OW class question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't replace the primary; but it is available if needed. We don't stop training it just because something better came along. Astronauts don't stop training backups just because there is a better system installed.

Of course having a plan-b is a good idea, but the better backup for a failed computer while diving is another computer. In your example above, if, during the ultimate holiday, the diver fell back to tables and continued to dive the rest of the trip with them then they would ultimately get less bottom time for the trip than if they did a 12-18 hour SI and carried on with a new computer.

The issue I see isn't backup and even though tables are a lousy option for this as compared to other options, it seems to be the only thing people bring up in every one of these discussions as a reason to keep training them.

I support teaching computers; it should be the primary means- but the alternate should be taught as well.
How would you address the problem I have mentioned a couple of times in this thread that after a period of time, people generally do not remember how to use the tables correctly? I see a risk in this that I believe can be better addressed by recommending using a 2nd computer as a backup.

Then this is where you failed as an instructor, to instruct properly. If they were taught properly, then it is their fault for letting a skill deteriorate.
I see no benefit in assigning blame for this. It doesn't address the fact. The fact remains that if people do not use the tables on a regular basis most of them will forget over time how to apply them correctly.

You simply don't grasp the concept of backup, do you? There always exists a viable need to have an alternate plan if one system fails. If your computer fails on a trip, having a backup can save time and money.
On this we agree. We just disagree about what form that backup should take.

Teaching tables does not infringe on the ability or need to teach computers. Nor should it replace computers. Both should be taught side-by-side. This produces a more skilled diver, one that can better handle an failure.
They are not incompatible, I agree. However, as I've said above, I see tables as an inferior way of backing up a computer, *especially* during that trip of a lifetime. On a one or two dive day, sure, go ahead and use tables from time to time. Nothing wrong with it and manually working it out is a good mental exercise. I understand what you're trying to say, but I disagree with you that learning tables makes one a more skilled diver. It might make them a more knowledgeable diver, but as time goes by we will see more and more highly skilled divers who can't easily find their way around a table.

R..

---------- Post added March 16th, 2014 at 10:57 AM ----------

This is why computers must be taught. It takes a while to learn how to use a computer properly.

This point often gets overlooked and deserves repeating. Regardless of whether or not the instructor is teaching tables the computer should *always* be taught. I still see instructors around me failing to teach computers and as a result they are teaching something the student isn't going to use and failing to teach something that the student WILL be using.

I see teaching tables as optional, but I see teaching to use computers as mandatory.

R..

---------- Post added March 16th, 2014 at 11:00 AM ----------

I almost always calculate my dive profiles after each dive using the tables, for practice, and just in case my computer fails. I have a waterproof watch and a depth gauge as backup. If my computer failed mid-dive (unlikely), or if I accidentally left the computer at home (happened once), I could still dive based on the tables and a square profile. In other words, I would act as if I had been diving on tables all day.

The last dive I made was made to a maximum depth of 38 metres for a total bottom time before reaching the safety stop depth of 37 minutes.

The NDL at 38 metres is 9 minutes IIRC. What was my pressure group after that dive?

This is the reason we can only use tables as a back up for computers if the dive *happens* to fall somewhere on the same map. Often times it does not.

R..

Just my small input. I was taught on tables - and then advised not to buy a computer as the most important part of my kit. I did my AoW again on tables 2 years later (and had to re read the instructions). My Nitrox 2 years after that - yep got the tables for that course too, and now switching to BSAC I have another set of tables (BSAC seem to have one for each day of the Week!)

Do I use any of them now...Nope! I have a computer. Of course I do - I wonder how many hours less I'd have dived if I'd have been on tables

My point. if I were to take my tables on a dive trip I'd incur excess baggage as i have so many (I'm being flippant here) so they don't go on the "ultimate dive trip" If my comp failed I'd scrub the next diver and hire one for the rest of the vacation. Blah blah blah with the backup argument it doesn't figure unless of course you take a spare set of everything!

That said I still feel that even if learning the comp variant it's worth a short while learning tables only as others have said as it gives you a basic understanding of decompression, from that you can have a better understanding of what your computer is telling you rather than blindly following it's readout. So even in this transition period and after I'd hope that a shrt time was spent on tables as a introduction to the computer.

That said I still feel that even if learning the comp variant it's worth a short while learning tables only as others have said as it gives you a basic understanding of decompression, from that you can have a better understanding of what your computer is telling you rather than blindly following it's readout. So even in this transition period and after I'd hope that a shrt time was spent on tables as a introduction to the computer.

I think that's a good point. It's important to understand deco theory. What I've found, however, is that while the tables are handy for expressing some of the concepts (the relationships between depth and NDL's for example), there is *much* about deco theory that just teaching tables won't touch upon. The temptation that I see among instructors who are still very much tables focused is to think that you're teaching deco theory if you're teaching tables.

You're not.

Tables are a planning tool and that's only one part of deco theory.

R..

I think that's a good point. It's important to understand deco theory. What I've found, however, is that while the tables are handy for expressing some of the concepts (the relationships between depth and NDL's for example), there is *much* about deco theory that just teaching tables won't touch upon. The temptation that I see among instructors who are still very much tables focused is to think that you're teaching deco theory if you're teaching tables.

