OW student problems............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he doesn't seem to understand the concepts of the tables, then I would suggest NOT giving his ceritification. He may be great in the water (bouyancy and all that) but if he truly doesn't understand the dangers involves then he is an accident waiting to happen.

I don't agree with the idea that "if they can use a computer, then they are ok". I honestly believe that a student has to understand what the computer is telling him before he is certified. What happens if he can't afford a computer after he has his c-card? If he isn't able to use the tables, then he shouldn't be in the water by himself.

I know the trend is to use a computer during OW. And, I think that is ok...as long as the students understand everything the computer is telling them. But, common sense has to be involved too.

Remember, you are under NO obligation to certify this student. If you have to...refund the price of the class, but if you do not feel comfortable certifying him..don't do it. A way to look at it is...would you want him as your buddy after he is certified?

Just my personal opinion.

Thank you for helping us to make up our minds.

It is very wise NOT to certify this guy, and so we did.

We gave him his money back and that was the end of the story.

Fa:):):)

Just to add my $.02
I think the greatest compliment you can give to a diver and that is "you can be my dive buddy anytime" or "I would dive with you anytime" that tells me and anyone listening that that person knows what they are doing and are competent in the basic emergency skills that could save themselves or a buddy.

Sky, I can empathize completely.

Last year I had 4 young men who were ADHD taking an open water course with me. Of those four only one actually completed open water training and was certified by me. I "heard" two wound up doing referrals while on vacation, but cannot verify this fact. One fellow was unable to complete the academics and the confined water.

This latter young man, in addition to being ADHD also seemed to have perceptual and conceptual problems that I could not overcome. He consistently failed all the written tests, even when they were administered orally. (Yes, PADI does allow for this.) In confined water he mastered some skills, but ultimately could not progress beyond the first couple of modules.

In the end, the specialized school advisor who was resposible for these students tanking the course (and who helped me tailor the course to their needs, even so far as to participating in all the academics & confined water sessions) and I came to the decision that no matter how much the young man wanted to scuba dive, he simply was unable to do it. And his parents were diplomatically informed that he couldn't dive.

BTW, if you ever want to test your patience and teaching skills, instructing ADHD students will certainly do it. It also ME a lot too!

~SubMariner~

As a dive student with dyslexia and dysgraphia I feel that if I can't calculate and explain a dive plan I would expext me instructor to withold certifaction. I am trusting my instructor to know if I am ready better then I do. I know this puts alot of presure on the instructor but I would rather be told not to dive then to be let lose unprepared.

Originally posted by scubabunny
I don't agree with the idea that "if they can use a computer, then they are ok". I honestly believe that a student has to understand what the computer is telling him before he is certified. What happens if he can't afford a computer after he has his c-card? If he isn't able to use the tables, then he shouldn't be in the water by himself.
The SDI program requires a computer as part of your basic dive equipment. No computer, no diving. Under those circumstances I see no problem.
How many of you actually carry tables with you in addition to your computer? I still do, but I'll bet dollars to donuts I'm a relic and a rarity.
Rick

My .02 My son is also ADDHD and he has his OW. His exam was read to him orally and he passed with 86%. He can do read and calculate the tables with ease. He did have to be shown and instructed verbally.

Once he caught on AOK. Butch =-)

Rick,

I would never call you a relic...but rarity? Ah, yes, good word selection! And you would win my dollar or donut (Actually, when it comes to that shape, I prefer bagels, though. Have bagels found their way to LA?). But I still take them along in the case the holds my log book. Does that count?

Joewr (who will never be a relic)

I still record everything in my logbook and do the tables manually even though I have a Vyper. The computer records my dive bit I prefer using the tables, it is a little more conservative IMHO.

Joewr, yes we DO HAVE bagels in LA, I understand there is a special store for WWW's. I am sure the Welcome sign will be hanging out for you when you finally make it down here to get your toes wet.

"How many of you actually carry tables with you in addition to your computer? I still do, but I'll bet dollars to donuts I'm a relic and a rarity."

Both Pearce & I still lug around our tables... both flat & wheel versions. Afterall, how can we teach them if we don't have/know them?

Guess we're "dinosaurs" too! :wink:

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom