OW student problems............

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a special ed teacher (SLD, LLD, EH, SED, EMH, PI AND OTHERS{I'm even certified in two states} does't mean that much!)I deal with ADHD & ADD and the dysgraphic and other forms of disabilities in the High and Jr High schools. I have taught students hearing voices/music or have such mood swings that they can be smiling then crying in the same minute. I have taught Autistic children algebra and non-verbal to comunicate with computers.
Teaching the charts to these people is extremely interesting and I agree without them getting it, they should not be certified. But it can be done. You must first learn which mode of learning is their strength and which is their weakness. Then you must saturate them with the different senses toward that strenght. Sounds easier than done. I will say that I don't always succeed with my students. I must say though, if you have a motivated one who WANTS to learn, I think you have a golden opportunity. I wish to teach and that is what I do, unfortunately, not all is reached....that to me is very sad...that is why is if the student is willing then so am I, and we'll get some how..some way!

First i am not a real teacher, i never learned any special teaching techniques.
I am not a psychologist, and cannot adapt my diving teaching to those types of students.

Of course you always can adapt slightly teaching; for my students we tried a few different ways (for example orally teaching…)

he surely had some learning problems, but alsso was to focused on the practical aspect.
What we also did was to try teaching theory using piratical example during in water sessions ( with diving gear.)

But even if the student is finally understanding the theory, he still might be to slow to handle real practical problems by its one.

Thanks again for helping making up my mind.

Fa.:):):)

Are there any options for awarding a lower certification level than OW? I believe we have the concept of 'resort diver' here in Aus - which basicually means you can only dive under supervision of an instructor.

If the individual had the physical capability, but was lacking the intellectual ability, then perhaps it is only dive planning they are unable to do? Therefore, if they were forced to dive only when there was an experienced diver to conduct the planning, and ensure they stick to it - then perhaps they would be OK?

Actually... perhaps this should be mandatory for PADI OW divers anyway...

ciao
Mike

On the topic of tables and computers: yes, I still lug around the tables (RDP and navy) and a couple of computers.

On the topic of OW cert: the above post seems right on track. I don't believe that the student should be certified as a all out OW, however I think PADI has the option in place that allows a student to be cert at a lower level (ie the ol' resort course) until they can progress. Furthermore, I don't believe that a person should absolutely know the tables to pass the cert requirements, but rather understand the rudimentary physiology and theory behind them (perhaps that's the SDI philosophy?). Tables are from the old days; philosophies and technology have changed, thus allowing less math and easier diving experiences. I believe that tables will be forgotten in the recreational area sometime, but that the theory and physiology shall always be there. That's the important piece.

A suggestion: have someone else who is competent in your curriculum attempt a new angle with this student. In times of frustration, it is difficult, if not impossible to keep a clear mind. This student needs to take a break (as does the instructor), then come back and tackle the problem. When I have issues like this, I find someone else to teach the student; someone like another instructor, Divemaster, or even another diver who may have a different way of thinking about the situation and teach it a little different than I would. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't supervise, but rather I admit that a new angle needs to be addressed.

I wish you luck.

I guess this fellow student is able to dive under supervision (of an instructor or experienced dive master) because his pool training was ok.

We tried many way for teaching him rudiments of diving physiology, table use…
Different people performed the teaching.
We also didn’t rush and took some breaks.

I don’t mind the guy diving with me or other instructors or experienced dive masters, his behavior is correct.
During a few pool sessions we did put him under stress: like closing down his tank, pulling of his reg. and dive mask.
He responded correctly, so we decided to take him for a few shallow water intro dives ( under supervision by two instructors )

He knows he has not to stop breathing while diving and certainly not when ascending, he does not understand the B.M. law; but knows it is dangerous if breath holding during dives.

If there would be something like a diver license “ less than open water “ I assume I would be ok for him.

I will check again on that and see what we can do.

Socaldiver,

LA does not mean LA. Is that clear? Let me put it another way: LA does not mean Los Angeles, when Rick M.(I do not have the time to write Murchison) writes "LA", he means "Lower Alabama"! I don't know if they have a copyright on that, though. So get ahold of jdb and start a law suit...

Joewr

The SDI program requires a computer as part of your basic dive equipment. No computer, no diving. Under those circumstances I see no problem.
How many of you actually carry tables with you in addition to your computer? I still do, but I'll bet dollars to donuts I'm a relic and a rarity.
Rick
I carry 2 computers, one of them running with my gases and the other in gauge mode and a set of tables in the left pocket of my drysuit.

relic and rarity? among the recreational crowd maybe. Most tech divers I know always have a set of tables and a bottom timer or computer in gauge mode as a back up to their primary computer.

edit:Wow, I just realized this thread was 9 yrs old...woops

Back
Top Bottom