You're not.

Tables are a planning tool and that's only one part of deco theory.

R..

I totally agree with you R I think tables should be relegated as a teaching tool/example for planning (my bad example).

One Question.. when teaching computers do you teach a generic model, provide a student with one each and teach that (by teach I mean understand the display) or cover different examples? - Only assign out of interest with no hidden agenda

For recreational dives I see no problem with not having redundancy. If the dive computer fails during the dive then the proper response is to ascend to the surface. A 3 minute safety stop at 15-20' would be nice but not necessary if you don't know when you're at 15-20'.
Wouldn't it be nice to not have to end your day of diving?

What about making the ascent from, say 60 feet down? Without a means to measure depth, most divers wil find it hard to make a safe ascent. I have to disagree with you; a recreational diver with one computer should carry a depth gauge as a backup for an emergency.

Because the computer does not require a square profile for its calculations, the dives actually done will often make the tables go haywire.
In that case, your day IS done. But, if your dive can be computed manually, you can figure out how to do the next dive.

Since the tables require a square profile, comparing apples to apples, some (e.g., Suunto) computers will give less time with a square profile than the tables tables.

Reset your safety factor to standard. Second, your "clarification" was dead wrong. You completely missed what I was driving at. If you have a new student carry a computer, they can compare their actual dive times with a table at the end of the dive, and see how much more time they gained. This can be a big selling point for a new diver.

For those who have the money to devote to this problem, the solution is a back-up computer.
Of course having a plan-b is a good idea, but the better backup for a failed computer while diving is another computer.
Wow...I wish I lived in your world. You know, the one without bills, a mortgage, kids, a wife (husband) and a dog; all who need food and shelter. I wish I had unlimited quantities of cash to blow on dive gear. Must be nice...

It took me a long time to buy a computer, even longer until I could afford two. For most people, a few hundred dollars isn't just something they have laying around to spend.

My point is that many divers can't afford ONE computer, let alone two. Not teaching them the backup is the PADI method of trying to squeeze another dollar out of them. Now, they HAVE to buy that computer or rent one on their trip. No doing a cheaper trip or set of dives. No diving for the day if their one computer does go down. You've done them a grave disservice.

The issue I see isn't backup and even though tables are a lousy option for this as compared to other options, it seems to be the only thing people bring up in every one of these discussions as a reason to keep training them.
Because it's a valid reason. Your idea to throw cash at the problem (buy more gear) is not one that is feasible for every diver.

In your example above, if, during the ultimate holiday, the diver fell back to tables and continued to dive the rest of the trip with them then they would ultimately get less bottom time for the trip than if they did a 12-18 hour SI and carried on with a new computer.
I never said it was the rest of the trip, did I? You're making things up. What I said is that tables can be a perfectly good means to get them through to the end of the DAY, where they can continue the next day with a new computer.

Much better than hanging up the fins for the rest of the day and watching their friends have all the fun, isn't it?

How would you address the problem I have mentioned a couple of times in this thread that after a period of time, people generally do not remember how to use the tables correctly? I see a risk in this that I believe can be better addressed by recommending using a 2nd computer as a backup. I see no benefit in assigning blame for this. It doesn't address the fact. The fact remains that if people do not use the tables on a regular basis most of them will forget over time how to apply them correctly.
Sorry, but since we are not born knowing how to dive, then it IS someone's fault. If the instructor does not teach them, or teaches them wrong, it IS your fault as an instructor.

If the diver is properly trained by you, then it is the diver's fault for not staying current in their training. It's called personal responsibility.

Second, it often takes a diver longer to learn a computer than tables. What do you do if the diver is a vacation diver who rents the computer there, or only uses their computer once or twice a year? Or if they have multiple computers? You have to dive a computer to get to use it properly. Many divers don't have the facilities to do this. Staying current with a set of tables involves nothing more than 30 minutes with the table, OW manual, and a pencil and paper. Less time than it takes to read the computer manual.

I still see instructors around me failing to teach computers and as a result they are teaching something the student isn't going to use and failing to teach something that the student WILL be using.
Then, because we all agree that teaching computers is essential, the real question is why haven't you slapped them upside the head (figuratively, or not; your choice) for not teaching to standard? Or reported them?

However, as I've said above, I see tables as an inferior way of backing up a computer, *especially* during that trip of a lifetime....s is the reason we can only use tables as a back up for computers if the dive *happens* to fall somewhere on the same map. Often times it does not.
And??? Either way, the diver would be done for the day. A backup does not have to cover every eventuality perfectly, just cover most well.

I disagree with you that learning tables makes one a more skilled diver. It might make them a more knowledgeable diver.
A more knowledgable diver IS a more skilled diver. They are better prepared to handle emergencies and failures.

---------- Post added March 16th, 2014 at 08:05 AM ----------

My point. if I were to take my tables on a dive trip I'd incur excess baggage as i have so many (I'm being flippant here) so they don't go on the "ultimate dive trip"
What??? "excesss baggage"???

You do know that tables come not in those big tables the instructor holds up in class to show everyone, right? They have the handy pocket size as well.

