites that exist are sufficient Imo.

I suppose that the only advantage of such a requirement is that it outlines the number of "training hours" that is required at a minimum. Dive stores could not push their Instructor into running a shorter course and expect them to "come across" or go elsewhere. It would require an Instructor to commit a finite minimum to the training and give the student some reassurance that s/he would be given a reasonable opportunity (time frame) to learn the material.

I appreciate you providing your opinion.

I would like to see a distinction between cold water and tropical diving.
In other words diver certification reflecting conditions as well as skill and development level.

I do not feel "time" should enter into competency based learning, so I see no reason to increase
certification using time frame based criteria. The prerequisites that exist are sufficient Imo.

An interesting idea. So if you were certified in the great lakes you couldn't dive in the keys without taking another course?

While the idea is not without merit, I actually think that's a step in the wrong direction for a variety of reasons. First, I think there are already too many 'certifications'. I would be OK with 'Diver' and 'Instructor' as the certifications.
Next, I thought there was already something about your certification meaning that 'you are certified to dive in conditions similar to what you were certified in'...or something like that. Finally, I think intelligence would make this dual open water certification unnecessary. As a warm water diver I know that if I ever found myself interested in diving cold I would seek out the guidance and instruction of people who dive those conditions routinely before getting in the water. I would want to be well versed in dry suits, hazards, and things I don't even know that I don't know.

I still thin minimum time at a level should be required. It would, in my opinion, help the industry. I think the low salaries are a result of people going from zero to hero in 2 months time and that isn't good for anyone.

"Just because you've taken the class, doesn't mean you're qualified to do the dive."
-- Ninja Diver

Then why take the class to begin with?

As i always say (but i most likely will get Flameballs thrown at me for this...) Certified Doesn't mean Qualified.........

Back
Top Bottom