If my comp failed I'd scrub the next diver and hire one for the rest of the vacation. Blah blah blah with the backup argument it doesn't figure unless of course you take a spare set of everything!
Uh...No. If your reg or BC fails, you can always return and swap for another or rent another. Ask how many divers have a spare reg or BCD with them on every trip. It's not needed. But tables are like a save-a-dive kit. They are small, compact, take up no room. They let you overcome a small obstacle like a computer failure and continue your next dive, or two, or three; until the day is done. Then you can fix the problem of not having a computer.

By your logic, no diver should ever take ANY backup gear. No octo, no fin straps, no mask strap...nothing, unless they're prepared to haul their entire LDS with them. Your argument fails the common sense test.

For recreational dives I see no problem with not having redundancy. If the dive computer fails during the dive then the proper response is to ascend to the surface. A 3 minute safety stop at 15-20' would be nice but not necessary if you don't know when you're at 15-20'.

Sometimes the "proper" response isn't always the best. We are experienced, conservative divers. Last Nov., we were doing a guided drift dive in Cozumel. That day there was a lot of current and we were zipping along. My husband and I have the same computers and keep the same profile. His computer quit. We completed the dive on my computer. There was no way we were going to ascend, do a safety stop, and come up somewhere behind the boat in that current.

Wow...I wish I lived in your world. You know, the one without bills, a mortgage, kids, a wife (husband) and a dog; all who need food and shelter. I wish I had unlimited quantities of cash to blow on dive gear. Must be nice...

T.C., how the hell did this diver get to go on the ultimate dive trip?

I sure want to live in your world, must be nice to go on a ultimate dive trip even though all I can afford is tables.

T.C., how the hell did this diver get to go on the ultimate dive trip?

I sure want to live in your world, must be nice to go on a ultimate dive trip even though all I can afford is tables.
Ultimate for you is different than ultimate for others. Maybe a trip to the Keys in winter is their version of ultimate. People who dive only a few times a year may have to scrimp and save to make that trip, and all they can afford is to rent a computer for the trip.

Second, nowhere did I say that ALL they can afford is tables. This is a backup, for when their computer fails. Should they be condemned to lose out on their hard-earned vacation because you think that they should buy more, and not be taught to help themselves?

It be nice to live in your world, where you have all the gear you can afford, and can scorn the impoverished masses who can't afford everything you can.

You might have missed my point T.C., sorry, too much sarcasm perhaps.

When I was in that situation, instead of going on ultimate dive trips, I refocused my energy into seeking better qualifications for myself, so that I could earn a better living, one in which I would not have to compromise safety in pursuing the hobbies I so much love, because I needed to scrimp money for it.

It be nice to live in your world, where you have all the gear you can afford

Well, I'm not there yet.
I dove for many years on recreational level, knowing I had the skills and the mentality to go beyond, into full trimix and cave diving, and I wanted it badly, it was years of dreaming about those crystal clear waters and beauty of caves, what I didn't have then, was the money to buy the gear and training necessary to pursue my dreams safely.
I waited until I could not only buy gear and training, but also be able to do those dives regularly so my skills would not deteriorate.

It be nice to live in your world, where you have all the gear you can afford, and can scorn the impoverished masses who can't afford everything you can.

You should recognize (if not admit) that your arguments along this line mischaracterize what is being said. No one argues that everyone can afford everything. No one here is scorning those who can't. No one is saying tables are a bad idea and shouldn't be taught.

The question here is really limited to whether tables are a sufficiently useful backup for a failed dive computer such that teaching the tables to every student is a worthwhile exercise.

You yourself said:

People who dive only a few times a year may have to scrimp and save to make that trip, and all they can afford is to rent a computer for the trip.
Well if they can afford to rent a computer for the first two days, and the computer goes on the blink the second day, they can return it and rent a new one for the third day. So the expense argument is specious.

Yes, one suggestion for backup is to have a second dive computer and wear it for all dives with the first one (so that it accurately tracks predicted residual nitrogen), but no is suggesting that tables not be taught because everyone should dive with two computers.

A number of examples have been given to you where dive tables would not be useful for a second dive where a dive computer failed after the first dive. Because dive computers extend allowable bottom time with multi-level diving, I submit that most dives in vacation spots exceed what the tables would allow with a square profile.

So the usefulness of the tables on this score (as a back-up) is limited to: (1) the remainder of the day that the computer fails (because you can rent one for the next day) (2) provided the first dive was a square profile (3) and provided you know your maximum depth for that first dive and (4) provided you have a means of determining in advance of diving the maximum depth for your subsequent dives that day.

This issue reminds me of the debate on another forum on the issue of the Army dropping bayonet training. Why would the Army drop such traditional training? Time. Money is not the only valuable resource that is limited. Time is limited too.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where instructors had unlimited time to teach all that should be taught, but we don't. So the powers that be have to decide what is of maximum usefulness in the limited amount of time available. Given that most new divers will use computers and most won't use the tables (and their newly acquired skill with tables will promptly wither), it seems a reasonable choice to teach students what they are almost certain to use in the limited time available for teaching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom